Violectric HPA V550 - Blue's Brother and the successor to the V281
Jan 25, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #976 of 1,061
So I read through this whole thread before purchasing a used V550 Pro back in October. I did pick it up and want to confirm what someone else mentioned above. The Reed relay pot has 256 steps. This is alot for what is only maybe 270-300 degrees of pot rotation. There are audible clicks which do sound more like scratching as you turn the knob. They are more noticeable with IEMs and sensitive headphones. I barely notice it when music is playing on my higher impedance headphones. I find this acceptable given the style of volume pot and how other stepped attenuators do the same thing juts with far fewer steps

Now with that said, the used unit (original dual 1/4" jacks) I picked up also exhibited some very small dead spots in the volume range. The sound would pop and crackle as you passed these spots and the volume would jump around for a non-second. That to me was just unacceptable. I was the third owner of the amp but it was still within the five year warranty. I reached out the original US-based dealer and after answering some questions they arranged to have a brand new replacement amp sent to me. It took maybe a month or more for it all to happen but I did get it finally.

The new amp has the 4.4mm jack and "256 step PROCONTROL" badging on the volume pot itself and a chrome ring about the remote sensor. You can see the differences here:

PXL_20231204_190236578.jpg

I have had the new amp for about two months now and have not observed any degradation of the volume pot yet. I do really worry that the same issue may pop up on this new unit however. Also, while I only had both the old and the new amps together for a few days. I did observe just a touch more mid-bass presence on the new amp and preferred the sound of it compared to the old one which sounded just a touch leaner.

I absolutely love this amp, especially paired with the Tungsten and the Caldera. It has the blackest background and cleanest sound I have ever heard. The separation and imaging is top tier. While there is depth to the sound it is not holographic like a tube amp or like the Holo Bliss. It has tighter bass and way more treble extension than the Bliss though. This makes the Bliss sound like a tube amp!

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #977 of 1,061
Damn, I have been reading the thread for days. Between the v550pro, the bliss and the ferrum hypsos oor, I was almost ready to pull the trigger on the v550pro.

On the Ferrum thread there are some complains about hums, bliss seems too tubby and hot (maybe it's a tube amp after all hehe), and the 550pro does some "funny" things with the volume pot.

Call me exquisite, but I am not really feeling comfy for almost 3k amp.

I do own a FluxLab Fa-12 which also has a relay volume pot (obviously not at the same level) as the fa costs 750€ + around 200+ for vat in my country.

Even though in asr review seems that it had some distortion while moving the volume, I haven't noticed that or I don't find it audible at all. In fact, I really enjoy the amp.

But with my new Caldera toy I was really hoping to jump into a new category of amps.

What should I look for now.

This search feels exhausting. 😔

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #978 of 1,061
Damn, I have been reading the thread for days. Between the v550pro, the bliss and the ferrum hypsos oor, I was almost ready to pull the trigger on the v550pro.

On the Ferrum thread there are some complains about hums, bliss seems too tubby and hot (maybe it's a tube amp after all hehe), and the 550pro does some "funny" things with the volume pot.

I do own a FluxLab Fa-12 which also has a relay volume pot (obviously not at the same level) as the fa costs 750€ + around 200+ for vat in my country.

Even though in asr review seems that it had some distortion while moving the volume, I haven't noticed that or I don't find it audible at all. In fact, I really enjoy the amp.

But with my new Caldera toy I was really hoping to jump into a new category of amps.

I know how you feel. I decided to get V550 non pro, could be an option for you too. I currently use GS-X MKII and it has DACT 24 step attenuator. Makes very faint noise when switching volume positions, but most of the time I can't even notice it. I'm just concerned with V550 Pro, because some users state very loud noises, or volume "jumps", as I'm really remote, just don't want to take the chance, as shipping will be a killer for me.

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #979 of 1,061
I know how you feel. I decided to get V550 non pro, could be an option for you too. I currently use GS-X MKII and it has DACT 24 step attenuator. Makes very faint noise when switching volume positions, but most of the time I can't even notice it. I'm just concerned with V550 Pro, because some users state very loud noises, or volume "jumps", as I'm really remote, just don't want to take the chance, as shipping will be a killer for me.
Absolutely, but isn't the regular pot a step down in terms of sound quality?
no scratching, perfect channel balance,
ideal crosstalk resistance, no additional distortion or noise, as there are only fixed resistors in the signal.
perfect sound, as there is only one voltage divider in the signal path....
I take it from the source provided here a few posts ago...

