SMSL / VMV D1SE Impressions thread
Feb 10, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #16 of 59
Between this and the Mojo 2 for my next dac. We'll see what I end up with!!

As mentioned above in the thread, I've been using D1SE on my main setup since last fall – and just yesterday got the Mojo 2 for desktop & on-the-go use. So might be able to provide some insights to your choice. 😉 (Although very initial ones so far when it comes to Mojo2…)

In the big picture both devices are in the same approximate ballpark when it comes to overall sound quality: loads of detail throughout the frequency range, nothing sounds forced or overly sharpened, everything sounds just "right" and natural in a way that not many other DACs that I've heard do. Have noticed some differences though: D1SE might lack just a tiny bit on the final kick & grunt when it comes to impact of loud rock & electronica – Mojo 2 brings more of that punch home. And in the meanwhile, think D1SE might do just a bit better with vocals and timbre of instruments, in terms of being able to paint those out in an absolutely fantastic & emotional way. But what I think really is the major win for the D1SE is the sound color options: at least in my system, the Rich 2 options really makes my headphones (Quad Era-1 on JDS Labs El Amp) sing in a magical way that I do miss when I use the Mojo 2, no matter how good it is in every other regard.

So I'd say it's a slight win for the D1SE when it comes to how things sound (in my setup, that's always the disclaimer!). But then again Mojo 2 wins hands down in versatility – D1SE sits where I've set it up, but Mojo 2 goes anywhere with me and connects to pretty much everything, and does that with amazing sound quality.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #17 of 59
I have treble issues that mess with my head nerves. Would you say this is less harsh or warmer? sound. I think I would like a warmer sound. I’m looking at this DAC the SMSL SU-9 and the SMSL SU-8S, SMSL DO200, LOXJIE D50, LOXJIE D40, SMSL M500 MK2, and the SMSL VMV D1SE or the SMSL SU-9N. I stream music with Tidal and never heard MQA but would like to have. I have an SMSL SP200 Amp with Hifiman Ananda and soon will get Focal Clear or Elex.
I own this DAC. Overall I like it.

My first one needed to be sent back. Apos Audio was not easy to deal with when I needed a return. They are great when making sales.

All of that aside, I like detail and don’t mind if that comes with a bit of harshness at times if I hear more of the music. It doesnt bother my ears, but I have a friend that is treble sensitive and found it a little harsh.

This DAC in my experience does not leave out any frequencies, so if certain ones hurt your ears you might consider a different option such as Denafrips Ares or Pontus II. Check the youtube reviews on them. They are stellar. Some well know reviewers really like them eg) Steve Guttenburg, Hans Bakhusen, Thomas and Stereo. The reviewer named, A British Audiophile compares the D1Se to the Denafrips. He prefers the Denafrips.

My next DAC will most likely be the Denafrips, its reviewed as having smooth sound, outstanding sound stage and depth, holographic imaging and great micro detail.

Good luck with your search!

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #18 of 59
As mentioned above in the thread, I've been using D1SE on my main setup since last fall – and just yesterday got the Mojo 2 for desktop & on-the-go use. So might be able to provide some insights to your choice. 😉 (Although very initial ones so far when it comes to Mojo2…)

In the big picture both devices are in the same approximate ballpark when it comes to overall sound quality: loads of detail throughout the frequency range, nothing sounds forced or overly sharpened, everything sounds just "right" and natural in a way that not many other DACs that I've heard do. Have noticed some differences though: D1SE might lack just a tiny bit on the final kick & grunt when it comes to impact of loud rock & electronica – Mojo 2 brings more of that punch home. And in the meanwhile, think D1SE might do just a bit better with vocals and timbre of instruments, in terms of being able to paint those out in an absolutely fantastic & emotional way. But what I think really is the major win for the D1SE is the sound color options: at least in my system, the Rich 2 options really makes my headphones (Quad Era-1 on JDS Labs El Amp) sing in a magical way that I do miss when I use the Mojo 2, no matter how good it is in every other regard.

So I'd say it's a slight win for the D1SE when it comes to how things sound (in my setup, that's always the disclaimer!). But then again Mojo 2 wins hands down in versatility – D1SE sits where I've set it up, but Mojo 2 goes anywhere with me and connects to pretty much everything, and does that with amazing sound quality.
Thanks for the insight. I really do gravitate towards the D1SE due to its sound filtering options. The Mojo 2 peaked my interested because it has the built in EQ presets, but perhaps the sound filtering options on the D1SE are more refined and give that slight shift, as opposed to just boosting or lowering frequencies.

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #19 of 59
Thanks for the insight. I really do gravitate towards the D1SE due to its sound filtering options. The Mojo 2 peaked my interested because it has the built in EQ presets, but perhaps the sound filtering options on the D1SE are more refined and give that slight shift, as opposed to just boosting or lowering frequencies.

