The Fiio X3 Thread.
Mar 9, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #17,341 of 17,484
Does anyone remember the maximum supported size for the micro SD card in the X3. I don't like to use the internal storage as it is very limited and it doesn't play through to what is on the card if you leave it playing.

I currently have a 128gb card with 6.7gb remaining so could probably do with getting a 256, but does it support that? It hasn't been fussy with any cards at all yet so I get the feeling it will.

There is a great deal on one here:
https://www.mymemory.co.uk/mymemory-256gb-v30-pro-micro-sd-sdxc-a1-uhs-1-u3-adapter-100mb-s.html

Some may think this seems too cheap to be true, but mymemory is a far better place to trust than Amazon and ebay for memory devices. I bought my 128gb memory card for this same price which at the time was far cheaper for a card this size than anywhere else - at least for a genuine one. And this card has been very reliable.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #17,342 of 17,484
I think I remember reading somebody using a 256gb card in their 1st gen X3.
Even if that isn't the case, I can't see you running into any troubles. I do remember Fiio being pretty confident in it being capable with larger cards once they hit the market.

Mar 23, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #17,343 of 17,484
Oh well, lets keep this thread going. Here is my FiiO collection which does include the X3 so not too far off topic!
P1030870.JPG

I have so many accessories for the X3. Both official cases and an extra silicone case. And also have almost all the original accessories for every FiiO device I own. The BTR3 happens to be my dad's based on how much FiiO stuff I've bought! He's impressed with it. Useful for headphones with the way phones are getting rid of the headphone jack!

No a mouse hasn't eaten my HS5 case. I used a leather hole puncher initially to make the LED visible when the unit was charging, but i did such a messy job that given that it gets hot while charging in the area I have removed, that is why I thought it was worth doing. I went a bit too wide though and it looks a bit silly and I don't use it now. I use it without a case almost all the time now. If I want it to be protected while doing something with it being slid about at the same time as wanting to easily access the buttons, I usually use the LC-X3 case.

P1030890.JPG

P1030892.JPG

P1030891.JPG

Still in very good condition given just how often I use it and still gets very close to 10 hours playback. I've even started using the EQ more likely which results in the volume deduction, so I will have increased the volume to a higher level, but is still lasts around FiiO's claims which is so impressive given I got this in 2014.

It even fell of a monitor speaker on to solid work top without a case on the other day. First time it has every had a drop like that without a case on. It fell on a corner. Being as blunt as they are, it luckily did no visible damage at all. Possibly just an ever so small flat patch that is only noticeable if you look really close.

Given there is nothing to go wrong with the firmware really, I think the only think that would stop working on this is the batter in time. I expect i will have it for many years. It probably is the most reliable portable device I have bought.

Mar 28, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #17,344 of 17,484
I love my x3. It is an amazing sounding player. My only gripe is the primitive menu system and unintuitive way the buttons are configured. I can live with that for the incredible musical results it produces. On that front it beats out anything else I own. I have been contemplating getting a newer Fiio thinking they ought to sound as good but with hopefully better controls.

Mar 29, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #17,345 of 17,484
The original firmware interface was horrible IMO. The way you had a 2x3 menu rather than a vertical list of 6. Then the down arrow will mean down rather than right - down, diagonal left down, right and so on. It was awful. Mr. Trev and many others made custom firmwares that i think were all nicer to use than the original interface.

Here is an example of the main menu of one of the 6 themes on Mr. Trev's custom version.

P1030926.JPG

It makes the buttons make sense. And the white theme is by far the most visible I have used when using the X3 outside in daylight.

If your problem is the position of the buttons, then that obviously can't be changed. But I personally think they are positioned well. To me, it is far easier if holding in your right hand to slide your thumb diagonally to go up and down the lists or tracks (or volume) than if the two pairs of buttons buttons were horizontally or vertically in line.

I have this version of the thread as well as another named McDown 3.4_blue that were both in this thread a long time ago. But probably will have broken links now. Mr. trev may still be able to share his since i can see he is still active in the thread!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #17,346 of 17,484
The original firmware interface was horrible IMO. The way you had a 2x3 menu rather than a vertical list of 6. Then the down arrow will mean down rather than right - down, diagonal left down, right and so on. It was awful. Mr. Trev and many others made custom firmwares that i think were all nicer to use than the original interface.

Here is an example of the main menu of one of the 6 themes on Mr. Trev's custom version.

P1030926.JPG

It makes the buttons make sense. And the white theme is by far the most visible I have used when using the X3 outside in daylight.

If your problem is the position of the buttons, then that obviously can't be changed. But I personally think they are positioned well. To me, it is far easier if holding in your right hand to slide your thumb diagonally to go up and down the lists or tracks (or volume) than if the two pairs of buttons buttons were horizontally or vertically in line.

I have this version of the thread as well as another named McDown 3.4_blue that were both in this thread a long time ago. But probably will have broken links now. Mr. trev may still be able to share his since i can see he is still active in the thread!

