The All-New WA7 Fireflies from Woo Audio
Jan 23, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #646 of 726
hey just wondering if anyone has gotten a chance to do direct comparisons of this amplifier against the Lyr 2 + Bifrost Uber combo. also, wondering about the sonic differences between the solid state vs tube power supply.

Thanks!!

Had no chance to hear Bifrost plus Lyr 2 but did the original Lyr against WA7 with stock power supply and preferred Shiit stack over WA7 . Also heard WA7 with tubes power supply with stock and Sylvania 5814A and would recommend it over stock power supply to improve clarity of details while 5814A tubes will affect bass

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #647 of 726
Had no chance to hear Bifrost plus Lyr 2 but did the original Lyr against WA7 with stock power supply and preferred Shiit stack over WA7 . Also heard WA7 with tubes power supply with stock and Sylvania 5814A and would recommend it over stock power supply to improve clarity of details while 5814A tubes will affect bass

Thanks!! could you provide a more detailed sonic comparison between the two?? I would really appreciate it.

also, how about the lyr vs the WA7 + tube power supply & upgrade tubes?

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #648 of 726
When I had the units mentioned I got upgrade tubes for the amp and after over 100 hours I felt they gave me more refined details with a little bit deeper bass. I only heard WA7 with tubes power supply at the meets so had no chance to compare side by side but even just a few minutes gave me enough information to notice the difference between stock and tubes power supply. Even right now I'm using HA-1 as Dac only and use tubes amp to drive HD800. My attempt to get rid of tubes wasn't successful. I'm upgrading soon and even my new setup will have tubes

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #649 of 726
When I had the units mentioned I got upgrade tubes for the amp and after over 100 hours I felt they gave me more refined details with a little bit deeper bass. I only heard WA7 with tubes power supply at the meets so had no chance to compare side by side but even just a few minutes gave me enough information to notice the difference between stock and tubes power supply. Even right now I'm using HA-1 as Dac only and use tubes amp to drive HD800. My attempt to get rid of tubes wasn't successful. I'm upgrading soon and even my new setup will have tubes

cool thanks. just wondering why you preferred the schiit stack over the wa7?

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #650 of 726
It's just sound signature preference, be aware I'm in minority who prefer 6N1P tubes in the Lyr over Orange Globes. You can get WA7 but you also should get tubes power supply to do the tube rolling to get sound you are after

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #651 of 726
It's just sound signature preference, be aware I'm in minority who prefer 6N1P tubes in the Lyr over Orange Globes. You can get WA7 but you also should get tubes power supply to do the tube rolling to get sound you are after

thanks! could you describe the sonic differences? i am especially curious about the differences in bass.

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #652 of 726
If you want deep tight punchy impactful bass which doesn't interfere with the rest of the sound then you definitely need tubes power supply for WA7 with Sylvania 5814A tubes . The difference I heard was so unexpected and clear so impossible to forget. I can't describe Lyr since I heard too long ago but can't forget surprising WA7

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #653 of 726
If you want deep tight punchy impactful bass which doesn't interfere with the rest of the sound then you definitely need tubes power supply for WA7 with Sylvania 5814A tubes . The difference I heard was so unexpected and clear so impossible to forget. I can't describe Lyr since I heard too long ago but can't forget surprising WA7

I couldn't agree more and their are a variety of the 12AU7 variants you can choose from, some of the vintage mullards 4003's are really sweet sounding.. 

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #654 of 726
  hey just wondering if anyone has gotten a chance to do direct comparisons of this amplifier against the Lyr 2 + Bifrost Uber combo. also, wondering about the sonic differences between the solid state vs tube power supply.

Thanks!!

post #1649

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #659 of 726
sounds like the upgraded tubes are recommended. do you guys use upgraded tubes in the amp as well as the power supply or do you upgrade the ones in the amp but not the power supply? Thanks

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #660 of 726
sounds like the upgraded tubes are recommended. do you guys use upgraded tubes in the amp as well as the power supply or do you upgrade the ones in the amp but not the power supply? Thanks

Most people who do upgrade the tubes, end up replacing both.  As far as the amp/dac is concerned, you don't have many choices and Woo Audio sells the upgraded tubes on their site.  They sound great to me so far.  The power supply is still relatively new, so people are still rolling various tubes but it's a very common tube type.  You can get pairs on Fleabay for fairly cheap or you can get them from places like upscaleaudio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back