V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 9, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #11,372 of 23,366
Quote:
As much as i'd love to get the verza my budget doesn't extend quite that far. Hmmm well I may have alot of thinking to do then. Thanks for the reply! Has anyone here made any comparisons between the M-100 and M-80??

On V-MODA's Facebook page:

V-MODA VAMP VERZA HK$ 4980 (~$650 USD).
^ Yeah that's still way too pricey for me; point of diminishing returns.

M-80 vs M-100
In brief, the M-80 is more balanced-sounding and I found it to have a more upfront midrange from my brief listens, the M-100 has better detail retrieval, soundstage, and treble sparkle.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #11,373 of 23,366
Quote:

M-80 vs M-100
In brief, the M-80 is more balanced-sounding and I found it to have a more upfront midrange from my brief listens, the M-100 has better detail retrieval, soundstage, and treble sparkle.

Hmm, I'd still like to try them out.
I don't personally like that design though, but thats not all that matters. I guess thats the part that connects to the phone somehow.
650 dollars - £405.57, not including customs, so no doubt it'd cost a whole lot more than that... That is expensive.

I'd be interested to know also how they would connect to the different phones.

Which Facebook page are you looking at? I thought I had the official one, and there is no word on this

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #11,374 of 23,366
Wow that looks good but 650 is wayyyyyy too much for me hahaha. Thanks for the comments about the M-80 Miceblue. Hmmm i'm starting to almost have 2nd doubts on these. I feel like i'm missing things that should be there in the midrange and lower treble but haven't found anything that compares in price. Curious to try the Momentums, and really want to try the m-80's. The MDR-1's even look pretty nice too. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #11,375 of 23,366
Quote:
Wow that looks good but 650 is wayyyyyy too much for me hahaha. Thanks for the comments about the M-80 Miceblue. Hmmm i'm starting to almost have 2nd doubts on these. I feel like i'm missing things that should be there in the midrange and lower treble but haven't found anything that compares in price. Curious to try the Momentums, and really want to try the m-80's. The MDR-1's even look pretty nice too. 

How long have you had them for?

I tried the Momentum's. Read one of my posts (I think its on the previous page... maybe?). I tested the Momentum's out at the Apple store, and came out happy, that the V-Moda's sound a lot more detailed. The mid range was slightly better on the Momentum's, but I found noticeable detail missing.
They were a very relaxing pair to listen to though, and they don't clamp as hard.
That said, the M-100's don't hurt me anymore, and I can hardly feel them, and I've had them on my head for a couple of hours now.

If you have a local Apple store, go have a look see. You may be surprised to find the Momentum's may be there. Along with the Sennheiser Amperors, etc.
I simply asked a store assistant if I could listen to my own source, and he happily unplugged them from the iPhone and let me have a listen for as long as I wanted.

If anything, doing so gave me peace of mind.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #11,376 of 23,366

I tried the Momentum's. Read one of my posts (I think its on the previous page... maybe?). I tested the Momentum's out at the Apple store, and came out happy, that the V-Moda's sound a lot more detailed. The mid range was slightly better on the Momentum's, but I found noticeable detail missing.
They were a very relaxing pair to listen to though, and they don't clamp as hard.
That said, the M-100's don't hurt me anymore, and I can hardly feel them, and I've had them on my head for a couple of hours now.

If you have a local Apple store, go have a look see. You may be surprised to find the Momentum's may be there. Along with the Sennheiser Amperors, etc.
I simply asked a store assistant if I could listen to my own source, and he happily unplugged them from the iPhone and let me have a listen for as long as I wanted.

If you read through some of the Momentum threads here at head-Fi, you'll notice that people are complaining about how the Apple Stores are purposely making the Momentums sound bad at their listening stations. I don't know if that's true, but some are thinking they might have ruined them in some way by blowing out the speakers slightly, or using bad chords, etc.

Best thing to do would be to buy them, listen to them for 1-2 weeks, and then return them if you don't like it's sound.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #11,378 of 23,366
Quote:
If you read through some of the Momentum threads here at head-Fi, you'll notice that people are complaining about how the Apple Stores are purposely making the Momentums sound bad at their listening stations. I don't know if that's true, but some are thinking they might have ruined them in some way by blowing out the speakers slightly, or using bad chords, etc.

Best thing to do would be to buy them, listen to them for 1-2 weeks, and then return them if you don't like it's sound.

Why, if they sell them?

The cable was the original Sennheiser one. I also unplugged from the iphone and used my own source...
They sounded good. They just didn't sound as good as the M-100's.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #11,379 of 23,366
Quote:

Thanks Musical Kage. I was one of the 2nd pre-order people and they've burnt in and i've adjusted from my Roc Nation Aviators to them. I think i'm just being indecisive at this point knowing in general theres better out there. But one album has been driving me nuts knowing if its the headphone or album. Collide With the Sky by Pierce The Veil. They're modern Alternative so be warned might not be everyones tastes. If anyone wants to discuss if this is headphone or album matter it'd be greatly appreciated. A few good test tracks are "Hell Above" I'm Low on Gas and You Need A Jacket" "King For A Day ft. Kellin quinn" and "Hold On Till may". 

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #11,380 of 23,366
Quote:
Thanks Musical Kage. I was one of the 2nd pre-order people and they've burnt in and i've adjusted from my Roc Nation Aviators to them. I think i'm just being indecisive at this point knowing in general theres better out there. But one album has been driving me nuts knowing if its the headphone or album. Collide With the Sky by Pierce The Veil. They're modern Alternative so be warned might not be everyones tastes. If anyone wants to discuss if this is headphone or album matter it'd be greatly appreciated. A few good test tracks are "Hell Above" I'm Low on Gas and You Need A Jacket" "King For A Day ft. Kellin quinn" and "Hold On Till may". 

