What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Apr 19, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #135,692 of 136,160
Lou Reed_New York.jpgJoe Henry.Tiny Voices.jpg
Modest Mouse_We Were Dead.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #135,693 of 136,160
@sygnus21 ... more lady bass - Kim Clarke killing it on this one ... (bought the vinyl when I was 16 years old 🤪)

Right now ...

What a pity that countless of his and other Indian, Pakistani and Afghani maestros' stellar performances from back in the day haven't been recorded at all or barely survived on some lousy cassette tapes before they finally have been converted to digital formats (and then many of them only to 128kbit mp3).

@sygnus21 ... more lady bass - Kim Clarke killing it on this one ... (bought the vinyl when I was 16 years old 🤪)

Right now ...

Every. time I see Rahsaan Roland Kirk playing three wind instruments, my mind is bllown!😳😎

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #135,694 of 136,160
I was up til 4:00am listening repeatedly to the "Dead's Mar's Hotel, Angel Share"2024
- having my mind blown by the sound quality and beauty of these remasters/remixes. Simply by far the best I've ever heard The Dead, a band I've seen live more than any other.
Here, even Donna's voice is properly modulated and mixed to perfection. A major pet peeve of many live shows was being aurally assaulted consistently by Donna's singing or actually screaming ruining the vibe rather than adding anything positive. :rolling_eyes: Not so here :thumbsup:
I highly recommend streaming this album - I utilize Qobuz and I would suggest signing up for a free trial for this Album alone although I'm sure the other major streaming services have to have this recently released Album. OMG Good!

BTW, I won't repost the YouTube version of this album, while it is fairly good for getting an idea of our music, much better than I remember YouTube music video's sounding back in 2007 for instance.

YouTube cannot be compared only contrasted with streaming services, using the same end point gear here. IME&O.
Also, on my system streaming Qobuz Sound Quality is indistinguishable from CD's eg. The Beatles Red & Blue remasters. JFY Information :thumbsup:

1971/2022 (Life House Remaster & Remixes) 10 Discs, 9:48 hours

Welp - There goes a day well spent :sunglasses:
And a special thanks for bringing up the Lifehouse R&R discs!👍😎

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #135,695 of 136,160
Joe Bonamassa - Blues Deluxe.png
The first album that really got me into the blues, via the expert @whirlwind.
This is the 20-yr remastered version, released in 2023 in FLAC 24-bit 5.1
format, the SQ is exceptional. It's a bit unusual for Joe; most of the songs
are covers, but he was really just fooling around in the studio anyway.
The rhythm section is Eric Czar bass and Kenny Kramme drums.
Song composed by B.B. King.

Song composed by Buddy Guy.

Song composed by Robert Johnson.

Joe Bonamassa - Beth Hart - Live in Amsterdam.png
A live show to support Joe & Beth's studio album "Seesaw." A large backing
cast including horns, the rhythm section is Carmine Rojas bass and Anton
Fig drums. This song was composed by Randy Weeks for Lucinda Williams.

The sexy voice of Beth Hart. Song composed by Peter Hoppe.

Oh hell yeah. Song originally performed by Etta James.

From 2003 and 2014. HD800 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> :)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #135,696 of 136,160
Rotel CD Player > Pontus DAC > Artemis HPA > HD800S ...

Bitches-Brew.jpg
No less than 3 years ago, I was still calling Bitches Brew "acid music for headbangers and trippers" as it was an album I simply couldn't get into, despite having it for over 15 years. Now, I think it's one of the greatest albums I've ever heard of all time. It was one of those "oh, wow" moments once I finally listened to it; and now I simply can't stop playing it. And why it's my clear number one Miles Davis album of all time. Period. Truth be told, I wasn't even really a Miles Davis fan. Now I have 40 of his albums (CDs).

I just love how the pieces are composed and the way the band comes together the create the masterpiece that is Bitches Brew. Its literally one of those albums that once you put on, you can't stop listening to until the last track has played. And then you find yourself wanting to hear it again. Absolutely love this album.

And again, from someone who hated the album and couldn't get past the first 5 minutes before pulling it from the CD player and tossing it aside. Silly me.
'Acid music for headbangers and trippers'? That's a great description that applies to me, and exactly why I like this era of Miles Davis and not much else when it comes to 'jazz' - Miles just called it 'music', and damned fine music it is.

