The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 4, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #85,457 of 88,799
Regarding Pilgrim Noir, I am pretty sure that this is the first time ever for an upgrade to be announced before the OG has even been released. :) Not sure what this says about the OG, but time will tell. When are these IEMs going to be available?

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:09 AM Post #85,458 of 88,799
Regarding Pilgrim Noir, I am pretty sure that this is the first time ever for an upgrade to be announced before the OG has even been released. :) Not sure what this says about the OG, but time will tell. When are these IEMs going to be available?
At least they’re giving people the option ahead of time. I remember the outrage when UM announced the Mason Fabled Sound, only to release the considerably cheaper FuSang very, very soon after.

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #85,459 of 88,799
At least they’re giving people the option ahead of time. I remember the outrage when UM announced the Mason Fabled Sound, only to release the considerably cheaper FuSang very, very soon after.
That is a good point. Still quite remarkable though, to release two versions at the same time, with the announcements coming in two steps. Regarding the MFS vs Fusang, the former is of course much prettier… says the MFS owner. :) But yes, this was one of those instances where the speed of (similar) UM releases caused a stir.

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #85,460 of 88,799
I agree, I'm pretty good about not spending much on cables though. However, I love the NightJar cables and I have the Blue Hour 4 wire... but we must go all out.

Sov Symph incoming for the Storm, should have it in a couple of weeks.

You clearly lost your mind with the cable!!! 😂😂😂😂😂

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #85,461 of 88,799
That is a good point. Still quite remarkable though, to release two versions at the same time, with the announcements coming in two steps. Regarding the MFS vs Fusang, the former is of course much prettier… says the MFS owner. :) But yes, this was one of those instances where the speed of (similar) UM releases caused a stir.
Let’s Just buy both Mate… You know they’d be good. 🫣

Apr 4, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #85,462 of 88,799
They are polar opposites from a tuning perspective, but brothers in that both deliver deep and powerful bass with a lot of moving air. Trifecta takes its bass further into the FR, so Monachaa might seem more airy though Trifecta is also quite airy and separated. Monachaa treble is astounding and can hit my limits of treble energy where Trifecta generally stays a bit lower than my tolerance for high treble while still having amazing treble.

But that tuning, it makes a difference. I haven't heard anything tuned like Trifecta. Monachaa tuning you've heard - it's like a more cohesive and treble tamed Anni 23.
Thanks, does the Manachas have the famous Oriolus vocals?

Apr 4, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #85,463 of 88,799
Regarding Pilgrim Noir, I am pretty sure that this is the first time ever for an upgrade to be announced before the OG has even been released.
Presumably one is a more budget-friendly model meant to be more widely accessible, the other is more expensive but a perceptible upgrade for the more demanding customer.

Xbox Series S.
Xbox series X.

Sony nw-wm1am2.
Sony nw-wm1zm2.

Stop me if you've heard this one before...

Apr 4, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #85,464 of 88,799
Presumably one is a more budget-friendly model meant to be more widely accessible, the other is more expensive but a perceptible upgrade for the more demanding customer.

Xbox Series S.
Xbox series X.

Sony nw-wm1am2.
Sony nw-wm1zm2.

Playstation 5 vs Playstation 5 Pro… I'm waiting for the latter one :) 🎮

Apr 4, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #85,465 of 88,799
I finally got some time post canjam! I reviewed one of my favorite sets from Canjam, the Icelabs Prismatica Gold! It's a bit of a colored listen, but really great resolution at a fair price. They don't have a website that I can find, but the booth presenter was very kind.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/icelabs-prismatica-gold-vip.27154/review/33460/

DSC02675.jpeg

DSC02667.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #85,466 of 88,799
Playstation 5 vs Playstation 5 Pro… I'm waiting for the latter one :) 🎮
Appreciate the support, but not quite my point. PS5 pro is an upgrade model. Announcing an "upgrade" before the base model drops is unheard of...announcing a budget-friendly model and a more pro-oriented model isn't. If a company as big as Sony does it with their audio line, then other manufacturers following suite shouldn't be a surprise. Normally I'd speculate on cost vs profit margins here, but if the nw-wm1zm2 is any indicator, there's an install base at every price tier, certainly sufficient to justify manufacture.

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #85,467 of 88,799
Apr 4, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #85,468 of 88,799

Xbox Series S.
Xbox series X.

Sony nw-wm1am2.
Sony nw-wm1zm2.

Bad comparison.

Xbox Series X is much more powerful and allows you to play more demanding games at higher and more stable frame rates. Of course it comes at a premium price.

Sony DAP ZM2 on the other hand offers very less other than being all bling bling.

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #85,469 of 88,799
Ngl, I'm contemplating Fourte again.

But I want to heard how much the K-Mod differs before I commit from Stock 1Z.

Don't remember if you posted about the differences between Stock 1Z and Nayparm 1Z. Am curious to what you thought.

There was definitely some more impact/weight in the bottom end...but honestly I didn't get a whole lot of time to really dig into it and do a proper comparison. For myself I like the stock sound & operation of the player quite a lot and have something of an "if it aint broke don't fix it" attitude. I also have an OCD preference to prefer the simplicity and purity of devices in their stock form. If I feel the need to mod something, I'll get something else. I could see myself perhaps buying a modded 1Z down the road to have on hand alongside my stock 1Z.

All of that said I'm still over the moon about the Sony 1Z....imho it's the single most impressive audio product to be released in the last 10 years...relative to what's come within range of my own investigations that is.

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #85,470 of 88,799

Users who are viewing this thread

Back