Truthear Impressions/Discussion
Oct 8, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #181 of 218
More info on truthear nova:
https://imgur.com/csBVEVR

They are looking like a more refined and prettier hexa to me. A little more bass and treble is smoothed over. I will be interested to see their technical performance as the reviews come in.

Am I feeling it right now to put down an extra $150 for these? Not really. My Hexas are fine. There doesn't seem to be too much evolutionary here. But, I'm always open to new things.

Oct 8, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #182 of 218
Since you brought up the NOVA:

IMG_7826.jpg
IMG_7854.jpg
IMG_7886.jpg

graph.png

graph (1).png

graph (2).png

Oct 10, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #183 of 218
Loving the Zero and considering getting the Variations. Can someone owning both share a comparison of the two? Should I wait for the Nova?

Oct 13, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #184 of 218
Loving the Zero and considering getting the Variations. Can someone owning both share a comparison of the two? Should I wait for the Nova?
I gave away my Zero about a week ago (gifted them to a friend; they enjoy them a lot overall) but spent a good amount of time with them before that. The Variations I‘ve owned for more than two years at this point, and even having heard a good number of more expensive Sets (like the U12t, Helios, Supernova, Monarch MK2…) or owning some myself (like the Monarch Mk3), they still are one of my all time favorites which I prefer over a lot the aforementioned.

IMG_5504.png

In short: the Variations is a step up over the Zero in pretty much every aspect. Bass quality and control, Separation, Staging, Clarity, Treble extension and quality, vocal performance, etc.

I usually like to describe the set as „ clean and lean, yet musical and fun“; neutral tuning with considerable sub-bass boost that doesn’t bleed into the mids.

It‘s a very unique IEM with no real equivalent, even outside its price bracket. Technical performance competes with kilobuck sets and even some beyond that.

IMG_5503.png

As for the Nova, I plan on getting a set myself, or at least be able to demo a pair myself soon. I will however be careful (or call me sceptical even) and doubt that it will have anywhere the technical performance of the Variations.

graph 7.png

Although as always, I recommend demoing the sets yourself if you can before buying them. After all, what might sound great to me might not be for your tastes and ears. Nevertheless, there is a reason the Variations is so highly regarded after all.

Oct 13, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #185 of 218
I gave away my Zero about a week ago (gifted them to a friend; they enjoy them a lot overall) but spent a good amount of time with them before that. The Variations I‘ve owned for more than two years at this point, and even having heard a good number of more expensive Sets (like the U12t, Helios, Supernova, Monarch MK2…) or owning some myself (like the Monarch Mk3), they still are one of my all time favorites which I prefer over a lot the aforementioned.

IMG_5504.png

In short: the Variations is a step up over the Zero in pretty much every aspect. Bass quality and control, Separation, Staging, Clarity, Treble extension and quality, vocal performance, etc.

I usually like to describe the set as „ clean and lean, yet musical and fun“; neutral tuning with considerable sub-bass boost that doesn’t bleed into the mids.

It‘s a very unique IEM with no real equivalent, even outside its price bracket. Technical performance competes with kilobuck sets and even some beyond that.

IMG_5503.png

As for the Nova, I plan on getting a set myself, or at least be able to demo a pair myself soon. I will however be careful (or call me sceptical even) and doubt that it will have anywhere the technical performance of the Variations.

graph 7.png

Although as always, I recommend demoing the sets yourself if you can before buying them. After all, what might sound great to me might not be for your tastes and ears. Nevertheless, there is a reason the Variations is so highly regarded after all.
Have you owned/listened to the Diva?

Oct 13, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #186 of 218
Have you owned/listened to the Diva?
Yeah, was able to demo the Elysian Diva. Absolute bliss for vocals. One of my all time favorites for that alone, together with the Variations and Oracle (OG). I‘d like to buy a set in the future (though I have a lot of sets on my shortlist at this point).

If we talk about vocal performance in general, here are some of my personal Favorites (in no particular order):

- Elysian Diva
- Moondrop Kato
- Softears RSV
- ThieAudio Oracle
- Moondrop Blessing 3
- 7th Acoustic Supernova
- ThieAudio Monarch Mk3
- Moondrop Variations

Oct 13, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #187 of 218

Thanks. I've read that Moondrop faceplates are easy to fall off, so I might just wait for the Nova instead.

Yeah, was able to demo the Elysian Diva. Absolute bliss for vocals. One of my all time favorites for that alone, together with the Variations and Oracle (OG). I‘d like to buy a set in the future (though I have a lot of sets on my shortlist at this point).

