V-MODA Shield Design Discussion
Oct 30, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #196 of 1,269
Quote:
David told me it should be fine when they down size the image, since it is actually much larger than they need it to be to fit on the shields. He also told me they would contact me if they had issues, as well as I have the option to request new shields should these turn out bad.

Yup, it's a pretty painless process to get them replaced, I did it for mine and they turned out pretty much perfectly the second time around!

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #197 of 1,269
So here is my final design. A friend helped me clean it up...still can't insert photos so here is a link:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_fPzGMr04fEX2lpa2xlTlBoWDA
Please tell me what you think of it! Also do you guys think it would look cool on a gold shields for the M-100 shadows. 
***EDIT****
Has somebody bought the m-100 shadows? If so would you say that the red is highlights or would you say that it is obnoxious or overbearing? also do you think that you would need red shields with them or would (like I asked earlier) gold shields work? Also does somebody know how to solve the problem with inserting images and getting a message about not being able to submit to the server? Can someone pleeaasssee answer my questions?!? (not to sound rude)

Oct 31, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #199 of 1,269
Quote:
I've been working on my new wallpapers, and I can't decide which one of these I should use for my second pair of shields, assuming I keep my M-100's once I get my AKG's.

​
(Click for Full Scale.)​

I would use the red viking hat thing in the top corner...they would look cool considering the shape of the shields. 

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #200 of 1,269
Yo folks I have a couple questions about the shields. First off, would purple shields look better with the matte black or the shadow?  Secondly, if ANY of you have designing prowess, can someone whip up a sexy Kingdom Hearts design for me?  I swear I'll ask permission to have the logo printed on the shields but I'm no good with designing xD

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #201 of 1,269
Quote:
I kinda like a mix of simple and nonsimple depending on how it complements the shield (or at least hope it does, lol). I suppose on a smaller canvas it works well to keep it simple but hey, it's personalized to your own tastes.

Back in July I gambled and said, hey, I'll probably end up using the M-100's regardless because I preordered them, and the M-80's are pretty good, so I *kinda* got a few extra shields.

(second shot where you can see the purple shield design a teensy bit better)

Edit: Good shield pics

L

Zelda

Hunpo (I wear hun on the right which is why it's arranged like this)

Purple (Phuc luc tho and my favorite things. One thing to note is any picture I take doesn't really capture the right color of purple it is. Instead it comes out strikingly similar to the shade on the v-moda website which isn't truly representative of the shade. I love the actual shade much more)

Gold is obvious. Zelda. Has to be gold!

The one I have equipped right now is L, because it's death note, come on! Although L is also for my last name (shoulda done one with R to differentiate the sides and compliment my first name too... but oh well). Gunmetal and Gold also work well together like gold and silver! So it has my two hobbies, manga and video games!

Black is the one that came with my M-100's. For black I went with the top one being Hun and the bottom symbol being po. The bottom with Po (the soul that stays with the body death) has the vitruvian man (kinda stick-ish figure) behind it to symbolize how kinda jumbled life is compared to the Hun side (the soul that leaves the body after death) which is simple and is wrapped around a Zen Enso. Also black and white for that sort of duality.

Purple! my favorite color, so let's lop all my favorite things on one side. A lotus, a daoist bagua, and clouds! The other side features a sign I have in my house that says "Phuc Luc Tho" and some other sayings that I put on there but wasn't too critical about showing up (looks calligraphy enough anyway, and it came out pretty good!). Key thing is that it's Vietnamese, means happiness, prosperity, and longevity (basically just good luck in general), and both sides represent me the most out of all the shields in one impact. (also gold/yellow and purple are great together if I really wanted to pair them)

So yes, combo of simple or not depending on what I want and how it complements the overall scheme of things. Obviously I don't think anyone'd go nearly as crazy as me, but that's my two cents.

Edit: The pics didn't come out great. I'll get better ones soon enough. Also, I could just be that I'm wearing down the screws, but every time I take out the screws and put them back in, it becomes easier. Weird, and changing them up is still just a weekly thing, but hey, whatever works.

Edit2: Right, so post is updated with pics.

Those are some NICE looking shields! Paying for them must have been a large dent in the wallet though (they're $45 per colour aren't they?). And I have to wonder why the gold one cost more?

Quote:
The first time was actually all jaggy and not very nice, but then I made a vector version of the art and sent that in, and it turned out like this!

My vector image actually came much smaller than what I had posted on the template. I dunno why that happened because I re-sized everything on the template to make full use of the allotted space...

