The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 27, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #46 of 90,026
I guess Ken B must have bribed Bill Gates to put a compulsion to buy his iems into the microchip injected with your vaccine.... LOL I find that Campfire's iems have a coherence and a timbral accuracy for acoustic instruments that makes them wonderful to listen to. Also, they are made in USA, and priced well below the competition in many ways....

Just sayin'!

Apr 27, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #47 of 90,026
Solaris LE has become easily my favourite IEM now. I don't know if it's me getting used to the SS or burn in , but I love how organic and natural it sounds and it's so versatile. I got used the fit too.
Now I can't wait to hear the Dorado. If as you say it's better than the Solaris it's gotta be something special. Then I think it's inevitable, I have to get the Elysium too, lol.

I prefer Dorado 2020 to Solaris in the context of my current collection however if I were forced to pick one single IEM at this stage it would be a hard choice between the Solaris and the Elysium-- with both of them being favorable to me for their versatility.

Apr 27, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #48 of 90,026
I guess Ken B must have bribed Bill Gates to put a compulsion to buy his iems into the microchip injected with your vaccine.... LOL I find that Campfire's iems have a coherence and a timbral accuracy for acoustic instruments that makes them wonderful to listen to. Also, they are made in USA, and priced well below the competition in many ways....

Just sayin'!

LMAO I've waxed poetic about my love for Campfire Audio (design, build quality, tuning, sustainable aesthetic) many times now but ultimately it comes down to the fact that I just personally jive with so much of what they do across all levels. And what you can get for $1K from CFA puts many other companies' offerings to shame imho

Apr 27, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #49 of 90,026
Let me know how is Dorado 2020 compared to Solaris LE... Dorado looks more comfy and maybe would be a good choice for my collection.
Also Solaris OG and DMAGIC call me🤭
Sure. Hopefully I'll get it soon.

Apr 27, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #50 of 90,026
I prefer Dorado 2020 to Solaris in the context of my current collection however if I were forced to pick one single IEM at this stage it would be a hard choice between the Solaris and the Elysium-- with both of them being favorable to me for their versatility.
I am waiting for your retake on the VE8 too, so I can better choose between them. Which one complements Solaris better in your opinion, VE8 or Elysium?

Apr 27, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #51 of 90,026
I am waiting for your retake on the VE8 too, so I can better choose between them. Which one complements Solaris better in your opinion, VE8 or Elysium?

Honestly I think they could both compliment Solaris equally well but for different reasons. I'm really looking forward to getting a fresh perspective on the VE8...which I'll now get to a/b with new Andromeda (one of the factors that compelled me to take the plunge).

Apr 27, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #52 of 90,026
Honestly I think they could both compliment Solaris equally well but for different reasons. I'm really looking forward to getting a fresh perspective on the VE8...which I'll now get to a/b with new Andromeda (one of the factors that compelled me to take the plunge).
Great, thanks. I look forward to reading about your thoughts on them.

Apr 27, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #54 of 90,026
@Rockwell75 - I'm keen to try a Campfire Audio IEM at some point, and you're clearly the resident expert! What would be your suggestion for mostly Jazz? Bonus if EDM too thats my other main genre. Thanks!

I've never heard Vega or Ara but I have a lot of experience with Dorado, Andro and Solaris. My answer is basically that it depends on you and what your preferences are-- each of those 3 Campfire IEMs could be recommended for one thing or another. Each IEM in Campfire's present lineup occupies a unique niche on a spectrum from super musical (Vega), skewed towards musical (Dorado), balanced (Solaris), reference with a dash of musicality (Andro) and reference (Ara). If you prioritize the speed, clarity and coherence of a BA setup but also want your heart stirred then Andromeda can be a great option. If you want a bit of that but also some holographic staging and a subtle dynamic weight to the low end then Solaris could be the one. If you want a dominant low end, clarity, super natural timbre and solid technicalities, and don't mind the upper mids being pushed a little behind the bass at times then the Dorado 2020 might be the one. In addition to your general signature leanings the type of jazz you listen to could determine which IEM is best. Stuff like Chesky's Jazz in the New Harmonic or Snarky Puppy would probably be best served by the Solaris. On the other hand if you, like me, like old school Blue Note stuff or stuff like the following that often really benefits from an emphasized bottom end like the Dorado 2020 then that IEM would get my hearty rec. Dorado 2020 is presently my favorite Campfire though I recognize a good deal of personal preference is behind that.

