Warwick Acoustics APERIO and BRAVURA
Feb 23, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #826 of 861
I agree with all the positive comments about Aperio. It's up in the rarified air of just a hand full of headphone systems. I am looking to pair my Lina DAC to Aperio. I have some set up questions.

1- Lina output set to 6V what is the proper gain to set Aperio input to. Low or High?
2- Lina volume control set to unlock on should the volume control in Roon be Fixed?
Any thoughts would be appreciated
Low gain. Per manual (at least for RCA analog inputs) max Vin Vrms is 5V. On high it is 2.1. So, 6V is still a bit hot. Does Lina have 2V or 0.6V output options?

If you cannot lower below 6V I’d enable variable volume control on DAC and/or in Roon to set output slightly lower and then fine tune volume on the Aperio.

Feb 26, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #827 of 861
As a general update, I am still enjoying the Aperio.

Feb 26, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #828 of 861
So, just confirming for the masses— does it have the same distortion limitation as the Bravura?

Feb 26, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #829 of 861
So, just confirming for the masses— does it have the same distortion limitation as the Bravura?
Short answer - no (at least at my listening volumes). @draytonklammer sent me a list of bass heavy tracks that he’d heard distort on the Bravura to test on my Aperio before he pulled the trigger on his. None distorted for me but he should re-confirm his experiences as well.

Feb 26, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #830 of 861
Short answer - no (at least at my listening volumes). @draytonklammer sent me a list of bass heavy tracks that he’d heard distort on the Bravura to test on my Aperio before he pulled the trigger on his. None distorted for me but he should re-confirm his experiences as well.
I will also confirm that my Aperio has had zero issues with any limitations.

Feb 26, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #831 of 861
I will also confirm that my Aperio has had zero issues with any limitations.

Very cool. I didn’t recall it having issues when I tried it out, but I wasn’t extensively testing things at CJ either. Nice to know you’re not having any issues and you’re still enjoying it!

Mar 2, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #832 of 861
Very cool. I didn’t recall it having issues when I tried it out, but I wasn’t extensively testing things at CJ either. Nice to know you’re not having any issues and you’re still enjoying it!
Yep, I am pleased with how the Aperio handles bass.
Planar-like bass, with no excursion limits or clipping, at any of the volume levels I have tested.

General side note to all:
By now, usually, I am itching to buy something else, or "keep going," but the Aperio has sort of sealed the deal for now.
The next headphone I will probably try out is the Final Audio X8000. If it's as comfortable and light as claimed and sounds even marginally better than the D8000 (Pro/LE) series, it'll be a winner for me.
I thought the new RAAL headphones might interest me, but the average bass performance I have heard about so far makes them a no-go for me.

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #833 of 861
Hi, I am currently using HQPlayer --> TT2 --> LCD-5 and considering an upgrade. Options I have in mind are
1) Add the MScaler: MScaler --> TT2 --> LCD-5
2) Give-up TT2/LCD-5 and get a Bravura System

Some thoughts:
- I mainly listen to classical music and want good soundstage reconstruction, timbre and transparency, I like the feeling of 'being there' (which my current system can give me sometimes but rarely).
- I pretty strongly use EQ on the LCD-5 to increase bass and ret rid of that mid-peak of the LCD-5. It works well for me, can I do the same with Bravura?
- Currently I am not that guy who wants to have dozens of headphones and equipment. A single all-in-one would be great for me.
- In most reviews the Bravura System is praised a lot, but so are the LCD-5s :wink: CMA compared the sound quality of the Bravura System of that of a 20k chain on the LCD-5. If this is true, I should definitely go with Option 2.
- However, in this forum there are many many Bravura systems offered for sale... which makes me think it may not be that simple. The Bravura seems not to be for everyone.

