Warwick Acoustics APERIO and BRAVURA
Feb 19, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #811 of 861
Hey everyone, I've had a few messages and notifications.
I did receive the Warwick Aperio, but I ended up on vacation immediately after.

Going to try and provide more information this week.

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #813 of 861
Maxed out at 92 dB before first hint of clipping.

Update: I switched up my setup in my office where I disconnected all of my loudspeakers and amps from my PSM156 power conditioner + Ultimate XX cable + ground master fed by a dedicated power line. Now there's ZERO discernable level of distortion at my highest level of hearing (98 dB) with any song. Again, maybe I lucked out with a very good unit but that's just my experience. YMMV.

Also when plugged to a wall outlet in my bedroom, there was a noticeable struggle when pushing the gain at higher increments and the sound wasn't as full or engaging so I could see where a lot of you are coming from. I think the actual solution comes down to improving the quality of your power that could mitigate that issue.

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #814 of 861
To put it frankly, I can see why folks stop after they purchase an Aperio.
Giving some serious consideration to selling everything else I own.

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #815 of 861
To put it frankly, I can see why folks stop after they purchase an Aperio.
Giving some serious consideration to selling everything else I own.
I told you!

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #816 of 861
How do you feel Susvara compares to Aperio, ran on something like bliss/may?

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #817 of 861
How do you feel Susvara compares to Aperio, ran on something like bliss/may?
I can't even bring myself to use the Susvara on my endgame chain.
I've been trying to force myself to use my conventional planars and estats, but they just end up back on their stands.

I'm not saying the Susvara is bad by any means. It's a hair more comfortable and a heck of a lot cheaper.
The sound of Susvara is less realistic and less compelling to me, but it's still an excellent headphone, without being locked into a proprietary setup.

Aperio is more realistic, more compelling, and frankly impressive for a headphone.

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #818 of 861
Interesting.

Will be hearing it soon alongside with Raal Imannis. Very curious, so far rather meh experience with over ear e-stats. Bravura was inferior to my ear realism-wise compared to Sus on a good chain.

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:29 AM Post #819 of 861
Interesting.

Will be hearing it soon alongside with Raal Imannis. Very curious, so far rather meh experience with over ear e-stats. Bravura was inferior to my ear realism-wise compared to Sus on a good chain.
I sold my Bravura in favor of a good Susvara chain.

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #820 of 861
Interesting.

Having previously owned a Stax 009S, the Bravura, and the Sus; the Aperio, for me, bested the Stax by quite a margin unless you are really enamored of the more airy, ethereal delivery of the 009S. The Aperio's bass in particular exceeded the 009S even on an Eksonic T2 (which I had previously thought was the best bass response out of an e-stat one could achieve). I consider the Bravura the gateway drug into the Aperio but the Aperio trumps the Bravura in all categories unless you are searching for an intimate vocal placement in the soundstage. I personally prefer the more open presentation of the Aperio. I'm biased against the Sus as it (like many Hifimans) gave me a headache after extended listening sessions but I admit it is a phenomenally well tuned and fast planar, but not well suited to me. That said, the Aperio is faster, has fuller bass, and at least equals the Sus in other timbral aspects.

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #821 of 861
I believe bass with sus highly depends on the source. There is more than enough with bliss for my needs and can get even more with volot, not to speak of monoblocks. As for listening fatigue, can listen for 8h straight without issues..

Curious to try Aperio, but from the sound of it, not sure if there are any substantial gains compared to sus on a good chain.

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #822 of 861
I believe bass with sus highly depends on the source. There is more than enough with bliss for my needs and can get even more with volot, not to speak of monoblocks. As for listening fatigue, can listen for 8h straight without issues..

Curious to try Aperio, but from the sound of it, not sure if there are any substantial gains compared to sus on a good chain.
Not to damage your wallet, but I too owned a Volot when I owned the Sus (and agree it was a great pairing) BUT I'd still contend the Aperio trumps. Yes, it is unfortunate that many Hifimans set off some frequency sensitivity unique to me as I generally like them otherwise.

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #823 of 861
Yeah, I am fine with Bliss, prefer it wet analog timbre to Volot, especially with Susvara. May sidegrade to Envy or ha-300 mk.2 later down the road. That’s the versatility of chain fine tuning I like so much about Sus.

Very curious how much better Aperio can get and if.

Sooty to hear about your sensitivity issues with hifiman

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #824 of 861
Yeah, I am fine with Bliss, prefer it wet analog timbre to Volot, especially with Susvara. May sidegrade to Envy or ha-300 mk.2 later down the road. That’s the versatility of chain fine tuning I like so much about Sus.

Very curious how much better Aperio can get and if.

Sooty to hear about your sensitivity issues with hifiman
Yes, Volot is very clean and a bit dry. If you like wet, Envy would be a good choice or perhaps a Stratus. I personally liked the Stratus more as it somehow was able to juxtapose wetter reverb / slower transients with very high detail. The Envy was muddy (at least with the (I believe) JJ 300Bs) in comparison. While not offering the same customization opportunities as a purely bespoke chain, unlike the Bravura, you can bypass the internal DAC of the Aperio and use a third party DAC into the inputs as an unadulterated (no ADC) feed. I run a feed from the T+A DAC200 into the Aperio on occasion.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #825 of 861
In his review of the Aperio, ConvinceMeAudio says that the Aperio could be improved by using a high quality external DAC. Well, I am reporting that he is right. I just got a Mola-Mola Tambaqui which some reviewers say is one of the very best DACs at any price. I connected it to the Aperio and, wow! The difference was immediate and dramatic. Naturalness, grip and control of bass, realism and overall better 3D and airiness. The Aperio was excellent to begin with but this DAC really makes a significant audio difference. I have been somewhat skeptical of spending a lot of money on DACs in the past, but, in this case, I have been convinced. I have only had the Tambaqui for a few days but I wanted to confirm that a DAC like the Tambaqui will push the Aperio to another level of excellence.
I agree with all the positive comments about Aperio. It's up in the rarified air of just a hand full of headphone systems. I am looking to pair my Lina DAC to Aperio. I have some set up questions.

1- Lina output set to 6V what is the proper gain to set Aperio input to. Low or High?
2- Lina volume control set to unlock on should the volume control in Roon be Fixed?
Any thoughts would be appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back