Unique Melody MEXT Announcement and Impression Thread
Aug 26, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #241 of 298
Listening to it again after acquiring Gryphon, I just realized that the treble has this weird quality.

I never noticed it on my RU6, I thought maybe because the R2R smoothed out the highs. Upgraded to an A&K SE180 (mainly listening with the SEM4 module) and no hint of this either for me with the MEXT. (Previous owner did mention he experienced it though, makes me wonder if it’s source dependent)

Aug 31, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #243 of 298
Selling my brand new MEXT which I received direct from Unique Melody a couple days ago. If anyone is interested please PM me.

Are they listed in the classifieds?

Sep 30, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #245 of 298
Hi guys, i would to know between the mext and mest mk2 which one performs better on separation, soundstage and imaging? thanks! i want to use it mostly for music like rock and electronic music and also for gaming(fps games) thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #246 of 298
Hi guys, i would to know between the mext and mest mk2 which one performs better on separation, soundstage and imaging? thanks! i want to use it mostly for music like rock and electronic music and also for gaming(fps games) thanks!
MEST MK2 hands down performs better on separation, soundstage and imaging.

That being said, MEXT might sound more fun with rock and electronic music.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 1, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #250 of 298
thanks a lot for the comparation, and about the imaging.. which one has better imaging? the difference its marginal or slight noticeable? btw have you tried the monarch mk2?
Sorry what do you mean by imaging?

I understand imaging by positioning and localisation of instruments and sounds and how realistic they sound.

I guess you could say that the MEST is more transparent and MEXT is less analytical and more fun in terms of its tuning. MEXT has better bass in my opinion and MEST has better extension and grip on the high frequencies if that’s of value.

MEXT has a deeper sound field and MEST is wider but neither is true to source in my opinion, both displaying music especially high frequencies unnecessarily wide. Often hi hats and snares coming from the outer reaches of the ear or pina which is not how I interpret stereo sound on a proper two channel speaker system. This effect is broadly speaking distracting and takes some getting used to. No headphone is perfect.

Oct 2, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #251 of 298
Are you sure on soundstage? because i read a lot of reviews were the people says that the mext has a bit more soundstage..
Mest i found technically stronger in every spacial cue. I Personally dont even know why mext is compared to it. The
There isnt even anything special about Mext bass too, as bone conductor only goes as low as 200hz so midbass and subbass is purely done by DD. That said bass is not bloated and the actual DD performs rally well.

Quantity of bass on both is similar. Mext just has tamed treble and made sound darker. Hence the bassier presentation.

I think it will go down with tuning preference....
I can see Mext working better woth rock due to it being warmer.
Mest mkii might not perform as well with rock but i find it to better all rounder outperforming Mext on everything else i tried. Definitely worked better with EDM for me. And it should suit your gaming needs better too.

Or if you want to have a middle ground and have funds for it, grab Indigo. That will sort you out for everything you asked.

Edit: wrong quote, sorry.. was meant for @sS1RuXx

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #252 of 298
MEXT was never meant to compete technically with the MEST series, but was developed as a more ‘fun’ alternative and to showcase the bone conduction driver. MEXT offers a bolder bass. Where the MEST series offers a more sub-bass oriented bass with deeper reach, MEXT has more mid-bass and offers an overall warmer & smoother sound with smoother treble.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #253 of 298
Sorry what do you mean by imaging?

I understand imaging by positioning and localisation of instruments and sounds and how realistic they sound.

I guess you could say that the MEST is more transparent and MEXT is less analytical and more fun in terms of its tuning. MEXT has better bass in my opinion and MEST has better extension and grip on the high frequencies if that’s of value.

MEXT has a deeper sound field and MEST is wider but neither is true to source in my opinion, both displaying music especially high frequencies unnecessarily wide. Often hi hats and snares coming from the outer reaches of the ear or pina which is not how I interpret stereo sound on a proper two channel speaker system. This effect is broadly speaking distracting and takes some getting used to. No headphone is perfect.
Mest i found technically stronger in every spacial cue. I Personally dont even know why mext is compared to it. The
There isnt even anything special about Mext bass too, as bone conductor only goes as low as 200hz so midbass and subbass is purely done by DD. That said bass is not bloated and the actual DD performs rally well.

Quantity of bass on both is similar. Mext just has tamed treble and made sound darker. Hence the bassier presentation.

I think it will go down with tuning preference....
I can see Mext working better woth rock due to it being warmer.
Mest mkii might not perform as well with rock but i find it to better all rounder outperforming Mext on everything else i tried. Definitely worked better with EDM for me. And it should suit your gaming needs better too.

Or if you want to have a middle ground and have funds for it, grab Indigo. That will sort you out for everything you asked.

Edit: wrong quote, sorry.. was meant for @sS1RuXx
MEXT was never meant to compete technically with the MEST series, but was developed as a more ‘fun’ alternative and to showcase the bone conduction driver. MEXT offers a bolder bass. Where the MEST series offers a more sub-bass oriented bass with deeper reach, MEXT has more mid-bass and offers an overall warmer & smoother sound with smoother treble.

Thank you very much for the answers and clarifications, apart of that, i would like to know if the MEXT can compete with the monarch mk2 because they are at the same price and i don't know which one would be more worth it..

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #254 of 298
Thank you very much for the answers and clarifications, apart of that, i would like to know if the MEXT can compete with the monarch mk2 because they are at the same price and i don't know which one would be more worth it..
I haven’t heard the Monarch Mk2, but from what I’ve read it more directly competes with the MEST, price notwithstanding. The MEST & Monarch have fairly neutral signatures with an elevated bass response while again the MEXT aims for a warmer sound. Notes on the MEXT would be thicker while the MEST & Monarch are cleaner & overall more resolving. So between the MEXT & Monarch it comes down to what sound you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back