Technics EAH-AZ80 True Wireless Earbuds
Mar 31, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #241 of 266
Bought a second pair of Technics AZ80 at a good price in Amazon (I know battery life will probably last about 2-3 years) because I love sound quality of these TWS. Just tested the AZLA SednaEarfit Crystal for TWS (for Samsung Galaxy) and sound quality is even better than with regular AZLA Crystal for IEMs. Much better sub bass and extended treble and resolution in LDAC Best Sound Quality settings. Perfect fit (L size for me, the same as Technics standard silicone ear pads) It seems that the shorter stem improves the perception of AZ80's diaphragm vibrations. Impressed so far!

Apr 4, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #242 of 266
AZ80 vs Noble FoKus Mystique vs Sony WF-1000XM5 vs Airpods Pro

Apr 8, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #244 of 266
OK, thank you. I have also tested the JVC Spiral Dots and they provide more comfort than the Crystal and similar sound signature with more bass, but a bit less natural treble response. I have read the review that you cited about the Max eartips, specifically the decreased treble response. However, I have ordered the Max eartips to test them with the AZ80, and I hope write my opinion on Monday or Tuesday.
Any updated verdict on how the tips differ in sound and fit?

Apr 13, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #245 of 266
I use "Ambient sound" alot when Im using the buds, when talking to people or want to hear the outside world clearer, as I pause the music and turn on the ambient. Sometimes I do this hrs at a time, I even forgetting I have the buds in.....

And was just thinking today, its amazing how "Ambient sound" works because you can pin point where the outside sounds are coming from, as the outside sounds don't sound like there coming through the buds at all, it must be a trick of the brain?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #246 of 266
I'd like to know too. I returned the CP1025...I had the hardest time putting on the nozzles of both AZ80 and MTW4. To me there was not a noticeable difference in sound or isolation. I just tried Comply TW~400, medium and returned. Uncomfortable and no decrease in noise. If I could get the 80s to be as quiet as the MTW4s that be perfect. I have the AZLA SednaEarfit Crystal and Max coming and will try those.

I'm using the stock tips on the 80 which was on them. I'm looking for more noise isolating tips which, of course, will not reduce sound quality.

Say, how do you find the mtw4 match up to the az80 ?? Source is a s22 ultra. So aptx but no fun flavors, and ldac ..
Current are mtw2 and a bud pro samsung.. I have some custom triple alclair customs I use with a qudelix 5k.. as well as some etemonic er4xr ... wired are for under a helmet on the motorcycle.

My mtw2 sound nice, but battery life with anc is now like under 2 hours or so... that has me looking a bit.. my second pair of mtw2 since one crapped out on me... touch but no sound on one side..

Thanks much for your time

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #247 of 266
Say, how do you find the mtw4 match up to the az80 ?? Source is a s22 ultra. So aptx but no fun flavors, and ldac ..
Current are mtw2 and a bud pro samsung.. I have some custom triple alclair customs I use with a qudelix 5k.. as well as some etemonic er4xr ... wired are for under a helmet on the motorcycle.

My mtw2 sound nice, but battery life with anc is now like under 2 hours or so... that has me looking a bit.. my second pair of mtw2 since one crapped out on me... touch but no sound on one side..

Thanks much for your time
I returned the AZ~80. I like the MTW4 more than the 80s. Fuller sound and the ANC is as good as Bose Ultras. I like the Senn app and seeing the aptX Adaptive codec being used.

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #248 of 266
I returned the AZ~80. I like the MTW4 more than the 80s. Fuller sound and the ANC is as good as Bose Ultras. I like the Senn app and seeing the aptX Adaptive codec being used.
Here's the ranking from best sounding to worst sounding.
1. Az80 (dynamic preset)
2. Mtw4 (personalized setting)
3. Az80 (default)
4. Mtw4 (default)

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #250 of 266
thoughts between the az80 using ldac, vs mtw4 using basic aptx (not lossless, or adaptive.. my s22 doesnt use those)
does that edge one out a bit more ?? or splitting hairs..
thanks
Bluetooth codecs make absolutely no difference in sound quality if your source is lossless (like tidal or apple music lossless).

