Violectric HPA V550 - Blue's Brother and the successor to the V281
Jan 27, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #991 of 1,057
Happy to see that Modhouse Tungsten DS pairs well and beautifully with Violectric V550. Now it is a little bit boring on the Modhouse website that the Tungsten is sold out and do not know then they are back to ordered. I would like a new headphone which is an upgrade from my Sennheiser HD650.
I can recommend the ZMF Auteur Classic, an upgraded HD650.

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #992 of 1,057
Is there anyone who can make a comparison between the V550 and the Phonitor XE? someone who has owned both and who ultimately made his choice
You might go to youtube and search for reviews By WaveTheory channel. He reviewed both and maybe PM him for advice. These two amps were in my considerations about a few months ago but in the end I chose V550 because of higher quality control than SPL Phonitor.

Jan 28, 2024 at 4:50 AM Post #993 of 1,057
You might go to youtube and search for reviews By WaveTheory channel. He reviewed both and maybe PM him for advice. These two amps were in my considerations about a few months ago but in the end I chose V550 because of higher quality control than SPL Phonitor.
How do you find the V550? What was your previous amps? Had any class a you cold compare with? I do like class A, not so much ab. Vio 550 is a into ab but not sure how I feel about it. Was about to get the v550 pro but the volume pot issue that sound so much over here let me down.

Regardless of that and not to steal your topic, anyone's could compare v550 vs v550pro sound wise? Also, what could be the traits for non pro version in a future?
I'd hate to end up with an amp that does the old scratch sound when turning volume up and down.

Jan 28, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #994 of 1,057
How do you find the V550? What was your previous amps? Had any class a you cold compare with? I do like class A, not so much ab. Vio 550 is a into ab but not sure how I feel about it. Was about to get the v550 pro but the volume pot issue that sound so much over here let me down.

Regardless of that and not to steal your topic, anyone's could compare v550 vs v550pro sound wise? Also, what could be the traits for non pro version in a future?
I'd hate to end up with an amp that does the old scratch sound when turning volume up and down.
In all fairness, the only difference between the two should be channel balance. The RK27 Alps Pot is a good pot, and shouldn’t give any channel imbalance, except when you get to the bottom/top of its travel. You would most likely never notice this unless you are running iem’s, or have the gain at 18db and only want to use the first quarter of its travel, which shouldn’t be done regardless.

I’ve opted for the non pro as I have yet to hear a difference in “pots” when auditioning two amps, now I admit I have not heard these two side by side, but there is no hesitation on my part as far as pots go. Peace of mind means more that some relays for channel balance.

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #995 of 1,057
In all fairness, the only difference between the two should be channel balance. The RK27 Alps Pot is a good pot, and shouldn’t give any channel imbalance, except when you get to the bottom/top of its travel. You would most likely never notice this unless you are running iem’s, or have the gain at 18db and only want to use the first quarter of its travel, which shouldn’t be done regardless.

I’ve opted for the non pro as I have yet to hear a difference in “pots” when auditioning two amps, now I admit I have not heard these two side by side, but there is no hesitation on my part as far as pots go. Peace of mind means more that some relays for channel balance.
As far as I understand, you will soon become the owner of a Vio 550. I also see that your installation already has GSX MKII. Please share your impressions when you do a pairwise comparison of amplifiers. Thank you.

Jan 28, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #996 of 1,057
As far as I understand, you will soon become the owner of a Vio 550. I also see that your installation already has GSX MKII. Please share your impressions when you do a pairwise comparison of amplifiers. Thank you.
What headphones do you have?

Jan 28, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #997 of 1,057
I will be happy too, as long as the MKII lasts that long. I’ve been having intermittent issues with the amp, and sadly headamp has gone radio silent on the issue, after at first responding within a decent enough timeline.

Jan 28, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #998 of 1,057
What headphones do you have?
I'm not sure I understood your question correctly. But, if the question concerns the equipment that I have, then it is indicated in the signature.

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #999 of 1,057
Unfortunately, I wont be able to do this for a while. GS-X MKII has been sent back for warranty. Hopefully this wont be multiple months until I get it back, but I'm at the mercy of the shipping companies, and also how busy Headamp is. But I will do a comparison as soon as I am able. The V550 should be here next week sometime.

Jan 29, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #1,000 of 1,057
Heh y'all, if you're like me new to the higher end Vio's (previously had a V222) you're probably trying to make heads or tails of the info on the threads concerning the noise from the potentiometers. I have a V281 on order and saw it uses the same reed relays so I reached out to Aurtur at PowerHolding to get a better understanding of this. His response is below verbatim in bold, wanted to share in case its helpful to those interested and new to this amp and the other Reed Relay pot Vio's.

"All relay volume controls regardless of the company that makes them have some small clicks and pops on occasion heard when adjusting the volume. This is just an idiosyncrasy of this type of volume control. This is only a slightly heard sound for a moment when turning the knob. Many relays are opening and closing at the same time which control individual resistors. The faster you turn the volume knob the greater chance there is for an audible click or pop. Some customers just don't understand this and are very bothered by this minor issue. To them it is seen as a defect and that a product this expensive should not have this kind of 'issue'. It's only an issue for customers who don't understand how it works and believe that this is a defect.

