The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Mar 24, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #3,331 of 3,548
I don’t have the V281. I am debating on upgrading my Milo or buying the limited V281. Any insights or recommendations on them? How does their sound differ?
I'm probably repeating excerpts of any number of past posts in answering this. Apologies if I'm a broken record...

The V281 and the Wells Milo are my favorite SS amps. I couldn't do without either. The V281 has a killer sound and is easily the best preamp I've ever had on the desktop. I own an OG V281 and also ordered the reissue, which tells you how I feel about the V281. I'm also on my 2nd Milo, which says something, too. The Milo is an exceptional SS amp for all the headphones I have.

These amps sound somewhat similar, with slight warmth and real musicality, but there are subtle differences that totally matter to me:
  • The Milo has slightly more resolution, revealing "layering" and reverb tails quite easily. The Milo has above average soundstaging/spatial ability, but falls a little behind the V281 there (like every other SS amp I've heard here). The bass on the Milo amp is bonkers, top-shelf sound. The Milo has a wonderful way of goosing the Caldera to sound extra-good
  • The V281 has above average resolution--nothing vague or glossed over here. It, too, has great bass. But it's the resolution of instrumental tonality/timbre that is exceptional. These are things tube amps do well, and the V281 is right there with them
  • The other killer attribute of the V281 is its depiction of space & soundstage: expansive, spacious, unforced, space around each note, you can hear the ambience of the recording space, all of it very convincing, especially when heard via 4-pin balanced output. I haven't heard any SS amp that can better the V281 in this sense.
If I could only have one hp amp (there's a panic attack thought!), it would have to be the V281. It sounds wonderful on every headphone here. I also use it as primary amp/preamp in my main system, which has speakers + sub, and all the good qualities of this component are present when used as preamp.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #3,332 of 3,548
I'm probably repeating excerpts of any number of past posts in answering this. Apologies if I'm a broken record...

The V281 and the Wells Milo are my favorite SS amps. I couldn't do without either. The V281 has a killer sound and is easily the best preamp I've ever had on the desktop. I own an OG V281 and also ordered the reissue, which tells you how I feel about the V281. I'm also on my 2nd Milo, which says something, too. The Milo is an exceptional SS amp for all the headphones I have.

These amps sound somewhat similar, with slight warmth and real musicality, but there are subtle differences that totally matter to me:
  • The Milo has slightly more resolution, revealing "layering" and reverb tails quite easily. The Milo has above average soundstaging/spatial ability, but falls a little behind the V281 there (like every other SS amp I've heard here). The bass on the Milo amp is bonkers, top-shelf sound. The Milo has a wonderful way of goosing the Caldera to sound extra-good
  • The V281 has above average resolution--nothing vague or glossed over here. It, too, has great bass. But it's the resolution of instrumental tonality/timbre that is exceptional. These are things tube amps do well, and the V281 is right there with them
  • The other killer attribute of the V281 is its depiction of space & soundstage: expansive, spacious, unforced, space around each note, you can hear the ambience of the recording space, all of it very convincing, especially when heard via 4-pin balanced output. I haven't heard any SS amp that can better the V281 in this sense.
If I could only have one hp amp (there's a panic attack thought!), it would have to be the V281. It sounds wonderful on every headphone here. I also use it as primary amp/preamp in my main system, which has speakers + sub, and all the good qualities of this component are present when used as preamp.
For $3200 I can upgrade my Milo to reference and for a little less, get the V281. I would only keep one as the Milo would be sold if I get the V281.

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #3,334 of 3,548
What DAC would pair well with Wells Audio Milo and the Violectric HPA-281? All my headphones, except one are ZMF.
Personally like an analytical dac with warmer amps. Bifrost 2/64 has served me well with the V226

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #3,335 of 3,548

Any chance you have heard the Mjolnir 3? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it in relation to the V281 and Milo.

