V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
May 14, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #634 of 1,343
Although it is "useless" while charging, the battery life is good.  I plug it in at night and the Verza and my ipod are charged by the morning and ready to go.  You'd have to listen a lot for it to become a problem.

May 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #635 of 1,343
I plug it in at night and the Verza and my ipod are charged by the morning and ready to go.  You'd have to listen a lot for it to become a problem.

Rechargeable batteries have limited charge cycles. Would you use up V-Moda's limited battery cycles if you charge the iPod with it? I do charge them separate every night. My iPod classics charges in an hours from the wall while V-Moda takes a few hours to fill up the juice.

Curious to know why VentureCraft designed it so that is becoming "useless" while charging? Other DAC/AMPs can be used while charging.

May 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #637 of 1,343
Rechargeable batteries have limited charge cycles. Would you use up V-Moda's limited battery cycles if you charge the iPod with it? I do charge them separate every night. My iPod classics charges in an hours from the wall while V-Moda takes a few hours to fill up the juice.

Curious to know why VentureCraft designed it so that is becoming "useless" while charging? Other DAC/AMPs can be used while charging.

I don't know what kind of battery Vmoda put in this thing, but I don't see them cheaping out when they've done so much with the rest of it. Decent batteries now should be able to get hundreds of charges before loosing retention, so I'm not too worried about it. Even at a couple of charges a week, I see years of use before its an issue. And, if it ever becomes one, then I'll contact Vmoda and have it replaced (or do it myself if I can).

As for the iPod classic, I've replaced batteries and screens and neither is really that difficult or expensive. Just takes a bit of time and some online videos. Certainly not worth worrying about.

Besides, I can usually listen 2-3 times before needing to recharge it, so it doesn't seem like it will be an issue.

May 31, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #638 of 1,343
I don't think this was discussed in this thread so far but do we have any more information on the two built-in DACs? All I could find online was that the "regular" DAC is a Burr Brown and the iOS DAC is from AKM.

May 31, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #640 of 1,343
I dont have much experience with DACs so how would the iOS DAC (AK4353) compare to other DACs in this price range? Lets say the Fostex HP-P1 or the DAC in the Fiio E17 (which is much cheaper but thats the one i currently use)?

May 31, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #641 of 1,343
FYI: you can actually use either DAC in the VERZA for iDevices, as both iAMP mode and USB-DAC mode works for them.  However, in USB-DAC mode it gives off slightly more power, so the sound may be louder.

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #643 of 1,343
I currently own a CypherLabs AlgoRhythm Solo, paired to an iBasso D6 "AMP/DAC" and iPodTouch, how does the V-Moda Vamp Versa compare to a setup like mine, I see the V-Moda has only 150mW max output, as my D6 has 650mW max output. The one thing that intrigues me is that it works with Android phones like my S3 via LOD "USB", but I don't know if spending $700 with the metalo phone case is a wise purchase for someone like myself, oe even just the AMP/DAC for $600. I also use the iBasso D6 "when I can" with my S3 "not that the S3 Amp is bad" , but the D6 just makes it so much better. Anyone feel free to chime in.

Note: My setup is used primarily with my JH16PRO'S.

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #644 of 1,343
The thing that I do not understand is that people are testing this AMP/DAC with Cans "this AMP/DAC is not powerful enough to drive most cans out there", can you hear music out of them, sure you can, but not like a desktop AMP/DAC "which most cans are designed for", this AMP/DAC was designed for PORTABLE use "IEM'S", and I don't see many people on the go with CANS on their heads "and the ones I do see look ridiculous, well to me that is". All the reviews I am seeing here is mostly with cans, only one review that I have seen with IEM'S is from Steve Guttenberg, http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57587030-47/v-modas-outrageously-sweet-portable-dac-and-headphone-amp/

Jun 2, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #645 of 1,343
Highfidelity69, I placed my order yesterday so don't have them yet.   But regarding IEMs or cans, I plan on using the Verza for both, IEM's for mobile and headphones for desktop use.  I can only assume that the headphone out will do a better job than my aging M-Audio Firewire 410 even for headphones.   I believe the Verza was designed with other V-Moda cans in mind and most reviews have said it plays well with low impedance cans but can't really drive the real difficult ones, which is fine by me, as I don't own any of those.  A potential acquisition of the LCD-2/3 will also play well as it's 50 ohms.  

And the CNET review said it didn't do very well with 250+ ohm headphones, which is not "most cans out there".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back