Note in the winter when it is very dry and there's more static electricity, the chances for clicks and pops are greater just like when playing vinyl on a record player. No one considers minor clicks and pops when playing a record as a defective turntable. And yet this occurs as the music is playing continuously. A relay volume may have minor clicks or pops, but only when you're turning the knob to adjust the level for that split second, it does not continue!

The advantages of a relay volume are channel balance and precise volume adjustment accompanied by better detail and imaging. A very small percentage of units might develop a bad relay however and in that case we will repair or replace the relay volume board if needed. A bad relay will cause a dead spot where the volume cuts out at an exact position. This indeed is a defect and requires replacement. There's no soldering needed and anyone who's handy is able to replace these boards themselves or they can send their unit to us or Violectric in Germany for servicing. Again, this is very rare, maybe one in 500 units might develop a bad relay. Unfortunately all it takes is a few cases reported online and everybody thinks that there is some major defect with these products. If you check other brands who use a similar type relay volume, you will find they also exhibit the same type of mild low volume clicks and pops for just a moment on occasion when adjusting the volume knob.

So small clicks or pops are normal, if there's a dead spot at a specific location on the volume control, then that would indicate one defective relay. People unfortunately confuse these two things together when reading posts online and if they hear clicks and pops especially in the winter when adjusting the volume, they immediately think that their unit is defective.

I hope this helps clear up how a relay volume works and what you can expect. Of course if there is any real issue or problem these units include a 5-year warranty which is transferable and we will take care of it. :)

Feel free to share this information with anyone so we can help customers understand how a relay volume works. We don't want anyone to be disappointed!"

I still have my unit on order, Arthur seems like a great guy to work with so I'll just wait and see :)

This is all very well but when I tested the Topping a70 Pro which has relay volume control, other than the clicks which is normal it's pretty much silent, I'm assuming that Violectric use different relays to Topping?

Jan 29, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #1,001 of 1,057
This is all very well but when I tested the Topping a70 Pro which has relay volume control, other than the clicks which is normal it's pretty much silent, I'm assuming that Violectric use different relays to Topping?
Vio is using the Reed Relay attenuator. I believe the same as Benchmark HPA4. Some feel free to correct me, but I’m pretty sure that’s what I read.

Jan 29, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #1,002 of 1,057
Is there anyone who can make a comparison between the V550 and the Phonitor XE? someone who has owned both and who ultimately made his choice
Hello Guy, I considered the phonitor, too. It is quite a beautiful device but none of these offered what I was looking for: pre-amplifier capabilities and balanced headphone output.
Quite an interesting read you might have already found with some comparison, you might have already found that but it's full of details:
https://www.headphoneer.com/spl-phonitor-xe-review/
V550 will come in two or three months time. …. I think you already own a device which includes features the phonitor offers, this one will act as my DAC for this V550, even if most people would prefer a superior DAC

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #1,003 of 1,057
Hello Guy, I considered the phonitor, too. It is quite a beautiful device but none of these offered what I was looking for: pre-amplifier capabilities and balanced headphone output.
Quite an interesting read you might have already found with some comparison, you might have already found that but it's full of details:
V550 will come in two or three months time. …. I think you already own a device which includes features the phonitor offers, this one will act as my DAC for this V550, even if most people would prefer a superior DAC
Just to correct Phonitor X does have pre amplifier and balanced headphone out, but I heard its very headphone picky.
https://spl.audio/en/spl-produkt/phonitor-x/

Jan 29, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #1,004 of 1,057
Just to correct Phonitor X does have pre amplifier and balanced headphone out, but I heard its very headphone picky.
https://spl.audio/en/spl-produkt/phonitor-x/
Mea culpa for that misinformation and thanks for the correction!
I heard/read another thing too because of that I may have withdrawn from my consideration of buying that device, but I won't spread another misinformation, so sorry again.
But Headphone pickiness is not funny also.

Jan 30, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #1,005 of 1,057
Hi, I've actually already tried the Phonitor XE connected to my RME ADI-2 DAC and although it has slightly better technicalities than the ADI-2's headphone output I don't think the upgrade is worth the expense, the Phonitor XE extends well in the high end, it's smooth, neutral open and non-fatiguing and although it has good subs, to my ears it lacks grunt in the bass and mid-bass, the RME in this respect gives me more body and better layering in the low end, although it doesn't have the same openness and smoothness as the Phonitor XE above 2000hz.

This is why I was considering the V550 as from the reviews it seems to be a bit warmer than neutral and maybe it would be able to give me that grunt that the Phonitor XE lacks, the only fear is that the V550 will be too much the opposite of the Phonitor XE is that is it will offer the impact I like in the low end but will be boring in the highs.... I'm in crisis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back