Interesting, I had no idea. Honestly it's a minor gripe but clearly others felt the same way. I wouldn't mind trying one of those alternate interfaces. I'll do a search.

Thanks

Mar 29, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #17,347 of 17,484
Including back to the old firmwares, I kept over 10 different versions for the sake of looking back at them occasionally. I'm not sure how I can share one of the custom ones. But as I said, I think Mr. Trev will surely still have access to his latest 3.4 custom firmware somewhere. And it is a simple step of dropping the file into the internal storage of the X3 then pressing and holding the power and return buttons together until it says "updating".

There are so many things that make this interface easier to use as well as the main menu. The quick menu is a vertical list which makes sense with up and down arrows rather than a circle which seems an odd choice for the buttons used.

P1030930.JPG

Edit. Been a while since i did an update. You need to put the firmware file onto the SD card not the internal storage to do the update for some reason.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #17,348 of 17,484
Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #17,349 of 17,484
Mar 31, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #17,350 of 17,484
I think this is the last version I built - at least it was the last one I posted (Mar. 2016).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3v6lwgvexbt8a7h/x3_final.zip?dl=0

I'll need to check it out myself, IIRC I did some changes on mine and I don't think I ever posted it.

Here's the mod thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy-your-own-theme-for-your-lovely-x3.684793/

You did edit your white theme a couple of times for me. As the track number on the now playing screen was black on a dark grey background initially. You tweaked it a few times and may have just shared it with me. But the file size of the file when it is downloaded is identical so this one could well be the same as i have.

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #17,352 of 17,484
Had this dap the first day it came out in Hong Kong. Then quickly started to chase after every dap out there. Every Fiio , iBasso , AK , Sony , Cowon , and Cayin. Now 2020 I searched for it and great sound. I had a 32 gig card inside it , but I would like more. What size SD card can it take ? 200 gig , 256 gig ? Thxs.
20200413_222017.jpg

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #17,353 of 17,484
Had this dap the first day it came out in Hong Kong. Then quickly started to chase after every dap out there. Every Fiio , iBasso , AK , Sony , Cowon , and Cayin. Now 2020 I searched for it and great sound. I had a 32 gig card inside it , but I would like more. What size SD card can it take ? 200 gig , 256 gig ? Thxs.
20200413_222017.jpg

I had said 128 in the other thread but i checked, i have a 256 in it

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #17,354 of 17,484
Apr 14, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #17,355 of 17,484
Wow 256 is good , but Im on the stock FW. Thxs

Yea, before i read this post, seeing your first one, that looked like the stock firmware. That certainly can't handle 256gb, not iven sure about 128gb. I also think it has the limit almost all firmwares had until the very latest ones. Limiting the number of tracks to 5800.

I bought a 256GB card to replace my 128GB, only to find i had a load of hidden files taking up space on my old card. Decided to use the larger card in my tablet to benefit from it's space. Still have around 25gb free in my X3.

Interestingly, the info menu says i have 0 songs. I guess i must have broken the number it can display! But when I update the media library, that shows the actual number i have.

P1040116.JPG
Screenshot from 2020-04-14 09-45-26.png

I tend to only have 320kbps MP3s. As I don't really see the point of better when a great deal of recordings already out there are not done at a much higher bitrate anyway. Even 16bit flacs take up over double the storage and sound ever ever so slightly better, and you can only really tell if you use the right listening equipment in a quiet area. And from my experience with the one and only 24bit recording I got was that this particular one seemed a bit pointless. The recording itself wasn't particularly outstanding. It barely benefited by being in this format. For those always wanting the absolute best and don't care about storage space, I can understand. But I often listen to music that is 20 - 50 years old, and the CD quality flac and 320kbps Mp3 has next to no difference sound quality wise.

Anyway, you can get the latest firmware version here:

http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40779

Or Mr Trev and others did a custom firmwhere which tidied up the main menu which i think is a bit of an odd layout. But this firmware is a huge improvement over the first. The one area I don't like about the new one is the volume steps. Is now 120. So now, 2 clicks up or down will be the same as 1 for you now. Takes longer to get to different volume levels. I personally think there should be an option in the menu to skip 2 steps at a time or have the maximum volume at 60 so it is the same as the old one. But everything else about the firmware is an improvement. Even sound quality wise from the headphone output.

Regarding the SD card, I think Integral are one of the best brands out there value wise. I'm not a fan of SanDisk. They charge a great deal for their cards and you can usually get the same performance from Integral at a lower cost. Plus Integral were the first brand out there to create a 512gb micro SD. I remember a time when i got some Sandisk cards that happened to be in a bad batch. I just don't think Sandisk are as good as other brands for the price they charge.

With the X3, I think you may as well get a very basic card anyway. The read and write speed makes no difference to the player's performance and if you won't be putting things on it often, you may as well save and go for a budget high capacity card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back