Technics EAH-AZ80 True Wireless Earbuds
Apr 19, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #256 of 266
No it changes to 660kbps mid song or after a few songs. For example I'll play my Playlist and while listening I'll check bitrate and it will read 990kbps. Then a few moments (a few songs later) and it will now read 660kbps. I just don't check via developer options but I also check via the app (both say 660kbps).

Lastly, we all hear a difference until you double abx test (i used the very detailed unique melody Mest mk2 mostly). The difference goes away immediately. It's called the placebo effect.

Try it. Download foobar 2000. Get a lossless flac file that you know very well (every detail) and convert it to 256kbps aac (using iTunes). Place both files in and do the test (use very revealing expensive headphones /iems).

I and many I know have done this test many many times over the years (since 2010) with $1000+ headphones (iems and full sized). No one ever passed.

I also had friends and family switch Bluetooth codecs (blind test) while I was listening. I and they failed those blind tests as well (I guessed everytime and couldn't tell a difference).

But strangely the difference comes back in AB comparison (and I swear that aptx sounds slightly better than even 990kbps ldac, sue me).

I'm with you. I am fine with aptX - I do like seeing aptX HD but either way, those make me happy. LDAC is just more of a battery hog. We are on TWS buds, nobody is hearing differences besides placebo in their head stuff.

On my desktop setup (in my sig) I can hear the difference between Spotifi high quality and Tidal lossless easily. Often times though it's a lot of treble frequency area 'noise' that honestly doesn't sound good that the lossless gives me, so it's not even better.

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #259 of 266
Another thing if you want to use LDAC Audio Quality is to disable Multipoint connection in AZ80 settings.
You can still use multipoint over LDAC with two devices, just not the three device multipoint. Screenshot from app is attached. I just tested using a Samsung Galaxy Fold 5 and Puxel 7 Pro. Multipoint works flawlessly. Starting music on Pixel stopped music on Fold 5 and vice versa. I confirmed LDAC was being used in Developer options and using Bluetooth Codec Changer on both phones to make sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240420_134117_Technics Audio Connect.jpg
    Screenshot_20240420_134117_Technics Audio Connect.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 0
Apr 21, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #260 of 266
You can still use multipoint over LDAC with two devices, just not the three device multipoint. Screenshot from app is attached. I just tested using a Samsung Galaxy Fold 5 and Puxel 7 Pro. Multipoint works flawlessly. Starting music on Pixel stopped music on Fold 5 and vice versa. I confirmed LDAC was being used in Developer options and using Bluetooth Codec Changer on both phones to make sure.
Best Effort or Audio Optimized Quality? Manual calls for disabling it for 990kbps LDAC, but it might work, not sure how well though.

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:26 AM Post #262 of 266
As I already have the black ones for myself, I am thinking of selling them to a friend for a pair of silver ones. I read before that the case doesn't hold up as well as the black.
Would you please clarify that? As English is not my native language, do you mean that the case gets dirtier than the black one? Do potential scratches stand out more than the black case?
In addition, do the silver earbuds get more dirty than the black ones while wearing them?
I have always had black earbuds but I really like the look of the silver variant of the AZ80

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 4:32 AM Post #263 of 266
As I already have the black ones for myself, I am thinking of selling them to a friend for a pair of silver ones. I read before that the case doesn't hold up as well as the black.
Would you please clarify that? As English is not my native language, do you mean that the case gets dirtier than the black one? Do potential scratches stand out more than the black case?
In addition, do the silver earbuds get more dirty than the black ones while wearing them?
I have always had black earbuds but I really like the look of the silver variant of the AZ80
I also have the gray ones and they are beautiful and very resistant. I've had them for almost a year now and the dirt isn't visible at all. Better than black ones where even the slightest bit of earwax can be seen immediately.

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #265 of 266
I picked these up yesterday to replace my XM4s. I wanted to try something different and wanted to maintain the ability to have multiple simultaneous connections. I'm using Comply foam tips just like I did with my XM4s. I knew the ANC wasn't going to be great but it is still disappointing. I'll live.

May 2, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #266 of 266
So I eventually sold my black pair of AZ80s to a friend and bought the silvers for myself. However, I think I'm getting some odd reporting in the battery readings.

They seem stuck at 100% for an hour or so, and then they start falling down to what appears normal drain. I do not recall having such issues on the black ones I had before.

I would like to know if that has happened to others and if a complete buds and case drain should help re-calibrating the battery reporting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back