Thieaudio Ghost Thread
May 10, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #31 of 156
These things just keep getting better. I, too, have the Senn 6xx. The Ghosts are mo' betta'. Just listening to Patricia Barber's Companion. I don't listen to her because it is audiophile candy, I actually like her. The organ on "The Beat..." is well developed and not at all harsh or strident. Plucked bass is just there and the drums are amazing.
Fantastic news. For the sake of the interested community, please expound a bit and express the differences/similarities between the 6XX and the Ghost. i.e. sound stage, dynamics, clarity, imaging, bass, midrange, treble, etc.

May 17, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #33 of 156
How are these for gaming?

Can anyone compare the soundstage to say a Sennhiser?

I haven't done any gaming in many years but I'll take a stab at it. So I watched a few youtube videos of gameplay footage with both my Sennheiser 58x Jubilee (6 series really) and Ghost. The tl;dr is that I think the Ghost has superior soundstage and imaging compared to my 58x during gaming footage, which matches my experience in music.

I think both have a relatively narrow soundstage, both are inferior to my Sundaras in that respect. The Ghost has a slightly wider soundstage whereas the 58x can definitely be called intimate. The depth of the soundstage I think has a pretty decent improvement on the Ghost compared to the 58x. I think the imaging is where I noticed the most difference as it seemed like I was better able to pinpoint sound location on the Ghosts, particularly when the sound was rather busy and there was a lot going on at once there was better separation.

I don't know if it's good enough to say it's a gaming headphone necessarily but I would say it has improved soundstage and imaging over the 58x pretty handily. I'll be honest I've grown to really love this pair of headphones.

Your mileage may vary as I do have different pads on my ghosts, not sure if that has a major effect on soundstage or not.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #34 of 156
I haven't done any gaming in many years but I'll take a stab at it. So I watched a few youtube videos of gameplay footage with both my Sennheiser 58x Jubilee (6 series really) and Ghost. The tl;dr is that I think the Ghost has superior soundstage and imaging compared to my 58x during gaming footage, which matches my experience in music.

I think both have a relatively narrow soundstage, both are inferior to my Sundaras in that respect. The Ghost has a slightly wider soundstage whereas the 58x can definitely be called intimate. The depth of the soundstage I think has a pretty decent improvement on the Ghost compared to the 58x. I think the imaging is where I noticed the most difference as it seemed like I was better able to pinpoint sound location on the Ghosts, particularly when the sound was rather busy and there was a lot going on at once there was better separation.

I don't know if it's good enough to say it's a gaming headphone necessarily but I would say it has improved soundstage and imaging over the 58x pretty handily. I'll be honest I've grown to really love this pair of headphones.

Your mileage may vary as I do have different pads on my ghosts, not sure if that has a major effect on soundstage or not.

Thank you for the detailed reply, it's hard to find data on this topic, I appreciate the input.

May 17, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #35 of 156

Same experience vs 6XX. I think I got even bigger soundstage with the angled pads. Could that be due to that they are deeper? Or how does this work?

May 17, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #37 of 156
"Brainwavz hybrid angled oval earpads". Found a review on amazon.com saying they are good fit for Ghost. (Not my review ). I bought them and i like them! Bigger soundstage, a bit more bass and a little tamed treble Would be cool to compare to the Meze 109 pads, but it's not possible to buy anymore. Edit: The review I'm talking about is from March 27.

Edit2: lol, i must have dementia! I copied the review I'm talking about in post #26 :D

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #38 of 156
I’m curious about scalability. One of the big points of the hd6 lineup from sennheiser is their scaling with higher quality or tube amps.

How are these on some of the higher end or more powerful amps vs entry or mid level? Do tubes add some value?

Thanks all! Really appreciate the thread thus far.

May 17, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #39 of 156
I’m curious about scalability. One of the big points of the hd6 lineup from sennheiser is their scaling with higher quality or tube amps.

How are these on some of the higher end or more powerful amps vs entry or mid level? Do tubes add some value?

Thanks all! Really appreciate the thread thus far.
The Ghosts are 60 ohm headphones and I think the primary tube/sennheiser combo is built around 250+ ohm headphones and OTL tube amps. I'm not sure that this 60 ohm headphone is really the best combo for that, however if we're talking a different variety of tube amp then your mileage may vary.
I run the Ghost on some more traditional headphone amps. The Schiit Magni 3+, the SMSL SH-8s, and the Schiit Fulla E. I don't notice a major difference between them tbh.

May 17, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #40 of 156
The Ghosts are 60 ohm headphones and I think the primary tube/sennheiser combo is built around 250+ ohm headphones and OTL tube amps. I'm not sure that this 60 ohm headphone is really the best combo for that, however if we're talking a different variety of tube amp then your mileage may vary.
I run the Ghost on some more traditional headphone amps. The Schiit Magni 3+, the SMSL SH-8s, and the Schiit Fulla E. I don't notice a major difference between them tbh.
Absolutely for OTL tube amps. Thanks for the reply.

May 27, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #41 of 156
20230507_185630.jpg

Posted my review of this surprisingly good headphone
https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2023/05/thieaudio-ghost-headphones-review.html

May 27, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #42 of 156
May 27, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #44 of 156
Anyone tried them with "BRAINWAVZ Angled Memory Foam Earpad"?

Found this review on Amazon. (And no, it's not mine.) BTW, I don't find the stock pads uncomfortable at all.

"Absolutely fixes the Thieaudio Ghost
Reviewed in the United States on March 27, 2023
Verified Purchase
Thieaudio ghosts have wonky fixed cups that don't swivel and very shallow pads that also ruin the sound by putting a layer of foam over the driver. Cutting the foam out of the ghost pads fixed the sound but they remained just uncomfortable. I tried some more "sealed" leather pads and the bass was just ruined and muffled. These are perfect. They fit the headphone cup right, they actually get them to sit on your head right, they have just a thin layer of fabric that doesn't mess with the sound but protects the driver, and they sound like meze 109 pro's now.
If you own (or want) thieaudio ghosts but don't want to drop $80 on some meze 109 pads, these are a perfect alternative. Brainwavz makes great pads, these aren't my first and won't be my last, but you can add the Thieaudio Ghost to the list of compatible cans, because these pads don't just fit them, they FIX them."
Did you buy the regular, hybrid or sheepskin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back