The sound color options on D1SE are NOT EQs of any kind and produce quite different results. They add (pleasant) harmonic distortions to the sound, a bit in similar fashion as a tube amp does naturally. So they're not about boosting any particular frequencies but more about adding weight (in varying ways, depending on the options used) around the original core soundwaves. There are pretty good graphs available online to show the effect of each of the filter, those make it pretty clear to see what's going on (sorry, don't have any links at hand for those atm…)

The EQ on Mojo 2 on the other hand seems to be really, really good as far as EQs go. I haven't really e.g. liked the EQ options available on Roon, but the ones in Mojo 2 make it really easy to shape the tonality of the sound to better suit headphones you're using. E.g. my trusted old Sennheiser HD-25sp's are a bit veiled in the treble, but boosting that area on M2 a bit makes them sound like much more balanced set of headphones. Same with crossfeed – haven't really used it in Roon, it didn't sound "right" but the one in M2 clearly widens the soundstage without introducing any weirdness to the sound.

Feb 10, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #20 of 59
The sound color options on D1SE are NOT EQs of any kind and produce quite different results. They add (pleasant) harmonic distortions to the sound, a bit in similar fashion as a tube amp does naturally. So they're not about boosting any particular frequencies but more about adding weight (in varying ways, depending on the options used) around the original core soundwaves. There are pretty good graphs available online to show the effect of each of the filter, those make it pretty clear to see what's going on (sorry, don't have any links at hand for those atm…)
Found the link for the measurement graphs: https://goldensound.audio/2021/12/27/smsl-d1se-measurements/

And here's the essential bit as text:

"There are three settings, ‘Tube’, ‘Crystal’ and ‘Rich’, with three strengths of each.
These do NOT change frequency response. They just alter harmonic distortion, with ‘Tube’ adding 2nd order harmonics, ‘Crystal’ adding 3rd order harmonics, and ‘Rich’ adding both 2nd and 3rd order harmonics."

Feb 10, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #21 of 59
Thank you for the link!! I actually just got Roon today and have been playing around with its EQ. It seems to me that Roon's EQ combined with the D1SE's harmonic distortion option would be the more robust and fully featured chain. It could provide incredible flexibility when altering the sound and seemingly work with any setup.

And, 74 pages lol!! I do not really know how to read and interpret these measurements, but hopefully it can serve as a springboard for beginning to better understand.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #22 of 59
Thank you for the link!! I actually just got Roon today and have been playing around with its EQ. It seems to me that Roon's EQ combined with the D1SE's harmonic distortion option would be the more robust and fully featured chain. It could provide incredible flexibility when altering the sound and seemingly work with any setup.

And, 74 pages lol!! I do not really know how to read and interpret these measurements, but hopefully it can serve as a springboard for beginning to better understand.

Yeah, agree that D1SE's sound color options and EQ from some other component (e.g. Roon) would nicely complement each other in producing fantastic amount of flexibility.

Sound color options are pretty unique property of D1SE. Other than using a proper tube amp, it's difficult to produce those exact results. At least I haven't seen any DSP filters that do anything similar.

The essential measurements on the sound colors are just below the quoted text I pasted above, you can see the spikes in varying places corresponding to what the text states – the rest of the loooong page is basically just saying that it's a really good DAC 😂

Feb 10, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #23 of 59
Yeah, agree that D1SE's sound color options and EQ from some other component (e.g. Roon) would nicely complement each other in producing fantastic amount of flexibility.

Sound color options are pretty unique property of D1SE. Other than using a proper tube amp, it's difficult to produce those exact results. At least I haven't seen any DSP filters that do anything similar.

The essential measurements on the sound colors are just below the quoted text I pasted above, you can see the spikes in varying places corresponding to what the text states – the rest of the loooong page is basically just saying that it's a really good DAC 😂
Yes, I've always considered adding a tube pre-amp to my chain, but this makes things so much easier. I also hate wires, so the less, the better. :)

Feb 10, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #24 of 59
yes, d50 is also considered less, harsh/fatiguing. I haven't heard it unfortunately. I have M500, although I'm mostly fine with it, I can relate why most people may find it harsh. Since dacs effect the sound less than headphones and amps in the chain, that slight improvement might not be enough for your issues.
I heard tthe LOXJIE did not use the AKM4499 chip fully and only used half of it like only two channels. I think these are my choices SU-9 D1SE D50 Or the DO200. I was looking at the M500MK2. What about this one with that chip SMSL D300 DAC ROHM BD34301EKV

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #26 of 59
Do most of you hear a big difference with the sound filters,

I dont hear much change with mine. Of course it all depends on the setup…

The differences are more minor than I had thought based on the reviews I'd seen. And very much dependant on the system.

Don't hear much anything with my speakers via tube amp, think the harmonics produced by the tubes overpower anything put out by D1SE – if anything, things start to sound a bit unnatural with any of the filters in this setup, so running my D1SE in standard mode with speakers. I heard only very minor differences with my earlier main headphones, Hifiman HE-400s. BUT, as mentioned above, with my current Quad Era-1 headphones, the differences clearly are there – Rich & Tube indeed make the sound fuller as the sound extends a bit around the original wave. And Rich 2 seems to be the absolute sweet spot for those headphones, something magical starts happening. Have heard many people also say similar things about those headphones when used via tube amps, so there must be some synergy there with the harmonics. Both of my headphones mentioned were driven by JDS Labs Element amp (a solid state machine).