If there are no sound differences, I may go for the v550 non pro. Or just wait for the new class A of Fluxlab. Although that may take a while...

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #980 of 1,061
no scratching, perfect channel balance,
ideal crosstalk resistance, no additional distortion or noise, as there are only fixed resistors in the signal.
perfect sound, as there is only one voltage divider in the signal path....
I take it from the source provided here a few posts ago...

If there are no sound differences, I may go for the v550 non pro. Or just wait for the new class A of Fluxlab. Although that may take a while...
The ONLY reason I looked at the Pro was for perfect channel balance with the relay's. I auditioned a GS-X Mini with an alps pot and a dact, I ended up buying the Mini with the alps pot, I couldn't tell a difference in sound between them, but wanted the better flexibility in volume control of the Alps vs the DACT (only 24 steps). The GS-X MKII has the the same stepped attenuator, the difference here is I have 3 gain settings, so I have more volume adjustment vs the mini.

If someone wants to chime in on a difference in SQ besides the channel matching for the V550, please feel free, as I have not auditioned this amp, let alone both versions side by side.

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #981 of 1,061
What are you replacing your GSX's volume control with?

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #982 of 1,061
What are you replacing your GSX's volume control with?
Not replacing it. It has 3 gain settings, and with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS I have it set to -10db on the output so I actually find the 24 steps to be just fine with the headphones that I have. The -10db cut helps with any eq I choose to use as well.

Jan 25, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #983 of 1,061
hm, I must be confusing you with someone. There is one guy who as a defunct DACT control on his MKII. Must have misread or it's another person.
In any case, if I had a choice it would never be the ALPS RK50 as people suggested, it imparts too much of its own.

Way better but not a good idea for retail :

1706227213972.png

or

https://khozmo.com/product/vishay-smd/

AMRT/Z-Foil with Remote.

Jan 25, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #984 of 1,061
hm, I must be confusing you with someone. There is one guy who as a defunct DACT control on his MKII. Must have misread or it's another person.
In any case, if I had a choice it would never be the ALPS RK50 as people suggested, it imparts too much of its own.

Way better but not a good idea for retail :

1706227213972.png

or

https://khozmo.com/product/vishay-smd/

AMRT/Z-Foil with Remote.
The V550 has an Alps RK27 Pot standard. I'm not the one with a dead DACT, but I know the post you are referring to, just can't remember where I saw it.

Jan 25, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #985 of 1,061

You can play the v550 Pro volume pot lottery and hope for the best, or you can opt for the non pro version.
You can look at a Wells Milo, which is supposedly great with the Caldera (no experience, just repeating what I read)
I've also heard good things about the Violectric v281 re-issue that Arthur Power had on his site.
Or you can wait until ZMF launches the commercial version of the Aegis SET amp. Fantastic pairing with the Caldera and pretty much any other headphone.
Or you can ask in this thread for other suggestions.
Arthur Power did tell me there was a SQ difference, but I have not heard the non pro version myself.

Jan 25, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #986 of 1,061

There is also the Schiit Mjolnir 3.

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:43 AM Post #987 of 1,061
You can play the v550 Pro volume pot lottery and hope for the best, or you can opt for the non pro version.
You can look at a Wells Milo, which is supposedly great with the Caldera (no experience, just repeating what I read)
I've also heard good things about the Violectric v281 re-issue that Arthur Power had on his site.
Or you can wait until ZMF launches the commercial version of the Aegis SET amp. Fantastic pairing with the Caldera and pretty much any other headphone.
Or you can ask in this thread for other suggestions.

Arthur Power did tell me there was a SQ difference, but I have not heard the non pro version myself.

There is also the Schiit Mjolnir 3.
Thank you both for the options. But as I am in the eu. I will try to stay away from us shopping. Customs in my country is a big rip off. I wish I could find a way to avoid that. Since there are so many products I'd like to get. But unfortunately after the caldera purchase, it's something I'll never do again. Customs in Spain are really a wallet assassination.
I will consider your options though.
But I am likely choosing a product in the eu.
Thanks

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #988 of 1,061
Customs isn't great in Germany either. Bandits like DHL Express also take extra fees and expensive storage fees and sometimes love to delay your packages with dumb questions so it piles up.

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #990 of 1,061
Happy to see that Modhouse Tungsten DS pairs well and beautifully with Violectric V550. Now it is a little bit boring on the Modhouse website that the Tungsten is sold out and do not know when they are back to ordered. I would like a new headphone which is an upgrade from my Sennheiser HD650.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back