The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 9, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #88,756 of 89,890
U12t has to be the most insane IEM in the business, in the sense that nobody seems to agree on how it actually sounds like.
I can't even agree with past me about how it sounds like. But I want to get a 4th one šŸ˜…
My bro, how dare you rank Storm as number 1, it's obviously Ambient Acoustic Mad24

ha-smirk.gif
Clearly you're mad to put the MAD first šŸ˜‚
This. I.E just because certain people can love Fei Wan so much i can see why some people will rank it so low due to its treble and overly engaging nature. Audio gear is purely taste for example there are vocal head, bass head, treble head,etc. We all have different taste on how we want our music to sound like. I used to own Grand Maestro for me it was beautiful sounding set but some might not agree due to various reason and it is okay. Maybe what we can critizise and easier to agree on are accesories, packaging, customer services, design, naming, etc.

Anyway finally i receive my Feiwan what a beautiful engaging set musical yet technical. BUT!!! THE CABLE! OMG! Why such an expensive set include such lowly cable?! It is so microphonic and doesnt sound the best with Feiwan and boring design. Not fair for the price. Sorry for ranting i have to say it.
I looked at the cable and went they sell this for how much?!

I don't mind it, its decent, but feels kinda off. I don't have any other cables at the moment to put on it.
Naming only one, which piece of head-fi gear represents the very best value for money for you?

drftr
WM1Z no others
Runner up: MP3Tag software.
I went from using Windows Explorer to do my tags for the longest and it would just routinely mess it up. Mp3Tag was a miracle

May 9, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #88,757 of 89,890
For me the best value in head Fi with the new enthusiast in mind is the grado sr60. I remember getting mine many years ago for $50 . That is the headphone that opened the door to my ever increasing interest in hi fidelity personal audio. It still sounds good to me when i revisit it from time to time.
Also, here is a visual reminder to you allā€¦
IMG_0173.jpeg

May 9, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #88,758 of 89,890
Did you sell off your Grand Maestro?
Yeah unfortunately . To purchase Feiwan šŸ˜‚.
I looked at the cable and went they sell this for how much?!

I don't mind it, its decent, but feels kinda off. I don't have any other cables at the moment to put on it.
Around 500usd šŸ’†. At the price you will get far better cable than this.

May 9, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #88,759 of 89,890
Naming only one, which piece of head-fi gear represents the very best value for money for you?

drftr
Sound makers - Nightjar Singularity
Source - HiBy R6P2

May 9, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #88,760 of 89,890

drftr
Itā€™s already been mentioned, but for me itā€™s definitely Bonneville. I heard pretty much all the TOTLs through both days at canjam and Bonneville was as good or better than all of them, Trifecta included. $900 or less used is absolutely silly for these.

May 9, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #88,761 of 89,890
The mailwoman delivered some happiness this afternoon! Still tip-rolling and cable-rolling (as UM typically warrants) but genuinely shocked how good this thing sounds out of the box!

1715212686284.jpeg
Is that the Multiverse Mentor? Enjoy
Didnā€™t you know? Apple dongle is all you needā„¢ :)
:gs1000smile:

drftr
Cayin RU6

May 9, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #88,762 of 89,890
šŸ„° Okay, I just have to ask (since you're able to cable roll with yours), would you say that I'm holding mine back with the stock cable? Would you advise that I pick up the RCX adapter?
Hey Warren, great question and in my opinion you arenā€™t holding yourself back by any means. I think the stock cable is sonically capable. For me I wanted the bass a bit tighter overall and the treble a bit smoother so I found that with the PWA cables. 50ā€™s shielding for a more dynamic and tighter presentation, First TimeS non-shielded for a more analog tone and even smoother treble. The stock for the warmest and most musical of the three cables mentioned. :)

I also use the Kinera customized at times which mixes in some gold for a really nice lush but focused listen.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #88,763 of 89,890
The mailwoman delivered some happiness this afternoon! Still tip-rolling and cable-rolling (as UM typically warrants) but genuinely shocked how good this thing sounds out of the box!

