The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 5, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #22,576 of 28,989
  Ok, found it:

Gold -->  https://www.colorware.com/b-36-colorware-collection-sennheiser-hd-800-g-release.aspx

Chrome --> https://www.colorware.com/b-86-colorware-collection-sennheiser-hd-800-c-release.aspx

Does anyone have the video of them painting the HD800? I remember people posted their process of dissembling the headphones & showing them being painted, but the videos for them are dead.

Anyone saved them?

May 6, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #22,577 of 28,989
Ifi iDSD micro > mojo if you are driving HD800

I have both and that's how I feel.
I'm dense this evening. Do you plug the ifi idsd micro into the Mojo or is it that the idsd is less than the Mojo? I have both. I've had the idsd micro for about a year or less. I just got the Mojo. So far the idsd micro is the better unit. Far more flexible. I go on vacations with just the idsd, hd800 set and a laptop. Great sounding setup. I should add that the idsd micro sounds much better after it has been playing for a hour. But I'm used to the signature of the idsd. The Mojo is new. I assume it burns in. I need to live with it longer to judge it properly. The Mojo seems very smooth. It is a cute little Sci-fi device with it's colors, simplicity, small size. A keeper.

May 6, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #22,578 of 28,989
I'm dense this evening. Do you plug the ifi idsd micro into the Mojo or is it that the idsd is less than the Mojo? I have both. I've had the idsd micro for about a year or less. I just got the Mojo. So far the idsd micro is the better unit. Far more flexible. I go on vacations with just the idsd, hd800 set and a laptop. Great sounding setup. I should add that the idsd micro sounds much better after it has been playing for a hour. But I'm used to the signature of the idsd. The Mojo is new. I assume it burns in. I need to live with it longer to judge it properly. The Mojo seems very smooth. It is a cute little Sci-fi device with it's colors, simplicity, small size. A keeper.

Ifi iDSD micro > mojo means I prefer the iDSD micro over mojo.

as matter of fact I just sold the Mojo today.  

May 6, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #22,579 of 28,989
Ifi iDSD micro > mojo means I prefer the iDSD micro over mojo.

as matter of fact I just sold the Mojo today.  
Good, so my Algebra kicked in. I have to give the Mojo more time. Besides, everyone can use a Little Mojo. :D

May 6, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #22,582 of 28,989

I had a quick try of a Mojo,and i don't feel a longer spell would persuade me to change from iDAC 2,plus iCAN SE, or HiFi M8.Mojo is excellent bit of equipment,but not for me.

Seems like a lot of people say that.  It's been getting so much praise, but there have been many being sold secondhand.  What didn't you like about it paired with the HD800?

May 6, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #22,583 of 28,989
Mojo is better just as a DAC with the HD800, IMO. Yet, for some reason, it does really well with hard-to-drive Beyers. I'm not even going to try and understand that one. Sometimes things just work or they don't.

May 6, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #22,584 of 28,989
  Seems like a lot of people say that.  It's been getting so much praise, but there have been many being sold secondhand.  What didn't you like about it paired with the HD800?

I liked it. It was very good, but for me, the iDAC2/iCAN SE combo, produced a deeper/wider soundstage,and a sense of separation between performers,as if they were standing several feet apart.Also running the iDAC2, into HiFi man EF6,into HE.1000. The HD 800,sounds very good through the HiFi M8.I feel that this is my end game.( For now!.)

May 6, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #22,585 of 28,989
Anyone use a valhalla 2 or a Gustard H10? Kinda hard for me to get the micro so going to get one of those 2 paired up with my aune x1s for dac.

Cheers
I had the vahalla2. It was a bit to grainy up top and the bass was to lean for my tastes. The cork & super resonator mod really improve the overall sound of the hd800's. Both mods are inexpensive, easy to install & removed if it doesn't suit your tastes. I'm currently running an audio Gd amp with the hd800's until the black widow arrives. Very good amp, Just a bit to smooth for my tastes.

May 6, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #22,586 of 28,989
  Anyone use a valhalla 2 or a Gustard H10? Kinda hard for me to get the micro so going to get one of those 2 paired up with my aune x1s for dac.

Cheers

I use the V2. Very neutral, won't give you a ton of tubiness. It'll sound like a neutral SS amp with more smooth treble. You get a bit more tubiness with high gain, low gain has very very little.

It's one of the most commonly recommended amps at its price range for the HD800's. It also has more than enough power to drive it, since its peak power is right in the HD800's impedance range. It'll give the HD800's about as much power as a Mjolnir, so you'll have plenty of headroom.

May 7, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #22,587 of 28,989
Honestly, after getting the Crack w/ speedball, and tube rolled until I found the TS5998 with the CBS/Hytron 5814A tubes, I really really doubt you can find anything better under $1k to pair with the HD800. It sounds absolutely superb, addicting, euphoric, and pairs very well with my EDM even though at first with the stock tubes it was terrible. I can't believe honestly how much difference tube rolling can affect the sound signature. I'm not sure if the Valhalla 2 or Lyr 2 can come close to this even after tube rolling.

May 7, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #22,588 of 28,989
  Honestly, after getting the Crack w/ speedball, and tube rolled until I found the TS5998 with the CBS/Hytron 5814A tubes, I really really doubt you can find anything better under $1k to pair with the HD800. It sounds absolutely superb, addicting, euphoric, and pairs very well with my EDM even though at first with the stock tubes it was terrible. I can't believe honestly how much difference tube rolling can affect the sound signature. I'm not sure if the Valhalla 2 or Lyr 2 can come close to this even after tube rolling.

Lyr2 will not get close from my experience, even with really good NOS tubes.  I'm like you, BH Crack with TS5998 and Telefunken 12AU7 does it for me.

May 7, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #22,589 of 28,989
  Lyr2 will not get close from my experience, even with really good NOS tubes.  I'm like you, BH Crack with TS5998 and Telefunken 12AU7 does it for me.

I have the Telefunken too, I love it, but the one I bought unfortunately gives me loud hissing on my right channel. I got a partial refund but may buy another when I see it on ebay again.

May 7, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #22,590 of 28,989

Makes me really want to try a quality tube amplifier with the HD800's. Using the AT-HA5000 amplifier designed to tame the brightness and increase smoothness as well as the soundstage of the AT-W5000, so the synergy with the HD800 so far is incredible. The only draw back is sometimes it feels like it could use a little more power. I wonder it would compare to a tube set-up... Will have to attend a meet one day. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back