Summit-Fi Random Thoughts
May 6, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #526 of 630
Hi Summit-Fi'ers. Posting to let you know about our local Denver meet on June 22, as we're going to have a pretty epic lineup of summit-fi gear available for demo in a pretty quiet environment. Danny McKinney, @SageM , with RAAL-requisite / RAAL 1995, will be joining us. Between him and attendees, we will have an Immanis, Magna, SR1a/b, CA-1a, VM-1a, and HSA-1b available for listening. Danny also plans to bring a Feliks Envy. And he is going to try to bring the new SAEQ Armageddon, and Solaja Audio's soon-to-be-released EL34 (VM1a successor) and 300B amps (both). There is even a slim chance he will be able to bring a Trafomatic Primavera. We'll also have a bunch of other cool stuff like a Spirit Torino Valkyria, Warwick Bravura, DCA Stealth, a variety of ZMFs, and a Zahl HM1. We are offering a few spots for out-of-towners who are willing to travel for a chance to demo this gear in a quiet environment. If that's you, let us know here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/colorado-head-fi-meet-june-22-2024.972574/ I'm trying to convince @Ciggavelli to attend, too. :L3000:

May 6, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #527 of 630
Hi Summit-Fi'ers. Posting to let you know about our local Denver meet on June 22, as we're going to have a pretty epic lineup of summit-fi gear available for demo in a pretty quiet environment. Danny McKinney, @SageM , with RAAL-requisite / RAAL 1995, will be joining us. Between him and attendees, we will have an Immanis, Magna, SR1a/b, CA-1a, VM-1a, and HSA-1b available for listening. Danny also plans to bring a Feliks Envy. And he is going to try to bring the new SAEQ Armageddon, and Solaja Audio's soon-to-be-released EL34 (VM1a successor) and 300B amps (both). There is even a slim chance he will be able to bring a Trafomatic Primavera. We'll also have a bunch of other cool stuff like a Spirit Torino Valkyria, Warwick Bravura, DCA Stealth, a variety of ZMFs, and a Zahl HM1. We are offering a few spots for out-of-towners who are willing to travel for a chance to demo this gear in a quiet environment. If that's you, let us know here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/colorado-head-fi-meet-june-22-2024.972574/ I'm trying to convince @Ciggavelli to attend, too. :L3000:

Overall, this sounds amazing. Very envious! Please report back on the bolded. I've put any amp changes on hold indefinitely until there are more impressions on the emerging amps intended for Raal phones vs. the VM-1a (which I found vv good). Really cool and again really jealous! :)

May 6, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #529 of 630
Overall, this sounds amazing. Very envious! Please report back on the bolded. I've put any amp changes on hold indefinitely until there are more impressions on the emerging amps intended for Raal phones vs. the VM-1a (which I found vv good). Really cool and again really jealous! :)
Why don't you join us! :beerchug:

May 6, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #530 of 630
Why don't you join us! :beerchug:
Would really love to. Supposed to be traveling for work, but if anything falls through or if I have the chance to force to fall through (lol), I'll let the group know!!

May 8, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #531 of 630
So I've been testing cables all week. I got the unreleased Danacables Voila-level cable for the TCs, The Viking Weave Silver, and the SC. The Danacables does bring out more mids, but it takes something away from the bass and treble (I'm a V shaped kinda guy though). The SC also brings about more mids than the stock cable, but it's not a major difference; it doesn't change the sound in a way in which I dislike. The Viking Weave is really good though. It's my favorite cable out of the 3 at the moment.

However, I've come to realize that cables are really minor in their changes. Compared to dacs and amps, there's no question in my mind which I'd upgrade first. Dacs and amps really affect the sound a lot, cables minimal.

That said, if you have everything you already want, cables do make that extra little bit of difference. One should probably have a moderately good cable at all times, but until you reach the top of the top, those $5k cables can wait. A good $1500-$2K cable should work. You might not even need that, if the cable is well made. But yeah, cables should be the last thing you upgrade.

May 8, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #532 of 630
In IEMs, it's the other way around. Cables significantly affect the overall sound more than swapping DAC/DAPs IME. With the Susvara, there's less difference with cables, but is still vital for that finest tweak in the system synergy

May 8, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #533 of 630
So I've been testing cables all week. I got the unreleased Danacables Voila-level cable for the TCs, The Viking Weave Silver, and the SC. The Danacables does bring out more mids, but it takes something away from the bass and treble (I'm a V shaped kinda guy though). The SC also brings about more mids than the stock cable, but it's not a major difference; it doesn't change the sound in a way in which I dislike. The Viking Weave is really good though. It's my favorite cable out of the 3 at the moment.

However, I've come to realize that cables are really minor in their changes. Compared to dacs and amps, there's no question in my mind which I'd upgrade first. Dacs and amps really affect the sound a lot, cables minimal.

That said, if you have everything you already want, cables do make that extra little bit of difference. One should probably have a moderately good cable at all times, but until you reach the top of the top, those $5k cables can wait. A good $1500-$2K cable should work. You might not even need that, if the cable is well made. But yeah, cables should be the last thing you upgrade.
Back in the day when I loaded up on cables, 1.5 g to 3 g was the top end.

May 8, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #534 of 630
Back in the day when I loaded up on cables, 1.5 g to 3 g was the top end.
Yeah, cables are now even more expensive for the "best." I was reading this article a few years back from this guy who had the best of the best speaker setup. He was like a google exec or something. He said he didn't care about cables at all. He had some nice large horns and the all in one DCS Vilvaldi dac. He said he spends nothing in comparison for his cables. That always struck me as interesting. I do hear differences in cables, but nowhere near the difference from a different headphone, amp or dac. That guy had the best horn speakers you could buy, the best everything, and he didn't care about cables at all. I'll try to find the article, but we'll see...

May 8, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #535 of 630
Yeah, cables are now even more expensive for the "best." I was reading this article a few years back from this guy who had the best of the best speaker setup. He was like a google exec or something. He said he didn't care about cables at all. He had some nice large horns and the all in one DCS Vilvaldi dac. He said he spends nothing in comparison for his cables. That always struck me as interesting. I do hear differences in cables, but nowhere near the difference from a different headphone, amp or dac. That guy had the best horn speakers you could buy, the best everything, and he didn't care about cables at all. I'll try to find the article, but we'll see...

It could also potentially be that the power source was dirty, preventing him to hear a definitive differences in cables. A clear canvas of power and grounding though really helps with the cable differences

May 9, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #536 of 630
I wanna be real inappropriate right now, but I've shared so much. It's music related though, but it's...um...private. These are just faceless names on a screen right?

May 9, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #537 of 630
I wanna be real inappropriate right now, but I've shared so much. It's music related though, but it's...um...private. These are just faceless names on a screen right?
What you smoking, man? Last I check I at least got a nose. Not sure about other parts though.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #538 of 630
What you smoking, man? Last I check I at least got a nose. To sure about other parts though.
I'm not really sure what this means, but I don't fukc with my nose. I'm smoking some good sh!t though. I found a good supplier

May 9, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #539 of 630
But whatever, I was listening to some Deicide and watching some less than appropriate material and I felt bad :beyersmile:

But, that Satanic sh!t combined with less than wholesome material was a crazy combo...lol

May 9, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #540 of 630
Life’s mosaic beauty is not just assembling the pieces but the tapestry itself. Weed legal here, gummies, hash. Mushrooms aren’t but google your friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back