If we talk about vocal performance in general, here are some of my personal Favorites (in no particular order):

- Elysian Diva
- Moondrop Kato
- Softears RSV
- ThieAudio Oracle
- Moondrop Blessing 3
- 7th Acoustic Supernova
- ThieAudio Monarch Mk3
- Moondrop Variations
That's a great list. What I've learned from realizing that I enjoy the Zero (and the Monarch MK3) is that I seem to enjoy a midrange that does not simulate the proximity effect only when it's paired with adequate bass and treble. It makes sense from a mixing perspective, that instruments should fill the soundstage front and back. I think it's for a similar reason I enjoy my E500: if the midrange simulates the proximity effect, then the bass and treble should take a backseat in the mix.

In the past I've owned "vocal" IEMs like the EJ07M and Etymotics but never liked them. They have a no-proximity-effect midrange with inadequate bass and/or treble. "Shouty" really is a great word to describe them: if the singer is singing not close to the microphone yet loud in the mix, then it sounds like the singer is shouting. Zero and the Monarch MK3 doesn't sound "shouty" to me because the singer is far from the microphone *and* distant in the mix.

Oct 13, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #188 of 218
Thanks. I've read that Moondrop faceplates are easy to fall off, so I might just wait for the Nova instead.
I've seen a few of those cases myself; but as for my set, I've owned it for over two years now and it still looks like new even after daily use. Faceplate did not come off either.

1697223712674.jpeg

Zero and the Monarch MK3 doesn't sound "shouty" to me because the singer is far from the microphone *and* distant in the mix.

Yeah, the Monarch does very, very well in terms of imaging. It has this type of "hyper detail", especially in the treble, while still retaining a natural sounding Timbre (taking after the Oracle in that regard) and not being shouty/sibilant, which is quite an achievement.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #189 of 218
I got to hear the Novas at CanJam SoCal and walked away extremely impressed with the amount of real but not overdone resolution that they produced. I think they are a clear step up across the board over the Hexa.

Their tuning is spot on for me and even though I'm not usually a BA-hybrid fan, they are so good for the money (and their fit is excellent too), I'll definitely be getting a pair. :ksc75smile:

Oct 19, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #190 of 218
Even more info on Nova:
https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/truthear-nova-1dd-4ba-in-ear-headphone
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/truthear-nova-in-ear-monitors/

The reviewer at techpowerup has alot of praise but also measured it and correctly points out its very strict adherence to harman 2019, whether good or bad. He especially liked the more prominent sub bass and smoothened, refined treble. Also, the nozzle tip is slightly smaller at 5.7 mm. Still not small, but may be more comfortable for longer listening. As it is, though, I don't listen all that much to iems, but I want good ones when I do.

I'm not sure what to believe anymore. These actually might be significantly better than their other iems and their best release yet. But to actually purchase it? That's the big question. Not bank breaking at 150, but not cheap either.

Oct 19, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #191 of 218
Has anybody gotten a shipment noti by Shenzhenaudio about the Nova?

Oct 25, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #192 of 218
Somewhat less whlemed take on the Nova from a Hexa appreciator.

Has anybody gotten a shipment noti by Shenzhenaudio about the Nova?

Not the Nova but I have an order with them for over a week that hasn't shipped. Support has said they've had more orders that they've been able to be ship recently. Not sure if that is just that product (Moondrop Dawn Pro) or more generally.

Oct 25, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #193 of 218
I actually got my Nova yesterday. Thought I'd share some early thoughts.
  • Outside of the tuning difference, Is the IEM actually better than the Zero (and Red), or is it just a better cable? I have been exclusively listening to the Nova on the Zero cable; same eartips same everything. And yes, it is a better IEM. The imaging is slightly better, deeper stage, and overall more transparent than the Zero and the Red.
  • Does it sound closer to the Red or the Zero? Much closer to the Red. Only slightly brighter in the midrange and treble, but still more similar than they are different. It is a Pareto improvement over the Red, IMO.
  • Is it worth the price difference? By a market standard, yes. What I'm used to seeing from IEM companies is that a Pareto improvement = a 2x price jump (not saying that it's right). Considering the significance of the improvement (this is not taking into account the further improvement by the cable), 3x the price is reasonable IMO. For if it is worth it or not, see the deal breaker below.
  • What do I like about the Nova? The treble is beautiful. Seriously, every Truthear I heard has a beautiful treble. So much presence, yet so little fatigue and glare. This used to be the hardest part of IEM making (in fact, 90% of the TOTL IEMs in the US, EU and Japan market *today* don't come close to the treble of the Truthears), but Truthear does it effortlessly in $50. With the Nova, you get every goodness about the treble of the Zero and the Red, with more precision and transparency.
  • The presentation of the soundstage, which is a combination of the proximity effect simulated by the tuning and the tonal balance, IMO is more correct than the Red. The slightly brighter treble lowers the midrange volume relatively, placing instruments and singers at a further distance, positioning them in the soundstage more naturally given (the lack of) the proximity effect in a Harman tuning (in most of my music). In this aspect, my preference is Zero = Nova > Red.
  • What do I not like about the Nova? I need to stop considering IEMs with more sub-bass <50Hz than >50HZ. This tuning doesn't work for me (I previously had Intimes that were tuned like this). There is no bass at that frequency in the music, only distortions that even the mixing engineers couldn't hear. DD drivers' distortions being terrible at that frequency makes it worse. This is less noticeable on the Red, because the Red doesn't have the overall resolution to make the bass distortion stand out. On the Nova, this is just distracting. When deep bass hits it doesn't put a smile on my face like the Zero or my less bassy IEMs, which roll off at <50Hz.
  • The deal-breaker? The nozzle. It no longer has the well-defined "teeth" in the front of the nozzle to allow wide bore eartips to claw onto, like on the Zero and the Red. I can no longer adjust (with O-rings) between fitting a smaller eartip shallower onto the nozzle and fitting a larger eartip deeper onto the nozzle, which has a significant impact on the bass performance. Every eartip would slide deep onto the nozzle as soon as I shove the IEMs in my ears. It is a deal breaker for me to not be able to use my Tennmak Whirlwind.
Overall, mixed feelings & placed a pre-order for Chopin.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #194 of 218
I hope Truthear as a brand can continue to build around the impedance adapter idea, eventually making it a standard for all hybrid IEM. Basically Jerry Harvey's bass pod idea but 100x more 3rd party friendly.