Listening to Hell Above now on the M-100's.

I can hear a buzzing at 0:16... if thats not the detail showing through from the recording, I don't know what is, so the M-100's have no issues with music in general even with a lot going on. I think a lot of issues with music like this, is in fact the mixing.

It does indeed sound slightly crushed in the chorus, but at for example the 1:00 mark, you can tell there is a really good sound stage, and the instrument seperation gets very strong.

I just don't think they have balanced as well as they could have done on the louder chorus sections, but on a lot of the track, they sound very clean indeed, and very well spaced. The bass etc is very detailed, as is the higher mids, with the subtle echos on the voices.

Hold On Till May again sounds rather well seperated, with a bit of air around the instruments. I love where the string at the start places itself, and it sounds very full. The vocals also don't get as lost in this song due to the guitars.

The guitars and the vocals though, have the same kind of frequency range, so they do sound more...together, but again... is that the headphone, or the mixing of the track getting in the way, as they do a lot very well. You can even hear the voices very clearly as the track is fading out.

King For A Day at the start sounds a lot better! That guitar sounds very spaced. The cough is then directly in the middle, as I think it should be and is clear as day.
This is actually the better mixed track, but I can still hear some loudness war going on. I can hear some faint hissiness in the vocals in the loud parts.
Again, these headphones do not lack detail, if you can hear stuff like that in my opinion.

So I would have to blame the mix, as a lot is going on in that one band, so they could have seperated better in my opinion.

I'm Low On Gas & You Need A Jacket again has a lot of impact! The vocals are meant to sound echoy on this track, and less than centred. That is for sure.
The echos on his voice at 3:20 sound great, with the guitar in the middle of the left and centre channel.
Again, this is a pretty good mix on the M-100's.

I'll grab my dads really cheap XD200's now and check the mix, as they are pretty flat.

The seperation is far better on the M-100's, and the same mix problems are there, so its not the bass causing the issue.
Something you have to do with the M-100's is FEEL the bass, not hear it per say.

On my dads set (no real surprise), you couldn't make out the buzzing, or the voices at the end of Hold On Till May.

Try the towel mod, as this does help loads with the bass. I've had the towel mod in place for a couple of weeks now, and will help tracks like this.

Hold On Till May sounds the best on the M-100's of all the tracks I've demoed, and I'm Low On Gas second.

I think for the vocals in these types of heavy tracks, the Momentum's will be better, as the mids really are stronger.

I like this band though, thanks :)

EDIT:

Have all the albums been produced/mixed by the same people?

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #11,381 of 23,366
Quote:

Bingo.

Are there any adjustable features? I don't see much going on here.

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #11,382 of 23,366
Musical Kage, yeah i've heard everything you mentioned, but the way their drums sound sometimes and the clustering I imagine is most likely the mixing. But they're pretty good for how much they're cramming in there, I don't know they're doing all of that without the bass barely bleeding. The buzzing at 0:16 I love with all of the other details and attention they put into the mix :) They're all great songs that whole album rocks IMO. and I believe they mix their tracks like this on all. Mayday Parade who I also listen too I enjoy a lot too and sound great with the m-100. These headphones can really crank out some detail once you adjust to feeling that bass, if you like these guys you might wanna check out Mayday Parade they're different but great as well. If this convo continues you might wanna PM me haha everyone might not be as interested as us!

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #11,383 of 23,366
Quote:
Musical Kage, yeah i've heard everything you mentioned, but the way their drums sound sometimes and the clustering I imagine is most likely the mixing. But they're pretty good for how much they're cramming in there, I don't know they're doing all of that without the bass barely bleeding. The buzzing at 0:16 I love with all of the other details and attention they put into the mix :) They're all great songs that whole album rocks IMO. and I believe they mix their tracks like this on all. Mayday Parade who I also listen too I enjoy a lot too and sound great with the m-100. These headphones can really crank out some detail once you adjust to feeling that bass, if you like these guys you might wanna check out Mayday Parade they're different but great as well. If this convo continues you might wanna PM me haha everyone might not be as interested as us!

I'll give them a listen thanks :)
I just don't know what to say. I'd be interesting to visit the Apple Store once again and test these songs out, to see if the midrange really does hamper vocals in heavier rock style tracks, as in every other genre I have tested, they are very well balanced.
Plus, when things are busier, a lot still comes out that you'd think wouldn't happen if it was the headphones themselves causing the issue.
I just think rock/metal etc has a lot going on in the same frequency ranges, and it may be that these frequencies are occuring where the M-100's are slightly dipped.

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #11,384 of 23,366
I think what you just said sums it all up. There's just so much going on in a particular place where these just do not particularly excell at. But these really do have great detail retreival in the 300$ range and a little beyond. My previous headphones were XB 500's (mud to me now LOL) and the skullcandy Aviators which are actually pretty good and loved them for a long time. But i really prefer the M-100 you just gotta be used to the bass hitting you, then these are really nice, I do wish the lower treble had just a little more presence and detail. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #11,385 of 23,366
Quote:

They are not purposefully ruining the Momentum's they have on display. Think about that for a minute.  They make more selling a pair of Momentum's than they do selling an iPod.  I wouldn't be surprised if they were volume-limiting them somehow to shield themselves from lawsuits.  It is probably some legal concern over ear damage.  They are a bunch of liberals over there, thinking they need protect people from their own actions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back