The Fiio X3 Thread.
Nov 11, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #16,801 of 17,484
Oh!! I haven't tried that. I wonder whether deleting the cue file and just play the track straight would fix it?

Giant HG, I think it's a FLAC issue. Maybe other formats too. As you say, I think MP3 plays cleanly.

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #16,803 of 17,484
Ok guys, I've got a test card I use with different DAPs. I've got Lifeforms from FSOL on it, which is a seamless album. I recently used the card in several DAPs using the same Ingenic chip - Cayin N5, FiiO X5 Classic, Shanling M2 - so one old and two brand-spankin' new. Using no Cue files, just individual tracks, I found the following:
  • FLAC: Flawless!
  • v0 LAME MP3 transcoded from FLAC: Slight audible tick/pop between some but not all songs
  • 256kbps Constrained VBR AAC transcoded from FLAC: slightly more prominent audible tick/pop between some but not all songs
  • "iTunes Plus" AAC - basically the same as above but ripped directly instead of transcoded: no difference from transcoded AAC
Now, I haven't tried these files with my X3 Classic yet, but it seems like the same should hold true, no?

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #16,804 of 17,484
Because the x3 plays so many formats, I'm quite unaware most of the time what I'm listening to. So, I'm not certain what kinds of files are problematic with gapless. I just notice it sometimes

Gave up worrying about it I guess.

Nov 11, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #16,805 of 17,484
  Hmmm, maybe I wasn't clear enough.
I have the albums as one big file and a cue so I know which track is playing and the X3 inserts gaps, it separates the tracks which are in one file with gaps !

I tried the large file/cue a while ago (back in the 2.x fw days) and it did work fine. Haven't tried since, but I assumed it'd work the same now. That's too bad.

Ok guys, I've got a test card I use with different DAPs. I've got Lifeforms from FSOL on it, which is a seamless album. I recently used the card in several DAPs using the same Ingenic chip - Cayin N5, FiiO X5 Classic, Shanling M2 - so one old and two brand-spankin' new. Using no Cue files, just individual tracks, I found the following:
  1. FLAC: Flawless!
  2. v0 LAME MP3 transcoded from FLAC: Slight audible tick/pop between some but not all songs
  3. 256kbps Constrained VBR AAC transcoded from FLAC: slightly more prominent audible tick/pop between some but not all songs
  4. "iTunes Plus" AAC - basically the same as above but ripped directly instead of transcoded: no difference from transcoded AAC
Now, I haven't tried these files with my X3 Classic yet, but it seems like the same should hold true, no?

I have had flacs that will click between tracks. But it doesn't always happen. I've also had aac play seamless. Sometimes I swear it's just the x3 being temperamental because there really is no consistency. 

As it sits right now the worst case is just a small click, so I'll put up with it (and the rest of the existing bugs, unfortunately)

Nov 11, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #16,806 of 17,484
The consistency thing may well be why I'm not exactly sure which type of files it doesn't work well with. It seems to have a life of its own!!

Sometimes I get small clicks and at others a distinct (very short) gap. Might be to do with the bit rate or size of file as to how big the gap is. Again though, not certain.

I also turn a deaf 'n to it.

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #16,807 of 17,484
Seriously, the company that made this player must have seen the original X3 first! :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015A0AWK2?redirect=true&ref_=s9_im_co_g263_i4

The design is almost too similar. They must be trying to make it look similar. Not that it is a big problem. I was just surprised when I came across it.

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #16,808 of 17,484
  Seriously, the company that made this player must have seen the original X3 first! :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015A0AWK2?redirect=true&ref_=s9_im_co_g263_i4

The design is almost too similar. The must be trying to make it look similar. Not that is is a bug problem. I was just surprised when I came across it.

nice catch.

Nov 14, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #16,810 of 17,484
I just got an X3 from another member. It's my first "proper" DAP and I've only been using it for a few days, haven't yet filled up the 64gb card it came with. All file types seem to play fine. My question is: it currently has the 2.1 firmware, should I update it? I was reading through this thread the other day and it seemed like some weren't happy with the final firmware.

Nov 14, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #16,811 of 17,484
There have been many upgrades since 2.1 and even with the problems still existing I'd recommend updating. The nice thing about the Fiio players is that you can always downgrade too, if you don't like the new ones - I believe Fiio has previous versions on their website.

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #16,813 of 17,484
I did some more test around my problem with gaps between tracks in albums ripped in one FLAC file + CUE sheet.
I'm pretty desperate as I thought ripping my CDs in one file with a CUE sheet circumvents eventual gapless playback problems.

Gapless setting (on/off) doesn't matter.

INDEX 00 INDEX 01 doesn't matter.

Format of the file doesn't matter - I have tested flac, wav, ape, mp3 (of the same album).

Deleting the CUE sheet "fixes" the problem (obviously).

The strangest on the whole thing is, it doesn't insert gaps between tracks on all albums.
I've found one (so far) live album, which plays without gaps.
Now I have to find out, what's different on this album.

On another note - I have to say I'm very disappointed with the final firmware.
When you look at the change log between the latest beta and the final version - not much done in 6 months, considering it's the FINAL version - that's really sad ...

I'm really starting to hate this tactics:
1) put out an unfinished product, with a lot of bugs and half the advertised features not working
2) promise it will be all fixed in a future firmware update
3) ask for patience, you are working on it ...
4) ask for patience, you are working on it ...
N) ask for patience, you are working on it ...
N+1) ask for patience, you are working on it ...
N+2) call the product obsolete, EOL.

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #16,814 of 17,484
I have the Fostex T20v2 (unmodded but with Shure pads). It's got an impedance of 50 Ohms. Do you think the X3 ii would drive them well? I barely get enough volume out of my Macbook Pro.

edit: Sorry, just realized this is the X3 version 1 thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back