Sony WM1AM2 and WM1ZM2 Android Walkman Optimization Guide
May 22, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #16 of 159
Unfortunately I don’t own the WM1ZM2. I don’t have the gold volume control UI for my WM1AM2.

Did you disable anything outside of what I have listed?

I think your best course of action is to roll back what you have disabled. It should solve the issue.

I disabled everything on your list, golden volume knob is still on.

Way to go @kenjamin0523 , you just downgraded your WM1ZM2 to WM1AM2 :p

May 23, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #18 of 159
I fixed it, seems like it is a “volumectrlpanel.icx1299res”. This service is automatic disable, and I dont notice it at the first place I just uninstall on disable service lol.

Oct 9, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #19 of 159
It is possible to change wallpaper on the Walkman. You need to install nova launcher from app store. Change wallpaper from there. You can still choose to use back the default launcher afterwards.
I think it’s still possible without Nova launcher.
I’ d like to create my own, custom wallpaper.
Screen resolution of NW-WM1AM2 is 1280 x 720.
In order to create a pixel perfect wallpaper, I need to double the horizontal line, so the final output should be 1280 x 1440, correct ?

Oct 9, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #20 of 159
What's happened to Sonywalkmanuser ? Looks like not on since May 22, 2022. Hope he's OK.

I imported a Japanese set off Sony IER-M9's to use with my Sony 1AM2 based on his feedback and very nice they are too :thumbsup:

Oct 15, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #21 of 159
Does anyone know how to change the "owner" name above the device name? Thanks!

Oct 29, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #22 of 159
I have had some interesting findings about Walkman, and would like to share.

1/ Can Walkman be used as a Line out source ?

The clear answer is ”Sony doesn’t recommend it”. However, if you want to, you can still use it, and it is best with utilizing ground connection from 3.5mm. The sound quality will not be as good as phone out. Because the system is designed to take into account the Load Reactance of the voice coils.

2/ What if it is used as Line out into transformer input on Hi-Fi amplifier ?

Again, Sony doesn’t recommend it, but it may be used

3/ Why does 4.4mm have no Ground connected inside the Walkman ?

Balanced connection doesn’t need ground, and using ground will cause noises on plugging and unplugging.

4/ On the 1ZM2 specifically, the back plate is Aluminum Goldplated, which makes the color a little mismatched to the main OFC-Godo-plated chassis. Why not be using OFC gold plating on the back for a better color matching ?

It is because the back is thin, and OFC as a back plate can easily be dented, deformed. Therefore, it is best with Aluminum Gold plated. Sony goes as far as to be using Milled Aluminum back plate on the 1ZM2 for better tensile strength.

Nov 1, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #23 of 159
1/ Can Walkman be used as a Line out source ?

The clear answer is ”Sony doesn’t recommend it”. However, if you want to, you can still use it, and it is best with utilizing ground connection from 3.5mm. The sound quality will not be as good as phone out. Because the system is designed to take into account the Load Reactance of the voice coils.

Yep, tried it with a ddHifi adapter connected to C9. Voltage supplied to the C9 is really lack luster. So lesson learned with the M2, I'll reach for another DAP if I want Line Out 🤪

Nov 1, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #24 of 159
General Disclaimers:
This guide is completely optional, you don't have to perform this optimization if you don't feel comfortable with adjusting with inner workings of android OS
There is no guarantee that this guide will not cause unexpected issues with operation of your Walkman. Try at your risk.
Please feel free to add anything else missing from this guide

Enabling Fresh Out of box Settings:
Settings >Hi-Res Streaming >Slide to right
Settings > Battery > Battery Percentage > Slide to right
Settings > Battery > Battery Care > Use Battery Care > Slide to right

Gain Access to Android Developer Options:
Settings > About Device > scroll to bottom of page, then Tap Ten times on Build Number
Once this is done, go to:
Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options
Windows animation scale > Animation Off
Transition animation scale > Animation Off
Animator duration scale > Animation Off
Doing the above will disable unnecessary Android system fade animation that slows down App switching(along with unnecessary graphics processing power usage). You will notice more instantaneous app switching.

Apps that are deem safe(by me) to disable in the context of using your Walkman for streaming apps and music playback.
Settings > Apps & notifications > See All xx APPS > Tap on 3 dots at top right of screen > Show System >

Apps to disable(tap on each app and tap on disable):
Please note that you can also uninstall apps which is more effective than just disabling apps but to uninstall apps you need to enable usb debugging mode and use a software on your computer to uninstall. Please read further down this thread for more info:

Android Accessibility Suite
Blocked Numbers Storage
Bookmark Provider
Calculator
Calendar Storage
com.android.contacts.ContactsApplication
com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks
com.android.soundrecorder
Contacts Storage
Default Print Service
Digital Wellbeing
Drive
Duo
Example Wallpapers
Gmail
Google
Google Contacts Sync
Google Partner Setup
Google One Time Init
Google TV
Market Feedback Agent
Maps
MusicFX
Photos
Print Service Recommendation Service
Speech Services by Google

If any APPs start having issues running on your walkman, you can restore back the original App settings by doing this:
Settings > Apps & notifications > See All xx APPS > Tap on 3 dots at top right of screen > Reset app preferences

Privacy and other settings to check

Settings > Location > Off

Settings > Accounts > Automatically sync app data > slide to left

Settings > Network and Internet >Airplane mode > Slide to right

Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi preferences > Notify for public networks > slide to left

Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi >Scan settings > Wi-Fi scanning > slide to left

Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi >Scan settings > Bluetooth scanning > slide to left

Settings > Connected devices > Connection preferences > Tap on Bluetooth > Wireless Playback Quality > (set according to your preferences)

Settings > Connected devices > Connection preferences >Nearby Share > Off

Settings > System > Languages & input > On-screen keyboard > Gboard >Advanced > Share usage statistics > Slide to left

Settings > System > Languages & input > On-screen keyboard > Gboard >Advanced > Improve voice and typing for everyone > Slide to left

Settings > Google > Personalize using shared data > slide left for everything listed here

Settings > Accessibility > Remove animations > Slide to right

Settings > Google > tap on 3 dots at top right hand corner > Usage & diagnostic > Slide left

(Ignore this) For Google search result hit:

ソニーWM1AM2およびWM1ZM2 Androidウォークマン最適化ガイド

索尼 WM1AM2 和 WM1ZM2 安卓随身听优化指南

Maybe you can also add:

Under Developer Options:

Stay Awake - OFF (Well, personal preferrence)

Under Networking - Mobile data always active - OFF

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #25 of 159
Something to consider adding to the main list:
Disable (or uninstall) GBoard and replace by an open source, light-weight, no frills and permission-free alternative.
My choice fell on
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=rkr.simplekeyboard.inputmethod
But I’m sure there are many other good keyboard alternatives.

Addendum 10.11.2022:
When you have finished the above installation of the new keyboard, it's essential to re-enter your Android settings in order to avoid being unable to type anything.
Here's how:
Go to Settings->System->Languages & input->On-screen keyboard
Here you have to choose the new keyboard, in my example "Simple Keyboard"
When done, perform some typing tests, for example in the search field of Settings.
If everything is OK, only now you should disable (or uninstall) GBoard.
Note: I have decided against uninstalling bloat-apps via ADB. If something goes wrong during ADB process, you end up with a luxury brick:)Furthermore, it could have a "bricking impact" as well when a new firmware is released.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #26 of 159
Simple keyboard seems to be a good choice given its low memory footprint and also there’s no need for other fancy keyboard features that uses up cpu resources for the simple purpose of searching music on the Walkman.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #27 of 159
Note: I have decided against uninstalling bloat-apps via ADB. If something goes wrong during ADB process, you end up with a luxury brick:)Furthermore, it could have a "bricking impact" as well when a new firmware is released.
adpappcontrol as recommend by @Sonywalkmanuser is fine. As it's not a root process, the app is only removed for the current profile (ie. The apps will come back during after a factory reset. Likewise apps removed this way shouldn't break updates. At worse, you'll just have to check if the stuff got reinstalled.

Nov 15, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #28 of 159
I tried using adb and perform /unsintall apps. It didn’t happen for most of the apps, look like Sony prevented it. However, the app disabling features together with forced-stop and keeping the player always on do work out great. The M2 becomes a lot more responsive and sound also improved. Especially when enabling high-res streaming On. Also removing the headphones app doesn’t effect the player the way I thought it would. So now that one is also gone too

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #29 of 159
I tried using adb and perform /unsintall apps. It didn’t happen for most of the apps, look like Sony prevented it.
Which method did you try ? Manual ADB & uninstall commands or the above mentioned adpappcontrol program ?

Getting rid of bloatware certainly improves performance and battery life, but an increase in Sound Quality ? I can't believe that.
It doesn't make sense either from a Sony engineer perspective. They spend years and years optimizing the SQ of their DAPs, so why would they allow to have bloatware having an influence on SQ ?

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #30 of 159
Which method did you try ? Manual ADB & uninstall commands or the above mentioned adpappcontrol program ?

Getting rid of bloatware certainly improves performance and battery life, but an increase in Sound Quality ? I can't believe that.
It doesn't make sense either from a Sony engineer perspective. They spend years and years optimizing the SQ of their DAPs, so why would they allow to have bloatware having an influence on SQ ?

The answer is very simple, Sony cannot remove these google "bloatware" as part of their licensing agreement with Google to use their Android 11 OS. They must ship the device pre-loaded with google apps.

https://www.android.com/certified/partners/

Like how Sony handles the EU Volume Laws, Sony is always in compliance with the prevailing laws and standards.

Other DAP manufacturers are using their own custom open-android or do not necessary follow Google's agreement in full.

Every program or services installed and running on the equipment will increase the CPU usage, as in they will occupy a slice of the available computing time as threads, which the thread scheduling is controlled by the operating system's task scheduler.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_multitasking

In a nutshell, the more programs running, the more interrupts will be generated and thus placing more processor load/memory resources on the system. This may increase the background load of the cpu, generating more heat, increase power consumption, taking away valuable processor cache space and increase system response latencies.

How much of an influence will additonal software have on sound quality? Well it depends on where the bottleneck to the sound quality lies within your entire audio chain.

For example, if you are using some bluetooth headphones using SBC codec for transmission, by debloating the DAP, there's not going to much difference to the end sound quality as the bottleneck lies with the bluetooth codec rather than the OS or DAP.

In a high quality playback device that has ultra low jitter clocking and relies on high precision accurately timed electrical pulses to generate extremely high quality sound output, everything in the chain matters which includes the software.

Also the bottleneck might lie in the end listener, not everyone can notice the difference, you either have to level up your hearing kung fu or be very lucky to be born with very golden ears. like in the case of this boy:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back