SMSL / VMV D1SE Impressions thread
Apr 23, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #48 of 59
Have had one for about 1,5 months now – it does indeed sound fantastic! I replaced my well-served Cambridge Audio DacMagic (original model) with this, and the difference is very, very clear.

Sound with D1se is much wider, individual instruments are really well separated even in tracks that are mixed "full". Get a proper "chills down the spine" feeling with certain type of music, esp. female vocals sound amazing (e.g. Heather Nova: Rewild Me, Highwomen covering the Highwayman classic), as does distorted guitars in Dinosaur Jr's I Walk For Miles. Even with plenty of details throughout, nothing sounds fatiguing of pearcing. E.g. jazz that has plenty of dynamics (Kamasi Washington, Jan Garbarek, Coltrane) rolls smoothly when it could earlier feel a bit overly harsh esp. with strong saxophone segments etc.

Personally I don't hear massive changes between the sound color modes which some reviewers have sworn to be night&day differences. Rich 2 or Tube 2 does sound maybe a bit fuller/wider on a solid state headphone amp than the default so usually have either of those selected, levels 3 start to sound a bit unnatural to my ears. With tube amp & speakers the differences are even less there, probably due to the real tubes in the amp overpowering any added harmonics in the DAC.

The display is really stupid when you're running this in fixed output mode: it keeps on screaming "99" as volume with the massive font size, and all the other details you need to squint to see (e.g. bit rate etc). But that's about the only negative thing I can think of this DAC 😅
Came across a SMSL VMV D1 SE on Canuck Audiomart. $500cdn, including delivery, was included, which was a minimum, I'm sure $30. Pulled the trigger quickly and just couple hours later received tracking number. I have a sizeable music collection on Flac, through hard drive and computer setup with Tidal. My desk top power is a Kinki Studio EXM1, upgraded four of op amps on the pre section. Have a large 3 way bookshelf, in near field and hear it all with an 8inch full range for mid range. Using Fiio K7 headphone amplifier but my system and SMSL VMV D1 SE and will been in good position right away to tell the preset sounds apart on this dac.

Will update in couple weeks to this post.

Apr 24, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #50 of 59
The D1SE 2 is an upgrade across the board.

D1SE - SABRE ES9038PRO DAC chip, XU216 XMOS, 3 of the OPA1614A opamps. dynamic range XLR: 130db, RCA: 123dB.

D1SE 2 - SABRE ES9039MSPRO DAC chip, XU316 XMOS, 11 of the OPA1614A opamps, CK-03 clock module, dynamic range XLR: 133dB, RCA: 128db.

There is no reason to buy the original D1SE anymore. The D1SE 2 costs exactly the same amount as well.

Apr 25, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #51 of 59
what is the diff in SQ between this one and D1SE?
Hi, I saw you got yours yesterday Malin. I just received and listening about an hour to my SMSL VMV D1 SE. It was purchased used so break in worries. I will let you know what I think after today but for sure imaging is impressive and smooth top end. Congrats on Dac.
16824621197067617888382856417499.jpg

Apr 25, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #52 of 59
Hi, I saw you got yours yesterday Malin. I just received and listening about an hour to my SMSL VMV D1 SE. It was purchased used so break in worries. I will let you know what I think after today but for sure imaging is impressive and smooth top end. Congrats on Dac.16824621197067617888382856417499.jpg
One thing using Some clean RCAs but my XLRs are in storage till next week, aaaarrg! 7db difference at 130db with XLR. Will be interesting for sure. I will definitely want to run something with complete options through Bluetooth on the DAC.

May 26, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #53 of 59
I thought I got a steal on a smsl vmv d1se and bought one for $350 buy it now. Received the item and the seller put it in a big box with no cushioning . I'm like What. The glass screen is shattered , I have to return it. I tested it it's working and it's a pretty good dac and I like it. I might buy the d1se2

May 27, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #54 of 59
See if you can get the screen, as a part ordered through Shenchen Audio or other dealer Alibaba. I would hold on to it for what you paid but sometimes things are relative to time. I'm sure the SMSL VMV D1 SE2 is a bit of an upgrade but by how much. Myself, I'll enjoy current model till price on used market will drop and even bigger bargin.

Jun 3, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #55 of 59
i ended up buying the d1se2 , i also have the ares 2 - im all set between dacs.im loving it - some songs and genre do well with the ares and some on the d1se2 .

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #58 of 59
@GoldenOne question about the VMV D1SE.

On your website you say it performs best when the volume is reduced by 1-2db. How many steps of the 99 on the volume dial would that be?

I'm assuming it's not as simple as reducing the volume form 99 to 97 (as I don't imagine each step is 1db)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back