Violectric V222 and V202
Mar 29, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #1,636 of 1,861
Mar 29, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #1,638 of 1,861
Maybe it's not snatched into place, as it's a bit recessed. I'll take a look at it tomorrow to see if I can fix it myself (I already removed the cover when it arrived in order to switch the voltage)

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #1,639 of 1,861
Maybe it's not snatched into place, as it's a bit recessed. I'll take a look at it tomorrow to see if I can fix it myself (I already removed the cover when it arrived in order to switch the voltage)
Is the voltage not set to 115v for units sold in the United States by default?

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #1,641 of 1,861
Fixed it myself. Removed the cover, saw the the XLR connector was not properly inserted into the chassis in its upper part, disconnected an internal cable that was on the way, inserted the connector into its proper place in the chassis (needed to apply a little force for that), reconnected the cable and closed the cover. Now it's perfect. All in all it took maybe 10 minutes. As soon as I reliazed that I may be able to fix it myself, I wasn't going to wait for tomorrow. Thanks for reassuring me that it wasn't OK as it was. Anyway, this is poor QC on Violectric's end

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #1,642 of 1,861
Just got the Mjolnir 3 to compare to V222. Pairing and initial thought first 20 minutes after being brain-burned to V222

Headphone: HE1000 Stealth balanced input

V222+ Denafrips Ares 12th-1: More Intimate imaging. Wider soundstage and smoother mix between the instruments. More Bass, warmer/musical, slight treble sparkle

Mjolnir 3 + Bifrost 2/64: Smaller overall soundstage, but less intimate imaging. So, Imaging is more accurate, but harder to pick out in 'space'. Faster Transience, really Punches without delay on bass hits whereas the V222 just booms. Less Bass boom and much less mid warmth. Vocals less forward, all instruments very in-line, not as holographic. Leaner-neutral overall. More accurate treble with no sibilant-sparkle, yet it comes across more fatiguing without the warmth.
Mjolnir 3 + Ares 12th-1: Wider stage than Bifrost 2, but much thinner and flatter. FLAT. A little more accurate treble as BF2/64 sharpens it. If you want ZERO color this is the way. Not my preference, but any HE-1000SE owner's dream.

Quite in-line with Wave-Theories review. Going to brain-burn the MJ3 for a bit to develop less bias.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #1,643 of 1,861
Just got the Mjolnir 3 to compare to V222. Pairing and initial thought first 20 minutes after being brain-burned to V222

V222+ Denafrips Ares 12th-1: More Intimate imaging. Wider soundstage and smoother mix between the instruments. More Bass, warmer/musical, slight treble sparkle

Mjolnir 3 + Bifrost 2/64: Smaller overall soundstage, but less intimate imaging. So, Imaging is more accurate, but harder to pick out in 'space'. Faster Transience, really Punches without delay on bass hits whereas the V222 just booms. Less Bass boom and much less mid warmth. Vocals less forward, all instruments very in-line, not as holographic. Leaner-neutral overall. More accurate treble with no sibilant-sparkle, yet it comes across more fatiguing without the warmth.
Mjolnir 3 + Ares 12th-1: Wider stage than Bifrost 2, but much thinner and flatter. FLAT. A little more accurate treble as BF2/64 sharpens it. If you want ZERO color this is the way. Not my preference, but any HE-1000SE owner's dream.

Quite in-line with Wave-Theories review. Going to brain-burn the MJ3 for a bit to develop less bias.

Schiit YGGDRASIL, V800 or Geshelli sounds like a good next ones to try. Surprised by the Bifrost2/64 is so neutral, thought it may have been a perfect match.

Maybe time for a 'catch and release' on the Mjolnir 3........

Mar 31, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #1,644 of 1,861

Have you tried connecting V222+Bifrost 2/64?
I have Bifrost 2/64 + HE-1000SE and I have a choice - V222 or Mjolnir 3, I don’t know what to choose.

Mar 31, 2024 at 3:48 AM Post #1,645 of 1,861
I have Bifrost 2/64 + HE-1000SE and I have a choice - V222 or Mjolnir 3, I don’t know what to choose.
I have been trying that combo and V222 and Bifrost 2/64 is a magical pair — highly recommended.

Mar 31, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #1,646 of 1,861
I have been trying that combo and V222 and Bifrost 2/64 is a magical pair — highly recommended.
Personally feel the BF2 actually makes it a bit TOO thick sounding haha. I find the Ares 12TH-1 being R2R and with a larger soundstage and flatter signature actually makes the V222 sound a lot more holographic and dynamic and not cramped-intimate - albeit at the cost of the BF2's bass impact.

Mar 31, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #1,647 of 1,861
BF2 is a little thick sounding in my chain with V222, it HAS to be in NOS mode or it gets "stuffy" and all the Planar air is gone.
HE1000SE you will absolutely want the MJ3, IF the reason you got the SE was to chase accurate neutrality.
Watch Wave Theories review, in which he does talk specifically to the V222/MJ3 paired with SE at some points.
The Flex MENTOR is a 3rd competitor that apparently tops both V222 and MJ3 for the same price, and it's more grandiose and neutral than each.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #1,648 of 1,861
Schiit YGGDRASIL, V800 or Geshelli sounds like a good next ones to try. Surprised by the Bifrost2/64 is so neutral, thought it may have been a perfect match.

Maybe time for a 'catch and release' on the Mjolnir 3........
PM me in a month, I may be your catch...
BF2 is Lean, both paired together create the perfect "Schiit Timbre" BUT when comparing to the V222, the most musical and romantic solid-state amp at this price-range, it's much 'cleaner'
Hours longer I'm finding MJ3 in High gain + BF2 in OS mode brings the color back but not close to the V222.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #1,649 of 1,861
PM me in a month, I may be your catch...
BF2 is Lean, both paired together create the perfect "Schiit Timbre" BUT when comparing to the V222, the most musical and romantic solid-state amp at this price-range, it's much closer to neutral in the mids. As I noted, the Ares makes it a lot flatter than the BF2
I may hold you to that!

So you just testing or not happening with your DAC?

Their are a lot of really good amps but finding a good DAC is fools gold, I was told.

Have you tried the V800 yet?

Mar 31, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #1,650 of 1,861
BF2 is a little thick sounding in my chain with V222, it HAS to be in NOS mode or it gets "stuffy" and all the Planar air is gone.
HE1000SE you will absolutely want the MJ3, IF the reason you got the SE was to chase accurate neutrality.
Watch Wave Theories review, in which he does talk specifically to the V222/MJ3 paired with SE at some points.
The Flex MENTOR is a 3rd competitor that apparently tops both V222 and MJ3 for the same price, and it's more grandiose and neutral than each.
Thanks for the advice, I understand, I need MJ3.
I always choose NOS mode on BF 2/64

Flex MENTOR would be too bulky on my desk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back