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #135,697 of 136,160
I was up til 4:00am listening repeatedly to the "Dead's Mar's Hotel, Angel Share"2024
- having my mind blown by the sound quality and beauty of these remasters/remixes. Simply by far the best I've ever heard The Dead, a band I've seen live more than any other.
Here, even Donna's voice is properly modulated and mixed to perfection. A major pet peeve of many live shows was being aurally assaulted consistently by Donna's singing or actually screaming ruining the vibe rather than adding anything positive. :rolling_eyes: Not so here :thumbsup:
I highly recommend streaming this album - I utilize Qobuz and I would suggest signing up for a free trial for this Album alone although I'm sure the other major streaming services have to have this recently released Album. OMG Good!
grateful-dead-from-the-mars-hotel-angels-share-1480x832.jpg
BTW, I won't repost the YouTube version of this album, while it is fairly good for getting an idea of our music, much better than I remember YouTube music video's sounding back in 2007 for instance.

YouTube cannot be compared only contrasted with streaming services, using the same end point gear here. IME&O.
Also, on my system streaming Qobuz Sound Quality is indistinguishable from CD's eg. The Beatles Red & Blue remasters. JFY Information :thumbsup:

1971/2022 (Life House Remaster & Remixes) 10 Discs, 9:48 hours

Welp - There goes a day well spent :sunglasses:
71qsVPv9MRL._SL1200_.jpg
I'd guess that in those Folsom Street studios, Donna could hear herself on the monitors and sang well; she's said that one of the problems causing that 'caterwauling' on things like 'Playin In the Band' was because she couldn't hear herself. I wish I'd been that lucky; I always crank the volume down on those recordings when she's about to come in! :darthsmile: Maybe that's the case....

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #135,699 of 136,160
This is getting a lot of love over in Jason Stoddard's thread, so I thought that I'd give it a go. It's a different and interesting side of Bowie.
IMG_0059.PNG
A brilliant album for David to leave us with....

Apr 19, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #135,700 of 136,160
I'd guess that in those Folsom Street studios, Donna could hear herself on the monitors and sang well; she's said that one of the problems causing that 'caterwauling' on things like 'Playin In the Band' was because she couldn't hear herself. I wish I'd been that lucky; I always crank the volume down on those recordings when she's about to come in! :darthsmile: Maybe that's the case....
Hey ya Larry, a yeah, maybe that's the case :rolling_eyes: lol

At least 4 live shows I remember being taken out of my low dose dancin' trance (like I liked It then :wink:) and needing to speak my displeasure to agreeable random listeners :rolling_eyes: bummer, almost :slight_smile:.
Yeah, I've also listened to her excuse in interviews and in print.
I dunno, why wasn't she told by anyone to back it off by the second or third time Live?
I rather think she was trippin out and winging it which I understand being improvision - but my word, every (at least 4) show(s)?

In any event, I just can't wait to possess this 2024 June release of Mars Hotel 3CD Remaster, Remixes and outtakes - Good time to be alive, quite literally listening to the dead... ( too soon?) LOL
Qobuz has the 2024 Mars Hotel "Wave That Flag" precursor to become "U.S. Blues" teaser, and it sounds phenomenal !

While I'm stretching my usual thread posting rule, I would like to share this Dead podcast series:

Good Ol' Grateful Deadcast: From the Mars Hotel 50: China Doll​

Happy listening all~

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #135,703 of 136,160
Hey ya Larry, a yeah, maybe that's the case :rolling_eyes: lol

At least 4 live shows I remember being taken out of my low dose dancin' trance (like I liked It then :wink:) and needing to speak my displeasure to agreeable random listeners :rolling_eyes: bummer, almost :slight_smile:.
Yeah, I've also listened to her excuse in interviews and in print.
I dunno, why wasn't she told by anyone to back it off by the second or third time Live?
I rather think she was trippin out and winging it which I understand being improvision - but my word, every (at least 4) show(s)?

In any event, I just can't wait to possess this 2024 June release of Mars Hotel 3CD Remaster, Remixes and outtakes - Good time to be alive, quite literally listening to the dead... ( too soon?) LOL
Qobuz has the 2024 Mars Hotel "Wave That Flag" precursor to become "U.S. Blues" teaser, and it sounds phenomenal !

While I'm stretching my usual thread posting rule, I would like to share this Dead podcast series:

Good Ol' Grateful Deadcast: From the Mars Hotel 50: China Doll​

Happy listening all~

I dunno about trippin' out - from what I understand, Donna was more into drink than more illicit drugs. I may be misremembering, but when they went on tour, she's apparently the one who did the wild and crazy rock star on tour stuff with smashing up hotel rooms and such.... But the rest of the band was likely trippin' out and figured just let her go with it; they probably couldn't hear it as well through the monitors as we could through the PA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back