The Fiio X3 Thread.
Apr 14, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #17,356 of 17,484
Yea, before i read this post, seeing your first one, that looked like the stock firmware. That certainly can't handle 256gb, not iven sure about 128gb. I also think it has the limit almost all firmwares had until the very latest ones. Limiting the number of tracks to 5800.

I bought a 256GB card to replace my 128GB, only to find i had a load of hidden files taking up space on my old card. Decided to use the larger card in my tablet to benefit from it's space. Still have around 25gb free in my X3.

Interestingly, the info menu says i have 0 songs. I guess i must have broken the number it can display! But when I update the media library, that shows the actual number i have.

P1040116.JPG
Screenshot from 2020-04-14 09-45-26.png

I tend to only have 320kbps MP3s. As I don't really see the point of better when a great deal of recordings already out there are not done at a much higher bitrate anyway. Even 16bit flacs take up over double the storage and sound ever ever so slightly better, and you can only really tell if you use the right listening equipment in a quiet area. And from my experience with the one and only 24bit recording I got was that this particular one seemed a bit pointless. The recording itself wasn't particularly outstanding. It barely benefited by being in this format. For those always wanting the absolute best and don't care about storage space, I can understand. But I often listen to music that is 20 - 50 years old, and the CD quality flac and 320kbps Mp3 has next to no difference sound quality wise.

Anyway, you can get the latest firmware version here:

http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40779

Or Mr Trev and others did a custom firmwhere which tidied up the main menu which i think is a bit of an odd layout. But this firmware is a huge improvement over the first. The one area I don't like about the new one is the volume steps. Is now 120. So now, 2 clicks up or down will be the same as 1 for you now. Takes longer to get to different volume levels. I personally think there should be an option in the menu to skip 2 steps at a time or have the maximum volume at 60 so it is the same as the old one. But everything else about the firmware is an improvement. Even sound quality wise from the headphone output.

Regarding the SD card, I think Integral are one of the best brands out there value wise. I'm not a fan of SanDisk. They charge a great deal for their cards and you can usually get the same performance from Integral at a lower cost. Plus Integral were the first brand out there to create a 512gb micro SD. I remember a time when i got some Sandisk cards that happened to be in a bad batch. I just don't think Sandisk are as good as other brands for the price they charge.

With the X3, I think you may as well get a very basic card anyway. The read and write speed makes no difference to the player's performance and if you won't be putting things on it often, you may as well save and go for a budget high capacity card.
Thxs for all your detailed information.

May 17, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #17,358 of 17,484
Is there any way to extract the Favorites list from the x3? I looked through the internal storage with hidden files enabled and couldn't find anything other than the library db.
It won't do as it would take up a lot more space creating another copy of each track. The library database is a list that the X3 creates to short cut to each track wherever is is located on the player. It may look like a folder on the player but this is something just the player will read.

Oct 21, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #17,359 of 17,484
Well, I still learn things with my X3. May as well share it with this lonely thread!

I remember someone asking questions on how to turn the X3 on while it was charging. I always found this annoying how it seemed you couldn't turn it on while charging. I remember suggesting to someone to power it on first, then plug the micro USB cable in to charge it.

I've just realized now that firstly putting it on charge, then doing one short press (not a press and hold) of the power button turns it on. But with no boot up time at all! This seems strange! How I didn't learn this in 6 years of having it I don't know.

Basically, if you have left it on charge and you suddenly want to play music, do two quick presses and it will be on in a second. Far quicker than it's standard boot up time.

Ugh, I wish I knew this sooner...

Anyone else already know this?

Oct 21, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #17,360 of 17,484
Well, I still learn things with my X3. May as well share it with this lonely thread!

I remember someone asking questions on how to turn the X3 on while it was charging. I always found this annoying how it seemed you couldn't turn it on while charging. I remember suggesting to someone to power it on first, then plug the micro USB cable in to charge it.

I've just realized now that firstly putting it on charge, then doing one short press (not a press and hold) of the power button turns it on. But with no boot up time at all! This seems strange! How I didn't learn this in 6 years of having it I don't know.

