Sugden Headmaster??? MBriant???
Aug 25, 2001 at 12:03 AM Post #16 of 24
Well said.

Hey DanG, I'd be very interested to hear your opinion concerning how well the Sugden renders classical and jazz. I have yet to hear a SS amp that can compete head-to-head against a tubed one in the classical music genre.

-Nikolai

P.S. The Sugden's multiple inputs and polished exterior make it massively appealing to me.

Aug 25, 2001 at 12:10 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Nikolai Dot Org
I have yet to hear a SS amp that can compete head-to-head against a tubed one in the classical music genre.

I had a couple of MG Head DT's (one quite hot-rodded), and the HeadRoom Max I've got now is a significant step up -- and about half my listening time (or around 20 hours per week) is classical music listening.

I guess it depends which tube amps and which solid state amps (and, of course, which headphones) we're talking about.

Lately, I have been extremely curious about how the Wheatfield HA-2 sounds. Not that I'm necessarily interested in buying one, but I would have much higher expectations from the HA-2 than from the MG Head DT's.

Aug 25, 2001 at 1:20 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

I suppose it comes down to what you are taking from a song or artist

Exactly.

After all, music is really just entertainment from the listener's perspective, isn't it?

Aug 25, 2001 at 3:02 AM Post #20 of 24
I think you have to e-mail them, get a quote, and then call them. I've not ordered from them yet, but I remember I did e-mail to get a quote on the Sugden Headmaster.

Aug 25, 2001 at 3:46 AM Post #21 of 24
Well I got mine a little while back from Stone Audio (ordered it online). Here's the URL: http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/. It cost me an additional $45.00 in import duties when they delivered it. Took about 2 weeks to get here. Great sounding, and gorgeous to boot!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2001 at 2:59 PM Post #22 of 24
flashbak,

You changed your mind on the Headmaster?

RGA,

I've used the Headmaster as a preamp before. Gave the biggest improvement to the sound. My opinions on it as a preamp is well known. Search for it here or in Headwize.

Here is a short summary. I used to have a NAD320 integrated (only a 40watter) driving Aegis One speakers. Although both speakers and amp plus the marantz 6000OSE cdplayer combined was cheaper than the Headmaster, the Headmaster when used as a preamp (NAD used as poweramp) gave the biggest improvement. There was a certain weight to the sound that I really like. Really highend stuff although the rest of my equipments are cheap. OK. Relatively cheap. Although, I have to stress that system matching is also important. But that's another story.

Personally I feel that with all things being equal, the preamp will give the biggest improvement. YMMV.

Hope this helps.

Masz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back