Unique Melody MEXT Announcement and Impression Thread
Oct 13, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #271 of 297
That said, I really don't like the new UM cable.
I was initially going to write off the MEXT, felt like there was a weird treble peak around 8-9 kHz as others had described. But I figured I would try out this cheap cable that I somehow liked on my Anole VX, both for sound and comfort - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B8YB93YG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

And wow, I'm a lot more impressed by the MEXT. More body, less artificial treble region, more sub-bass as well. I didn't think the bone conduction drivers were that special, but the low notes are noticeably more tactile now after switching cables. I'm by no means an expert with IEMs or IEM cables, but all I know is that I'm happy with this cheap cable off Amazon/eBay! I thought the stock UM cable was supposed to be fairly high quality, but maybe just didn't match up with my preferences.

Oct 21, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #274 of 297
BC driver on Mext is new but a cheaper version of the more expensive ones in UM. The new BC driver is not easy to control as the more expensive one, but the sound signature is not straightforward, some people may like it.

The BC driver on Multiverse Mentor is the newest driver, which I like a lot. Unfortunately Mentor has a price tag over $4k.

Oct 27, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #275 of 297
Last but not least, since yesterday I too am a happy owner of a pair of Mext, purchased by a user here on Head-fi, so already run in (I presume).
My only previous experience with IEMs is a pair of Fiio FA9s, which I still have and which I listen to from time to time (I generally prefer full size). Compared to these I immediately felt a better refinement in reproducing the sound message, greater fluidity and timbre realism, these headphones caress your ears.
I agree, therefore, with most of the reviews, even with those who advanced some criticism on the medium-high range. I too, with certain engravings, have felt a lesser degree of refinement; I don't want to call it "aggression", but certainly, in terms of tone, I don't think that frequency range is up to the rest.

Strangely, however, I did not find the bass as impressive as you can read in the reviews. I found them, however (and after trying various different tips), rather clean and linear. As a brutal impact it seems to me that the FA9s are, in that range, more daring.
Surely I will have to work on the tips again, at the moment the only satisfactory ones were the foam ones (plundered from the supply of the FA9).

Nov 14, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #277 of 297
Nov 17, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #278 of 297
The more I listen to these earphones the more I am amazed at their sound quality; for me it's the perfect sound, detailed, musical, dynamic, exciting, never fatiguing, ... it seems to be able to put together diametrically opposed sound characteristics.
Then the Mext are at ease with any musical genre.
Truly a dreamy sound that I never get tired of listening to. Wish there were full-size headphones like this...

PS: who equalizes them is a criminal (lol)

Nov 17, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #280 of 297
Obviously all this applies if you get the right tips right. This is generally true for all iems, but perhaps even more so for Mexts.

What would you consider the right tips then? I’m using the Azla tips (medium have a good seal for my ears) however they still benefit from a bit of EQ IMO since they are so V shaped. It brings focus to the mids and improves overall clarity

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #281 of 297
Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #282 of 297
The more I listen to these earphones the more I am amazed at their sound quality; for me it's the perfect sound, detailed, musical, dynamic, exciting, never fatiguing, ... it seems to be able to put together diametrically opposed sound characteristics.
Then the Mext are at ease with any musical genre.
Truly a dreamy sound that I never get tired of listening to. Wish there were full-size headphones like this...

PS: who equalizes them is a criminal (lol)
I agree with you. I love the MEXT. I got rid of the stock PW cable and bought a flat style 2 pin 8 Core Silver / Copper (4 Cores each). I love these iems. Have a $2K IMR Titan on the way and I think it will have a tough time competing with these. We'll see. So far for me, MEXT remains best.

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #283 of 297
I got rid of the stock PW cable and bought a flat style 2 pin 8 Core Silver / Copper (4 Cores each).
The stock cable looks good to me, but I haven't resisted the temptation of an upgrade either; so, taking advantage of an offer on their site, I took a Dunu Hulk pro (now he's on his way).
I'm not sure if it goes well with the Mext, but I was looking for a cable that kept all the sound body of these earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back