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #27 of 59

Did a bit more focused comparative listening (not proper A/B-testing though) between Mojo 2 and D1SE and still feeling pretty similarly – D1SE is clearly the better DAC out of these two for me. Some notes:

- On U2's Mysterious Ways after 0:20 there's a bit of an interesting echo in the mix in Bono's voice which I hadn't noticed before, it's very evident with D1SE and placed further apart from the main vocal, on Mojo 2 it's less apparent and doesn't extend as far (even with crossfeed enabled, which extends the sound stage somewhat)
- On Massive Attack's Paradise Circus (Tight Rope Remix) there's a delicious DEEP bass starting at around 0:50. That bass extends further down with D1SE and it also has a bit more definition/control. On Mojo 2 I can of course boost the bass with the EQ to even out the playing field, but even with that it's not exactly the same.
- Highwomen by The Highwomen (a cover of the classic Highwayman by all-female country supergroup) starts off with female vocal that gives me the goosebumps everytime I listen to it. That "skin-effect" is clearly stronger on D1SE, while M2 also gets close but not quite there.
- the opening of Muse's Map of the Problematique is mixed quite full with distorted guitars & heavy bass drums & keyboard, something that gets easily messed up with lesser DACs. Both handle this well with detailed separation between all elements. Again D1SE triggers more emotional response from the lovely distorted guitar sound for me, M2 doesn't sound a least bit less defined but still lacks that final "I wanna keep on jamming for this forever"-feeling I get with D1SE.

All listening was done on Quad Era-1 headphones, with JDS Labs Element amp as the headphone amp for the D1SE. Playing lossless Qobuz streams via Roon. Rich 2 sound color enabled on D1SE.

All & all Mojo 2 has made me appreciate my D1SE even more, knowing how much of fantastic & unique electronic design has been put to M2 and hearing how D1SE can keep on besting it through & through. Granted, they're in different categories, D1SE costing about the same while being a DAC alone and M2 being a tiny mobile DAC and amp.

Feb 17, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #28 of 59
Did a bit more focused comparative listening (not proper A/B-testing though) between Mojo 2 and D1SE and still feeling pretty similarly – D1SE is clearly the better DAC out of these two for me. Some notes:

- On U2's Mysterious Ways after 0:20 there's a bit of an interesting echo in the mix in Bono's voice which I hadn't noticed before, it's very evident with D1SE and placed further apart from the main vocal, on Mojo 2 it's less apparent and doesn't extend as far (even with crossfeed enabled, which extends the sound stage somewhat)
- On Massive Attack's Paradise Circus (Tight Rope Remix) there's a delicious DEEP bass starting at around 0:50. That bass extends further down with D1SE and it also has a bit more definition/control. On Mojo 2 I can of course boost the bass with the EQ to even out the playing field, but even with that it's not exactly the same.
- Highwomen by The Highwomen (a cover of the classic Highwayman by all-female country supergroup) starts off with female vocal that gives me the goosebumps everytime I listen to it. That "skin-effect" is clearly stronger on D1SE, while M2 also gets close but not quite there.
- the opening of Muse's Map of the Problematique is mixed quite full with distorted guitars & heavy bass drums & keyboard, something that gets easily messed up with lesser DACs. Both handle this well with detailed separation between all elements. Again D1SE triggers more emotional response from the lovely distorted guitar sound for me, M2 doesn't sound a least bit less defined but still lacks that final "I wanna keep on jamming for this forever"-feeling I get with D1SE.

All listening was done on Quad Era-1 headphones, with JDS Labs Element amp as the headphone amp for the D1SE. Playing lossless Qobuz streams via Roon. Rich 2 sound color enabled on D1SE.

All & all Mojo 2 has made me appreciate my D1SE even more, knowing how much of fantastic & unique electronic design has been put to M2 and hearing how D1SE can keep on besting it through & through. Granted, they're in different categories, D1SE costing about the same while being a DAC alone and M2 being a tiny mobile DAC and amp.

ordered the VMV D1SE hope ill be great. Was looking at the M400 too hope the D1SE is better more warmer or less harsh. im running Ananda and a sp200.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #29 of 59
All in all the dac is pretty good, resolution is there, it's alot less harsh/fatiguing than most I've tried, staging (width, depth and placement) is good and spatial information is very present. It can sound small or huge, latency is low enough for gaming. The bass layering is impressive.

My only complaint is that it feels like the treble is lacking energy or is rolled off, which hits timbre a bit too much for my liking.

Feb 21, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #30 of 59
All in all the dac is pretty good, resolution is there, it's not harsh/fatiguing on almost all songs. Staging (width, depth and placement) is good and spatial information is very present. It can sound small or huge. Latency is low enough for gaming and movies. The bass layering is impressive.

My only complaint is that it feels like the treble is lacking energy or is rolled off, which hits timbre a bit too much for my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back