1715212686284.jpeg
Enjoy them. I believe they were mine originally šŸ˜‰ Still have a spot in my heart for the mentors.

May 9, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #88,764 of 89,890

drftr
For IEMs, I'm inclined to say the Fiio FH7. It was my very first IEM, costing 500 euros at the time. I bought one again recently, to see how it holds up against higher end IEMs, and I have to say it's quite good still, with a fairly balanced signature and a nice DD bass. It is pretty and comfortable to wear. At less than 200 euros used it is very good value indeed, even if the unit I bought was a bit banged up.

For sources, the Shanling M6 Ultra maybe? I'm currently traveling with it and it's performing very well with the IEMs I brought with me, the Annihilator included.

May 9, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #88,765 of 89,890
Two of three toys that landed todayā€¦

Impressions to follow :)
Iā€™ve had the Navigator for a couple of months. It sounds huge and heavy. Big fan here.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #88,766 of 89,890
IMG_2556.jpeg

Enjoying the heck out of these alreadyā€¦

BA bass? Utterly surprising. Thoroughly impressed right out of the box.

Oh wow, the CP622B comes with a free Fusion 1? šŸ„°

Hey Warren, great question and in my opinion you arenā€™t holding yourself back by any means. I think the stock cable is sonically capable. For me I wanted the bass a bit tighter overall and the treble a bit smoother so I found that with the PWA cables. 50ā€™s shielding for a more dynamic and tighter presentation, First TimeS non-shielded for a more analog tone and even smoother treble. The stock for the warmest and most musical of the three cables mentioned. :)

I also use the Kinera customized at times which mixes in some gold for a really nice lush but focused listen.

Ah okay, my anxiety has abated for now! :smile: Thanks bro! :punch: I'll probably still get the adapters somewhere down the line, as curiosity will get the better of me at some point, but I'll just rest easy for now.

May 9, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #88,767 of 89,890
Indeed. There's also recency bias which definitely has a big influence on my own list, along with all the other subjective factors I mentioned previously. Hence why I don't put stock in any "ranking" list anymore.

I fortunately don't suffer from this at all. I consider myself very fortunate!!?

I'm also not constantly chasing the next thing.

Music is the real hobby for me & my love for gear is just to get the best sound for all genres of music I love. Of course I love new toys, but I love contentment even more!

If I'm buying something new, it's because I think it does something better than something I have with a similar-ish sound sig.

My only slightly regretful purchase is the Topping DX9 dac/amp & I need a replacement before I get rid... I was really hoping the Chord Alto would do everything this can (I am disabled and it connects to about 8 devices wired & BT, I keep it by my bed and it's super useful - I just don't think it'd powerful enough, even in high gain mode.

drftr

So far for me it's the Softears Volume. Got it used under $150 and I find it punches well above even the MSRP. A little bit more refinement would be endgame quality for me.

drftr

May 9, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #88,768 of 89,890
Oh wow, the CP622B comes with a free Fusion 1? šŸ„°

:beyersmile: Yep, thatā€™s how Canpur rolls now. :o2smile:

(Just because thereā€™s genuine confusion: this was meant to be tongue and cheek, but no, the Fusion 1 cable doesnā€™t come stock with the Canpur)

Itā€™s a great pairing so far, though, both for comfort and sound!

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #88,769 of 89,890
Chord Mojo 2

Same. For me I'd have paid $3000 for it. It was the biggest wow moment I've ever had with a piece of gear.

I've gone through all manner of daps, dacs/amps, dongles - you name it, even a couple of TOTL $4000-ish DAPs and they are not even close IMO.

I don't own a single other portable sound source & I'm not looking. I genuinely believe this to be perfection for personal audio when it comes to IEMs... and you can't beat perfection.

May 9, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #88,770 of 89,890
:beyersmile: Yep, thatā€™s how Canpur rolls now. :o2smile:

Itā€™s a great pairing so far, though, both for comfort and sound!
Is that a new addition?
Don't remember mine had Fusion1 included before I sold it but I am happily pairing Fusion1 with my Anni23

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back