Basically, if you have left it on charge and you suddenly want to play music, do two quick presses and it will be on in a second. Far quicker than it's standard boot up time.

Ugh, I wish I knew this sooner...

Anyone else already know this?
I didn't know that, thanks for sharing. This product is spectacular. I have others, but I still use it very often.

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #17,362 of 17,484
Hi there,

You have to set windows audio to use higher quality output, and this is how:

On the taskbar, find the speaker icon.
Rightclick it, select playback devices.
Doubleclick "fiio X3"
Go to the Advanced tab, and select the highest output in the "default format" drop down box.

Click apply/ok and reconnect your Fiio X3.

This should make it work at 24bit 192Khz(and lower)
The X3 will show this bitrate, no matter what the source audio is, but that's not much to worry about.

-CH23
Bumping this post - nearly 8 years later it's still super helpful. Many thanks CH23! I'm now enjoying full high res output thru windows 10 which has been driving me nuts!

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #17,363 of 17,484
Bumping this post - nearly 8 years later it's still super helpful. Many thanks CH23! I'm now enjoying full high res output thru windows 10 which has been driving me nuts!

I'm glad it stood the test of time, enjoy!

Jan 29, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #17,364 of 17,484
I am still using my X3 i. The biggest negative was the user interface which was vastly improved by one of our forum members. It is still my go to player.

I just got my hands on an x3 iii. It is a very different player with a different sound signature and a different interface. I'm still learning my way around it. I can't say for certain it will knock the X3 i off its thrown but I'm hoping it will.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #17,365 of 17,484
I am still using my X3 i. The biggest negative was the user interface which was vastly improved by one of our forum members. It is still my go to player.

I just got my hands on an x3 iii. It is a very different player with a different sound signature and a different interface. I'm still learning my way around it. I can't say for certain it will knock the X3 i off its thrown but I'm hoping it will.
I am certain the interface will be nicer on the newer X3, but that are many things that you just can't beat a limited amount of physical buttons as funny as that sounds. You learn what they do without having to look at the screen, and in my case can even feel them outside my pocket. Was nice having it in my shirt pocket and just pressing the outside finding the grove for the volume up/down and track back/forward. It surprises me - many said that it was just an annoying quirk that these buttons are diagonally placed, but i find that is perfect as it feels more comfortable for your thumb to adjust them somehow. Not that the x3III is touchscreen, but still, i don't think the ring will feel the same as having somethign more physical.

I'm behind with technology in this area - i still don't have a smartphone and i use a tablet that i mostly use with a mouse and keybaord. I just hate touchscreen. it just feels imprecise and there is no natural physical feedback at all. My other reason for disliking it is i just seem to have this block in my mind that your fingers cover what you are meant to be seeing. One reason why small devices with touch screen drive me insane. Buttons to me make so much more sense. You can look at your pretty screen without blocking it every time you activate anything and keep it nice and clean without all the finger grease!

Jan 30, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #17,366 of 17,484

Hi Ash, I'm intrigued when you mention the X3i's interface was improved by one of the forum members - could you please expand or link to that post? Thanks

Jan 30, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #17,367 of 17,484
Hi Ash, I'm intrigued when you mention the X3i's interface was improved by one of the forum members - could you please expand or link to that post? Thanks
It was improved by many posters. Mr Trev is one that is clearly still active as he has liked one of the recent posts. I use his theme on theme 3 in the menu. It is white and has a grid of 6 in the main menu rather than 2x3 which is far better. It is also far easier to see in bright daylight because it is a white theme. And there are 5 others to chose from.

Mr trev removed the link some time ago. I have 2 custom firmwares saved in a folder that i can share a link to if I need to, if mr trev can't - but i think he will be able to. I also have one called McDown 3.4_blue (a very blue theme) but haven't seen them in a while.

I also have over 5 older custom firmwares just for the sake of going back and looking there occasionally!

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #17,368 of 17,484
I don't remember actually removing any links, other than cleaning up older versions/variants. Maybe it timed out or something.

This should be my last version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3v6lwgvexbt8a7h/x3_final.zip?dl=0
I still can't remember if the one on my X3 is different or not. I vaguely remember make some tweaks, but don't remember if I bothered uploading it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back