The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Mar 18, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #3,316 of 3,547
Also had a little time with it at CanJam NYC at the ZMF room and was enjoying it with the Caldera Closed. At the LTA table they had their Velo amp and Aero DAC pairing and it was impressive too. Had a nice chat with the LTA guys and I'm considering Velo/Aero as a future setup if I can clear out some items for space.
I got to listen to the LTA Velo with my own Verite open at CanJam Dallas. Thought the pairing sounded great, although I'm happy enough with my Icon HP8, that I did not consider buying the LTA. I would offer it up as another great contender for any ZMF'er looking in that price range, though (Velo is $2100 or $2700 depending on power supply, while Icon HP8 Signature is $1,800).

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #3,317 of 3,547
I got to listen to the LTA Velo with my own Verite open at CanJam Dallas. Thought the pairing sounded great, although I'm so happy with my Icon HP8, that I did not consider buying the LTA. I would offer it up as another great contender for any ZMF'er looking in that price range, though (Velo is $2100 or $2700 depending on power supply, while Icon HP8 Signature is $1,800).
I note that Velo headphone output impedance is a mere 1.1 ohms - half that of MZ2, of MZ3. Too low to allow for 'blossoming', for 'release' in the sound from 300-ohm ZMFs? .... 🤔 [I certainly prefer Icon Audio HP8 (at 'H' setting) to LTA MZ3 for said ZMFs.]

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #3,318 of 3,547
I note that Velo headphone output impedance is a mere 1.1 ohms - half that of MZ2, of MZ3. Too low to allow for 'blossoming', for 'release' in the sound from 300-ohm ZMFs? .... 🤔 [I certainly prefer Icon Audio HP8 (at 'H' setting) to LTA MZ3 for said ZMFs.]
That's interesting. My audition was brief and in the "dreaded CamJan show conditions!" I was impressed nonetheless.

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #3,319 of 3,547

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #3,321 of 3,547
Velo is one I have my eye on as it would fit perfect in my record stand.
.... don't forget about the power supply (SMPS or LPS) connected by 'umbilical' cord ....

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #3,323 of 3,547
What DAC would pair well with Wells Audio Milo and the Violectric HPA-281? All my headphones, except one are ZMF.

Mar 24, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #3,324 of 3,547
What DAC would pair well with Wells Audio Milo and the Violectric HPA-281? All my headphones, except one are ZMF.
I know that @Pharmaboy has both of those amps, he is a big fan of his Metrum Onyx and MHDT Orchid. I've heard them briefly and really enjoyed the combo, but he can give a more detailed impression than I.

Mar 24, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #3,325 of 3,547
I know that @Pharmaboy has both of those amps, he is a big fan of his Metrum Onyx and MHDT Orchid. I've heard them briefly and really enjoyed the combo, but he can give a more detailed impression than I.
I have a Metrum Musette now.

Mar 24, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #3,327 of 3,547
I have a Metrum Musette now.
Our gear is comparable. I have 4 ZMFs (Ori; Aeolus; VO; Caldera). I have 2 systems in the home office:
  • One has the Wells Milo + Icon Audio HP& running off the Metrum Onyx
  • The main system has the V281 + the Cavalli Liquid Carbon v2 running off the MHDT Labs Orchid.
I also own a recent vintage Audio GD R2R11 MK2 AIO that I use strictly as a DAC, and when it's driving the Milo, also as a preamp (comments about that below). All 3 of these NOS DACs have dual outputs & work quite well with all these amps.

If I had to pick just one DAC, though, it would be the Orchid. The tube in the Orchid is not a driver/preamp tube, but a buffer. That's a very light use of the tube's power; the whole point is for the tube to "flavor" the DAC's output, which it does. I rolled those tubes a couple times, and when I found the right tube, it was so obviously superior sounding that I stayed with it. The Orchid has a lovely sound, quite musical. Bass is excellent, too, though it hits a little differently than the bass in the non-tube buffer DACs.