Mar 24, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #3,337 of 3,548
Hey friend, never apologize for sharing advice based on years of listening experience. We appreciate you!
👍👍😊

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #3,338 of 3,548
Here’s my current setup with my new VC and Schiit Folkvangr.

IMG_9389.jpeg

The Folkvangr is a great pairing with my Auteur (not shown) but I feel like it’s possibly a little too warm with the VC, since the VC leans warmer than the Auteur. I’m still getting used to the VC sound though, and I’m using the Auteur Lambskin pads. I may pick up some suede Be2 pads and see if those brighten it up a bit.

IMG_9240.jpeg

I heard the VC with the new Sparkos Gemini tube hybrid amp at the Florida Audio Expo and found that her to be an amazing combo - super lively and engaging, so I’ve been tempted to try one of those out at home. I’m on the fence between the Gemini and the Schiit Lyr+ though. I’ve always had good luck with Schiit products, and it’s less money, but I really did love that Sparkos Gemini (for my money it sounded much better and more engaging than their flagship Aries amp).

Anyone have experience with both the Gemini and Lyr+?
VC is not a warm headphone , but the stock cable makes it sound warm. Once you try a better cable you will be surprised of the additional detail you’ll get. Same for usb and rca cables if you’re using cheap ones.

Mar 25, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #3,339 of 3,548
Question for y'all tonight, I've been wondering this for a bit. Multiple times I have come across someone stating that having a high dampening factor with ZMFs and AMPs should be avoided like the plague. Amps with less than 1 Ohm output impedance not making friends with ZMF or other 300Ohm cans. Can anyone convey some truth to this?

Mar 25, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #3,340 of 3,548
Question for y'all tonight, I've been wondering this for a bit. Multiple times I have come across someone stating that having a high dampening factor with ZMFs and AMPs should be avoided like the plague. Amps with less than 1 Ohm output impedance not making friends with ZMF or other 300Ohm cans. Can anyone convey some truth to this?
I find ZMF Auteur sound fantastic through low impedance solid state gear, to some extent, I prefer them there to all the tubes.

Mar 25, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #3,342 of 3,548
I really enjoyed the VC on my Schiit Midgard and on the Sparkos Gemini I heard at an audio show, both low output impedance.

Mar 25, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #3,343 of 3,548
My Wells Milo has 0.1 ohms output impedance. My Violectric V281 has an output impedance <0.2 ohms. Both specs refer to the 4-pin XLR output, the only way I listen to either.

I get terrific sound out of both amps on the Verite Open and Aeolus. When I had the Eikon and Atrium Open, they sounded great on the V281.

Of course I also get great sound out of my OTL tube amp (Woo WA3) & transformer-coupled tube amp (Icon Audio HP8).

Maybe that statement is true in an electrical engineering theoretical sense...? (no idea). But in my system, it's apparently not true.

Mar 25, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #3,344 of 3,548
I’ve been starting to think I actually prefer my VO from a low Z source better than high Z. It might be that it took me a while to get a high Z source though, so it may just be what I’m used to. I do like my Aeolus from a high Z source though. Sometimes I change pads depending on which amp I’m using.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #3,345 of 3,548
IMG_9421.jpeg

A different set of tubes can completely transform the Folkvangr, which I suppose isn’t surprising since the whole concept of the amp is to give you a direct connection to the tubes.

I’ve de-Russified my amp, going with a couple of GE JAN 5670s as the preamp tubes and some NOS Philips Heerlen 6922s (half pinched waist and half not) that came with the amp from the previous owner.

The combo seems to both make it more slammy and aggressive and also open up the top end considerably compared to the stock tubes. The result being that the VC is now sounding a heck of a lot better out of the Folkvangr.

My extra pads I ordered from ZMF came in as well, and after listening to a bit with the Auteur Lambskins I’d been using I threw on the Autuer Suedes. First reaction is bass is a little deemphasized in terms of impact but everything is a bit smoother and the midrange comes forward. I’m liking it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back