Quote:
I've been working on my new wallpapers, and I can't decide which one of these I should use for my second pair of shields, assuming I keep my M-100's once I get my AKG's.

​
(Click for Full Scale.)​

Personally I like the viking helmet and the two stars; nice and simple.

Quote:
Yo folks I have a couple questions about the shields. First off, would purple shields look better with the matte black or the shadow?  Secondly, if ANY of you have designing prowess, can someone whip up a sexy Kingdom Hearts design for me?  I swear I'll ask permission to have the logo printed on the shields but I'm no good with designing xD

I think purple shields would look better with the matte black since I'm not sure it will look great with the glossy parts of the shadow scheme.

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #202 of 1,269
Sure thing miceblue! One of my friends was like, "shadow and purple!!" but nah matte black will look better. Btw, how did you make such a sick design on your shields? I'm no artist and using that illustrator thing is hard xD

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #203 of 1,269
Quote:
My vector image actually came much smaller than what I had posted on the template. I dunno why that happened because I re-sized everything on the template to make full use of the allotted space...

I think you might just have to actually ask for it in words, I think by default they tend to make them a bit smaller, Val said it was due to artistic balance or something.

Nov 2, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #204 of 1,269
Quote:
Sure thing miceblue! One of my friends was like, "shadow and purple!!" but nah matte black will look better. Btw, how did you make such a sick design on your shields? I'm no artist and using that illustrator thing is hard xD

It's not that spectacular. XD
I'm not an artist myself either and if you look at previous posts in the thread I actually asked for advice about what to put on my shields.

• I decided to put a Rod of Asclepius in the center to symbolize my field of study (bioengineering with an emphasis on tissue regeneration/healing). And yes the Rod of Asclepius is the correct symbol of medicine/healing, not the Caduceus which is used quite often in the U.S.A...really it bugs the heck out of me when I see the Caduceus being used at hospitals/other health-related places.
  • I put my name, family, and good friends in Chinese to symbolize my cultural heritage (my name and "good friends" are written vertically and read L/R as it is the more traditional way to read/write Chinese; I place more emphasis on good friends and family than myself a lot of times, so "friends" is on the right, "family" in the center, and my name on the left; my family is Americanized so "family" is written in the more modern L/R style; I also used traditional characters for everything since my cultural background is more Cantonese than Mandarin).
  • The Rod of Asclepius is placed above "family" because recently my family has been troubled with health-related stuff.
  • The Rod of Asclepius is also sticking out of the heart shape because although it's the main thing I love in terms of academics, it is also the most painful as my grades are not doing very well...(a thorn sticking out of the heart)
  • I placed everything within a heart because I love everything within it and they mean a lot to me.
  • I chose ocean blue as my colour because 1) it looks good with white and 2) although dark blue has been my favourite colour for a while, I'm starting to appreciate brighter colours nowadays, and sky blue is one of them
  • The design is also on a headphone...so I love music? :D

^ the shield in reality seems to be a brighter, more vibrant blue than what you see in this photo
the difference is something like this:

Apart from the story behind my shields:
  • I found a Rod of Asclepius picture online and greatly modified it using GIMP.
  • I created the heart in Illustrator by following a simple guide.
  • I took a screenshot of the heart on a large monitor so that it would be a high resolution screenshot.
  • I combined the heart and Rod of Asclepius via GIMP and positioned the Rod so that it would be in the center of the heart. I also modified it slightly so that it looks like the snake is being spiraled around the heart.
  • I imported that picture into Illustrator and vectorized it.
  • I added and positioned the text in Illustrator and made sure to make them outlined/rasterized (I used ruler guidelines for the alignment).
  • I then took the template file provided by V-MODA and imported my file into it.
  • After resizing my design to make sure it used the most amount of the allowed space on the shield, I submitted it

Quote:
I think you might just have to actually ask for it in words, I think by default they tend to make them a bit smaller, Val said it was due to artistic balance or something.

Yeah he mentioned that. I'm fine with how it turned out, it's just smaller than what I was expecting. I don't think it's worth e-mailing them to ask if they can make/send another shield.

Nov 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #205 of 1,269
Oh wow! I never thought of the meaning that is seriously SICK (the good sick)!! I recently preordered the m-100s, but will have to conjure up something when I'm not dying from university xD Thank you for sharing that is a really neat symbol :D

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #207 of 1,269
Val if you are reading, whats missing are colored matte shields. I think they would also look really cool especially with the matte black.. Matte orange or red or purple, any other color would look great i think esp to match the kevlar cables !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back