Two new HifiMan players announced: HM700 and HM802
Mar 26, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #346 of 357
Hey guys, what do You think, if I live in Denmark what would be the best and most convenient way to order HM-700 RE-400B combo? One is from uk eBay but shipping is from Hong Kong, and second option from Amazon.com but I have no idea how that works, and from where they are shipping and if the free shipping is possible with Denmark. Thank for all the help

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #347 of 357
  Hey guys, what do You think, if I live in Denmark what would be the best and most convenient way to order HM-700 RE-400B combo? One is from uk eBay but shipping is from Hong Kong, and second option from Amazon.com but I have no idea how that works, and from where they are shipping and if the free shipping is possible with Denmark. Thank for all the help

You can directly buy from Hifiman (Head-Direct):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIFIMAN-HM-700-32G-2-0-Inch-Portable-Music-Player-RE-400B-IEM-Balanced-Output-/251453633968?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8bcdf5b0#shpCntId
or
http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=186

edit: Shipping is $10 if you buy from head-direct.com (they're both head-direct but on ebay, it's $12) , it seems it's the best way to get. Also, warranty will seem on your head-direct account, so that'll be good. 

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #350 of 357
I have a fewof questions re: the HM700.

1) I am a proud Shozy owner, how does the HM700 sound compare? I have heard that the HM700 can hiss a fair bit (but it might be unit dependent).

2) How is that rockbox port coming along? Has it died on it's arse?

3) I have noticed on screenshots that it shows a song rating (stars) feature, can you rate songs on this thing, if so how?

4) I already invested a lot of money into my PFE 232 IEM's, but at the same time am intrigued by the 'balanced' output the device is capable of. I really don't understand a lot of this, can my PFE 232's do the SAME THING as the R-400 IEM's if I use the included adapters that are bundled with the HM-700, or is something special going on with the R-400's in themselves? I'm torn between the idea of spending less money and just paying $119 for the HM-700 unit on it's own ($160AUD), or buying the bundle with the R-400 ($189USD which is $250AUD, quite a different price tag).

5) Does anyone know if you can attach 'balanced' IEM cables to the PFE 232's (Moon Audio????), am I even understanding any of this? lol nop. :/

6) Can you 'Shuffle All' on the HM-700

7) Are lyrics supported on the HM-700?

8) The bottom arrow buttons, are the capacitive touch control buttons, or actually weird tactile control? I'm thinking of using those raised rubber bump protector sticky things perhaps to place over the arrow buttons to make blind navigation easier...

Essentially I am looking to replace my Shozy with something with a screen, the most important feature of the screen is not actually navigating music, but rather 'rating a song'. More often these days I choose a mixture of new and old material in the morning on the PC (say 5-6 albums), and copy across. When a new song is heard (that I dig), I want to be able to 'rate' it somehow, perhaps bookmark or whatever...
16gb is fine for me, I'm not looking to store all my choons on this DAP...

Jan 14, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #351 of 357
I'll try to ask this even if this thread seems quite dead...
How does anyone with a HM-700 deal with hissing?
I can hear it quite well with the re400 (and any other IEM of mine) when there is a pause in the music and all the time if the volume is <10... It's indeed quite annoying. Did you just get used to it?

Jan 14, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #352 of 357
I just got the HM700 in, so I'm certainly wondering the same question.  The RE-262 has noticably less hiss than the RE-400, but while music is playing I don't really notice the hiss myself, just during the quiet times.  I will admit I'm kind of use to a background hiss due to my stereo a Pioneer SX-737 that has some hiss in the high end.  It goes down a bit if I filter the high end, but I lose treble that way so it's not going to happen.  I also have some minor tinnitus, so I'm kind of used to ignoring background noise.

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #353 of 357
  I just got the HM700 in, so I'm certainly wondering the same question.  The RE-262 has noticably less hiss than the RE-400, but while music is playing I don't really notice the hiss myself, just during the quiet times.  I will admit I'm kind of use to a background hiss due to my stereo a Pioneer SX-737 that has some hiss in the high end.  It goes down a bit if I filter the high end, but I lose treble that way so it's not going to happen.  I also have some minor tinnitus, so I'm kind of used to ignoring background noise.

I see. I really hope someone found a solution, even though I'm not sure there is one.
I also think hm-700 with re400 produce quite a harsh sound when it comes to percussions and that kind of sound. Sure it is clear and sharp and everything, but it kind of hurts my ears at >20 volume. I am glad they are not too bassy and muddy, but this is a problem too. (It was the same with my old Re0, it might just be an issue with the hifiman signature for me.)

Jul 6, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #355 of 357
I have a fewof questions re: the HM700.

1) I am a proud Shozy owner, how does the HM700 sound compare? I have heard that the HM700 can hiss a fair bit (but it might be unit dependent).

2) How is that rockbox port coming along? Has it died on it's arse?

3) I have noticed on screenshots that it shows a song rating (stars) feature, can you rate songs on this thing, if so how?

4) I already invested a lot of money into my PFE 232 IEM's, but at the same time am intrigued by the 'balanced' output the device is capable of. I really don't understand a lot of this, can my PFE 232's do the SAME THING as the R-400 IEM's if I use the included adapters that are bundled with the HM-700, or is something special going on with the R-400's in themselves? I'm torn between the idea of spending less money and just paying $119 for the HM-700 unit on it's own ($160AUD), or buying the bundle with the R-400 ($189USD which is $250AUD, quite a different price tag).

5) Does anyone know if you can attach 'balanced' IEM cables to the PFE 232's (Moon Audio????), am I even understanding any of this? lol nop. :/

6) Can you 'Shuffle All' on the HM-700

7) Are lyrics supported on the HM-700?

8) The bottom arrow buttons, are the capacitive touch control buttons, or actually weird tactile control? I'm thinking of using those raised rubber bump protector sticky things perhaps to place over the arrow buttons to make blind navigation easier...

Essentially I am looking to replace my Shozy with something with a screen, the most important feature of the screen is not actually navigating music, but rather 'rating a song'. More often these days I choose a mixture of new and old material in the morning on the PC (say 5-6 albums), and copy across. When a new song is heard (that I dig), I want to be able to 'rate' it somehow, perhaps bookmark or whatever...

16gb is fine for me, I'm not looking to store all my choons on this DAP...

Hi Bruce,

Did you wind up buying an HM-700? If so, how would you compare it with the Shozy Alien in terms of sound quality--in particular, soundstage, separation, detail, bass and hiss?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back