Truthear Zero + the 10 Ohm impedance adapter is just jaw dropping. I don't recall the Annihilator, the FatFreq Maestro or any EE offering leaving me with such an impression. Has to be in the top-3 best hip-hop IEM ever. With Hugo 2's crossfeed and my Backbeat G2, it is as close as it gets to bumping music in a car with modded woofer

Oct 31, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #195 of 218
I actually got my Nova yesterday. Thought I'd share some early thoughts.
  • Outside of the tuning difference, Is the IEM actually better than the Zero (and Red), or is it just a better cable? I have been exclusively listening to the Nova on the Zero cable; same eartips same everything. And yes, it is a better IEM. The imaging is slightly better, deeper stage, and overall more transparent than the Zero and the Red.
  • Does it sound closer to the Red or the Zero? Much closer to the Red. Only slightly brighter in the midrange and treble, but still more similar than they are different. It is a Pareto improvement over the Red, IMO.
  • Is it worth the price difference? By a market standard, yes. What I'm used to seeing from IEM companies is that a Pareto improvement = a 2x price jump (not saying that it's right). Considering the significance of the improvement (this is not taking into account the further improvement by the cable), 3x the price is reasonable IMO. For if it is worth it or not, see the deal breaker below.
  • What do I like about the Nova? The treble is beautiful. Seriously, every Truthear I heard has a beautiful treble. So much presence, yet so little fatigue and glare. This used to be the hardest part of IEM making (in fact, 90% of the TOTL IEMs in the US, EU and Japan market *today* don't come close to the treble of the Truthears), but Truthear does it effortlessly in $50. With the Nova, you get every goodness about the treble of the Zero and the Red, with more precision and transparency.
  • The presentation of the soundstage, which is a combination of the proximity effect simulated by the tuning and the tonal balance, IMO is more correct than the Red. The slightly brighter treble lowers the midrange volume relatively, placing instruments and singers at a further distance, positioning them in the soundstage more naturally given (the lack of) the proximity effect in a Harman tuning (in most of my music). In this aspect, my preference is Zero = Nova > Red.
  • What do I not like about the Nova? I need to stop considering IEMs with more sub-bass <50Hz than >50HZ. This tuning doesn't work for me (I previously had Intimes that were tuned like this). There is no bass at that frequency in the music, only distortions that even the mixing engineers couldn't hear. DD drivers' distortions being terrible at that frequency makes it worse. This is less noticeable on the Red, because the Red doesn't have the overall resolution to make the bass distortion stand out. On the Nova, this is just distracting. When deep bass hits it doesn't put a smile on my face like the Zero or my less bassy IEMs, which roll off at <50Hz.
  • The deal-breaker? The nozzle. It no longer has the well-defined "teeth" in the front of the nozzle to allow wide bore eartips to claw onto, like on the Zero and the Red. I can no longer adjust (with O-rings) between fitting a smaller eartip shallower onto the nozzle and fitting a larger eartip deeper onto the nozzle, which has a significant impact on the bass performance. Every eartip would slide deep onto the nozzle as soon as I shove the IEMs in my ears. It is a deal breaker for me to not be able to use my Tennmak Whirlwind.
Overall, mixed feelings & placed a pre-order for Chopin.
Are you saying there is no bass, just distortion, at that frequency band coming from the Truthear IEMs or in music in general?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back