Problem is that I cannot simply test a Bravura system. Currently there is one on the used market in my country but it is not very close. I would need to buy it to try it. Could it be worth it? I mean changing the whole system costs me some time and effort. If the change would not be that remarkable, I could also leave it as is for now.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #834 of 861
Hi, I am currently using HQPlayer --> TT2 --> LCD-5 and considering an upgrade. Options I have in mind are

Some thoughts:
- I mainly listen to classical music and want good soundstage reconstruction, timbre and transparency, I like the feeling of 'being there' (which my current system can give me sometimes but rarely).
- I pretty strongly use EQ on the LCD-5 to increase bass and ret rid of that mid-peak of the LCD-5. It works well for me, can I do the same with Bravura?
- Currently I am not that guy who wants to have dozens of headphones and equipment. A single all-in-one would be great for me.
- In most reviews the Bravura System is praised a lot, but so are the LCD-5s :wink: CMA compared the sound quality of the Bravura System of that of a 20k chain on the LCD-5. If this is true, I should definitely go with Option 2.
- However, in this forum there are many many Bravura systems offered for sale... which makes me think it may not be that simple. The Bravura seems not to be for everyone.

Problem is that I cannot simply test a Bravura system. Currently there is one on the used market in my country but it is not very close. I would need to buy it to try it. Could it be worth it? I mean changing the whole system costs me some time and effort. If the change would not be that remarkable, I could also leave it as is for now.

Any thoughts?
I’ve had the Bravura (system) since December 2023. I have no experience with the Audeze headphones (so obviously cannot make any meaningful comparison to the LCD5).

I do have a couple of set-ups / headphones – for example Violectric V550 + Feliks Euforia + audio-gd Master 19 / I favour (more) R-2R DAC solutions (NOS too) – with Soekris 1421 / audio-gd R1 and MHTD Pagoda. Headphones I have and love are (for example) HE1000v2 / Fostex TH900 / AKG 812 / Grado GS1000e / Beyerdynamic DT880 (1980s model) – so nothing major – but I enjoy them all for different reasons on the different set-ups.

I heard the Bravura at last year’s Munich High-End and was immediately impressed – but a short experience at a CanJam isn’t enough of course. Then I had the luck of a small 3 person session at my home – where IO could better ‘taste’ the Bravura qualities – in peace and with a more extensive playlist.

That experience sealed the deal for me. I had to sell a couple of items and save up a little – and took the plunge.

In the last 3 months I have been nothing less than amazed by the performance of Bravura. In every way. It is always like the best of all the best experiences I enjoy with the audio stuff I mentioned.

I listen to wide range of music – but this does include classical music (and I mean really listening to specific composers (contemporary and the long history of Chamber music) – and I find myself having to pull myself away – because it is always an immersive, deeply pleasurable experience. No EQ, no cable changing, earpad rolling – no curiosity how a different DAC could be etc. I love the tuning – its clarity, its depths, musicality, neutrality too without anything too clinical. Timbre, imaging, upper-end and lower-end presentation are both gorgeous. I spent a few hours of listening preparation for a Nils Frahm concert (I saw him perform in Munich on Monday) – and these were great hours of recorded music listening. Classical music and the Bravura system are a match made in a sonic oasis.

I could go on for ages about how and how and why I rate the Bravura system so highly. I believe they simply got everything right.

Unless you are very much into very deep / sub-bass pieces – and even on that kind of music the Bravura handles the vast majority of pieces I throw it – unless this is your main listening music – the Bravura is easily a good thing for you.

You mention the word ‘remarkable’ – and for me, I find the performance of the Bravura remarkable. It isn’t flashy or bombastic – it is refined, subtle, eminently confident in what it does.

I experience no unpleasant peaks and as far as a wish / need to increase bass (and I mean here in terms of classical music) – no – I experience more than enough bass presentation.

The Bravura will be part of my music listening journey for as far as I can see into the future.

Good luck. Of course – there is always a certain risk involved.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #835 of 861
I

Some thoughts:

Any thoughts?
I am of the opinion that a bravura system is better then most other setup, however it depends on your listening level. Especially if you listen to high dynamic tracks like classical music.

It has great soundstage, timbre and transparency. In fact I'll rate it closest to have a realistic listening experience. But it doesn't go very loud. The issue is not about listening loud but if your music has sudden peak in dynamic range and you are the type that listen to music in the above average volume, it may peak and distort.

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #838 of 861
not at the moment next big release as Martin from Warwick acoustics told me is an electrostatic IEM.
Adding to this:
I believe their next step would be a closed back, from what I've heard, in terms of headphones.

It sounds like the Aperio will remain on top for a bit.

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #839 of 861
Mar 10, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #840 of 861

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back