The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 7, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #22,591 of 28,989
Using the HD800 to serve a different purpose...

Works very well indeed to support a bedroom practice setup and sounds damn good!

May 7, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #22,592 of 28,989
Anyone heard anything about this cable: http://www.partsconnexion.com/product26093.html

A year back, everyone was on the Draug V2 train. Is that still the case?

May 7, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #22,593 of 28,989
  Anyone heard anything about this cable: http://www.partsconnexion.com/product26093.html

Speaking for myself Yes. My hd800 set has lots of bass and no harsh treble. The cable looks like it was made by the Dwarves of Middle Earth for Elrond and sounds as good.

May 8, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #22,594 of 28,989

Make sure to buy that cable from some place else b/c the price they quoted is...how to say it nice...inflated. I have that brand's same cable with 1/4 jack and it's phenomenal. I've ordered mine from Japan and with international shipping it was cheaper. Just to hold this cable in your hand makes you feel good. If I wasn't switching on balanced, I'd keep mine!

May 8, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #22,595 of 28,989
I've had that cable for my HD650.. Really really nice.. Very similar to the stock HD650 cable in terms of ergonomics (which is a good thing, IMO).

The price for the hd800 cable from PCx is significantly higher vs ordering from Japan. If you're stateside, I'd recommend ordering from Amazon.co.jp and using a forwarding service like Tenso to have it delivered. I've done this many times in the past (with headphones and IEMs) and my transactions/deliveries have been safe and flawless.

May 8, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #22,596 of 28,989
Right now I just want to get a sense of the material wire and their sound. For termination, I've always had 4 pin in the past. Although, now I'm actually considering if dual 3 pin XLR cable would be a better investment. Most balanced amps have dual 3 pin XLRs along with 4 pin XLR. Having dual pin XLR could be annoying in terms of use, but on the plus side, you could later run them out of mono amps. Any thoughts?

May 8, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #22,597 of 28,989

Make sure to buy that cable from some place else b/c the price they quoted is...how to say it nice...inflated. I have that brand's same cable with 1/4 jack and it's phenomenal. I've ordered mine from Japan and with international shipping it was cheaper. Just to hold this cable in your hand makes you feel good. If I wasn't switching on balanced, I'd keep mine!

Are you getting the same brand for balanced or another?

May 8, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #22,598 of 28,989

Speaking for myself Yes. My hd800 set has lots of bass and no harsh treble. The cable looks like it was made by the Dwarves of Middle Earth for Elrond and sounds as good.

LOL yeah I can believe that. I had a Norne copper for my LCD-2 in the past. Like what you described.

May 8, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #22,599 of 28,989

Are you getting the same brand for balanced or another?

I'm still debating. There's a few other contenders I've been thinking of like the Nordic Vanquish which is to me the most beautifully looking cable I have found yet for my HD800 along with the Stefan Audio Endorphin. We shall see. :)

Are you out exclusively for a balanced cable?

May 8, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #22,600 of 28,989

I'm still debating. There's a few other contenders I've been thinking of like the Nordic Vanquish which is to me the most beautifully looking cable I have found yet for my HD800 along with the Stefan Audio Endorphin. We shall see. :)

Are you out exclusively for a balanced cable?

Yeah, balanced only. I'll stick with the stock for single ended. Another benefit of having balanced cable is that I can get a speaker cable to 4 pin XLR adapter made to try with speaker amplifier without having to worry about shared grounds. In the past I've had good luck with speaker amplifiers for my Audeze's and Hifiman.

Also, why the Vanquish over Draug?

May 8, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #22,601 of 28,989
I tried to display the two extremities price-wise in my previous post. The Draug indeed is being considered but right now the most likely contender is the Entreq Atlantis if I can figure out the final price shipped to the US. Anyone has experience with that cable on the HD800?

May 9, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #22,603 of 28,989
I tried to display the two extremities price-wise in my previous post. The Draug indeed is being considered but right now the most likely contender is the Entreq Atlantis if I can figure out the final price shipped to the US. Anyone has experience with that cable on the HD800?

In my hunting/researching/emailing etc about a hd800 cable over the last 6 mths I've ended up ordering a draug2 and an upcoming new release from Norne of a silver cable (silvergarde) as i have a fairly neutral sounding system for my hd800.

I was interested in alo's reference 16 but I emailed them twice about 3 or 4 weeks ago and never heard from them.

I also considered the c3 audio hd800 cable that has a review highlighting its transparency on their website and the moon audio cables.

A 14 or 30 day trial period that Norne, moon audio, c3 audio offer is why these were on my shortlist.

PS Trevor tells me there might be other cables coming out soon with Norne and the Draug 2 may be discontinued later this year.

May 9, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #22,605 of 28,989

Heh I bought the balanced iHP-35H-4XLR cable from Audiophonics.fr for a nice price of 135€  (equals to $100 without VAT). I even asked them if that's really the right price? I guess it wasn't since after my purchase it raised to 215€.. too bad for them..

The cable doesn't exactly feel like quality in hand, quite cheapish plasticy, dunno if the higher end Hx version is different..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back