I have many many times over many years double abx lossless file from 256kbps aac file and failed. I have blind tested many of my friends and family members between lossless and aptx, aac, and ldac. They all failed.

The placebo effect makes a person believe they hear a difference. But that difference goes away when you blind test.

Aptx is the best codec. It sounds exactly the same (sometimes I could swear it sounds SLIGHTLY BETTER than 660kbps or less ldac in non blind test) and uses less battery and have less lag for gaming and longer range.

How does it sounds exactly the same or better?

Well it is a superior codec than ldac. It's like comparing aac to mp3. Aac 256kbps is slightly better than 320mp3. More bitrate doesn't mean more transparency when going from codec to codec.

Ldac is a gimmick on many phones. I've tried putting it on 990kbps and it always reverts back to 660kbps after a few minutes. It never stays at 990kbps.

I hate ldac. I would rather use acc but prefer aptx over anything.

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #251 of 266
Ldac is a gimmick on many phones. I've tried putting it on 990kbps and it always reverts back to 660kbps after a few minutes. It never stays at 990kbps.
It reverts to default which is for most phones 660kbps when you reconnect device. You can use Bluetooth Codec Changer to auto switch to chosen quality instead of flipping through Developers settings every time.

If you have BT dongle that supports different codecs, difference between LDAC and other codecs is audible when using highish end IEMs.
With sonically handicapped TWS, it might not be that obvious, if perceived at all.

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #252 of 266
It reverts to default which is for most phones 660kbps when you reconnect device. You can use Bluetooth Codec Changer to auto switch to chosen quality instead of flipping through Developers settings every time.

If you have BT dongle that supports different codecs, difference between LDAC and other codecs is audible when using highish end IEMs.
With sonically handicapped TWS, it might not be that obvious, if perceived at all.
No it changes to 660kbps mid song or after a few songs. For example I'll play my Playlist and while listening I'll check bitrate and it will read 990kbps. Then a few moments (a few songs later) and it will now read 660kbps. I just don't check via developer options but I also check via the app (both say 660kbps).

Lastly, we all hear a difference until you double abx test (i used the very detailed unique melody Mest mk2 mostly). The difference goes away immediately. It's called the placebo effect.

Try it. Download foobar 2000. Get a lossless flac file that you know very well (every detail) and convert it to 256kbps aac (using iTunes). Place both files in and do the test (use very revealing expensive headphones /iems).

I and many I know have done this test many many times over the years (since 2010) with $1000+ headphones (iems and full sized). No one ever passed.

I also had friends and family switch Bluetooth codecs (blind test) while I was listening. I and they failed those blind tests as well (I guessed everytime and couldn't tell a difference).

But strangely the difference comes back in AB comparison (and I swear that aptx sounds slightly better than even 990kbps ldac, sue me).

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #253 of 266
No it changes to 660kbps mid song or after a few songs. For example I'll play my Playlist and while listening I'll check bitrate and it will read 990kbps. Then a few moments (a few songs later) and it will now read 660kbps. I just don't check via developer options but I also check via the app (both say 660kbps).

Lastly, we all hear a difference until you double abx test (i used the very detailed unique melody Mest mk2 mostly). The difference goes away immediately. It's called the placebo effect.

Try it. Download foobar 2000. Get a lossless flac file that you know very well (every detail) and convert it to 256kbps aac (using iTunes). Place both files in and do the test (use very revealing expensive headphones /iems).

I and many I know have done this test many many times over the years (since 2010) with $1000+ headphones (iems and full sized). No one ever passed.

I also had friends and family switch Bluetooth codecs (blind test) while I was listening. I and they failed those blind tests as well (I guessed everytime and couldn't tell a difference).

But strangely the difference comes back in AB comparison (and I swear that aptx sounds slightly better than even 990kbps ldac, sue me).
In my opinion it depends exclusively on the sound source. With my Pixel 8 Pro I can assure you that it always runs at 990kbps. I've checked several times and it's always like this. I have tried several high-end earbuds and for me the Az80 are definitely the best.

Apr 19, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #254 of 266

Something is wrong with your phone then, once selected it stays rock solid 990kbps until full reconnect with all my BT dongles and TWSs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back