Comment about gain of the Milo: every Milo is different, not just the upgrade levels, but usually different volume pots, either stock, non-tapered analogue pot, or one of the non-tapered stepped pots Jeff has used. My first Milo had the stock non-tapered pot, and even with the switchable -13 dB attenuators Jeff installed, there was too much gain for me to use it with either the Orchid (3.0v output) or Onyx (2.5v output from SE jacks). That Milo was only really happy when driven by the AGD DAC in preamp mode w/volume set to 60%. That combo sounded very good and I had plenty of "play"on the volume pot.

I sold that Milo and got a 2nd Milo that has a logarithmic pot. It clicks when I turn it, but I almost can't be a true stepped pot w/resistors or reed relays. I think it's just cogged in some manner to make the click feel/sound (there are 100s of clicks in the full range of the pot--more than any true stepped pot I know of). Anyway, this logarithmic pot made a HUGE difference. I can use this Milo easily with any of the 3 DACs. It sounds great with all of them, and I can more easily hear the slight sonic differences between them (the Milo is quite revealing in its way).

l have several other headphones, but the ZMFs rule the roost here. The VO and Caldera in particular are my favorite dynamic & planar, respectively. Plus every now and then I get in the wayback machine and revisit the Ori, which still sounds amazing to me, and still is comparator for true concussive planar bass.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #3,328 of 3,547
Our gear is comparable. I have 4 ZMFs (Ori; Aeolus; VO; Caldera). I have 2 systems in the home office:
  • One had the Wells Milo + Metrum Onyx
  • The main system has the V281 + MHDT Labs Orchid.
I also own a recent vintage Audio GD R2R11 MK2 AIO that I use strictly as a DAC, and when it's driving the Milo, also as a preamp (comments about that below). All 3 of these NOS DACs work quite well with both amps.

If I had to pick just one DAC, though, it would be the Orchid. The tube in the Orchid is not a driver/preamp tube, but a buffer. That's a very light use of the tube's power; the whole point is for the tube's sound to "flavor" the DAC's output. I rolled those tubes a couple times, and when I found the right tube, it was so obviously better than any other that I stayed with it. The Orchid has a lovely sound, quite musical. Bass is excellent, too, though it hits a bit differently than the bass in the non-tube buffer DACs.

Comment about gain of the Milo: every Milo is different, not just "levels," but usually different volume pots, either stock, non-tapered analogue pot, or one of the non-tapered stepped pots Jeff has used. My first Milo had the former pot, and even with the switchable -13 dB attenuators Jeff installed in it, there was simply too much gain for me to use it with either the Orchid (3.0v output) or Onyx (2.5v output from SE jacks). That Milo was only really happy when driven by the AGD DAC in preamp mode w/volume set to 60%. That combo sounded very good.

I sold that one and got a 2nd Milo that has a logarithmic pot. It clicks when I turn it, but I suspect it's not a trad stepped pot w/resistor or reed relays. I think it's just cogged in some way to make the click (there are 100s of clicks in the full range of the pot--more than any stepped pot I ever heard of). Anyway, this logarithmic pot made a HUGE difference. I can use this Milo easily with any of the 3 DACs. It sounds great with all of them, and I can more easily hear the slight sonic differences between them (the Milo is quite revealing in its way).
I don’t have the V281. I am debating on upgrading my Milo or buying the limited V281. Any insights or recommendations on them? How does their sound differ?

Mar 24, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #3,329 of 3,547
I don’t have the V281. I am debating on upgrading my Milo or buying the limited V281. Any insights or recommendations on them? How does their sound differ?
If you’re considering the V281 reissue you should also give the Cen.Grand “Silver Fox” consideration (also distributed through Arthur at Power Holdings)

Mar 24, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #3,330 of 3,547
A little bit of extrapolation here, but as a former Violectric V200 owner- I was VERY happy with the Schiit Gungnir Multi-Bit with the V200.

I’ve sold the Vio (though Vio makes excellent amps and I would’ve bought a V281, but it was before the reissue), and still love the Gungnir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back