Dorado's low mid/mid-bass emphasis does great justice to something like the following:

IMHO Dorado 2020 has the best lower mid/mid bass response & transition of anything out there right now and if that area is a priority for you (Do you listen to a lot of CCR? Fogerty's husky soulful drawl has never sounded better), and if you don't mind it at the expense of some upper mid/vocal presence then I would consider it a serious option. On the other hand if you're looking for a more speaker-like presentation with more of an emphasis on balance & holographic stage then consider the Solaris. Lastly if you're not really sure and just want something you know will sound great with everything and never fail to make you happy (unless you really need a dynamic low end) then Andromeda 2020 is always an option.

Apr 27, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #55 of 90,026
Would love to read that comparison on the Andromeda 2020. If I'm guessing right, they should be like the opposed faces of the same coin (being all ba sets).

Apr 27, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #57 of 90,026
I'll send it to you to demo at some point.
We could arrange for another exchange then. Sweet!

(Edit: Note to self: this man is gonna make me broke! )

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #58 of 90,026
IMG_AC50DB77ECC3-1.jpeg

Dusk
Andromeda 2020
VE8

It's going to be an eventful weekend!

Apr 28, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #59 of 90,026
I've never heard Vega or Ara but I have a lot of experience with Dorado, Andro and Solaris. My answer is basically that it depends on you and what your preferences are-- each of those 3 Campfire IEMs could be recommended for one thing or another. Each IEM in Campfire's present lineup occupies a unique niche on a spectrum from super musical (Vega), skewed towards musical (Dorado), balanced (Solaris), reference with a dash of musicality (Andro) and reference (Ara). If you prioritize the speed, clarity and coherence of a BA setup but also want your heart stirred then Andromeda can be a great option. If you want a bit of that but also some holographic staging and a subtle dynamic weight to the low end then Solaris could be the one. If you want a dominant low end, clarity, super natural timbre and solid technicalities, and don't mind the upper mids being pushed a little behind the bass at times then the Dorado 2020 might be the one. In addition to your general signature leanings the type of jazz you listen to could determine which IEM is best. Stuff like Chesky's Jazz in the New Harmonic or Snarky Puppy would probably be best served by the Solaris. On the other hand if you, like me, like old school Blue Note stuff or stuff like the following that often really benefits from an emphasized bottom end like the Dorado 2020 then that IEM would get my hearty rec. Dorado 2020 is presently my favorite Campfire though I recognize a good deal of personal preference is behind that.

Dorado's low mid/mid-bass emphasis does great justice to something like the following:

IMHO Dorado 2020 has the best lower mid/mid bass response & transition of anything out there right now and if that area is a priority for you (Do you listen to a lot of CCR? Fogerty's husky soulful drawl has never sounded better), and if you don't mind it at the expense of some upper mid/vocal presence then I would consider it a serious option. On the other hand if you're looking for a more speaker-like presentation with more of an emphasis on balance & holographic stage then consider the Solaris. Lastly if you're not really sure and just want something you know will sound great with everything and never fail to make you happy (unless you really need a dynamic low end) then Andromeda 2020 is always an option.

That’s a great write up - lots for me to to ponder on. I am a big blue note fan, but you’re absolutely right, jazz in itself is a huge genre. I have the Z1R which covers most string and upper mid/low treble so well. I tend to prefer smaller ensembles too so I reckon andromeda or dorado may fit the bill. Thanks again for the lengthy reply!

Apr 28, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #60 of 90,026
That’s a great write up - lots for me to to ponder on. I am a big blue note fan, but you’re absolutely right, jazz in itself is a huge genre. I have the Z1R which covers most string and upper mid/low treble so well. I tend to prefer smaller ensembles too so I reckon andromeda or dorado may fit the bill. Thanks again for the lengthy reply!

My pleasure...looking forward to your feedback on whatever you wind up choosing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back