What is a Headphonus Supremus?
Jan 31, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #46 of 57
I will never be a Headphoneus Supremus because of the "Contributor X" title under my name.
This is perfect for me because I wouldn't want anyone thinking that I know what I'm talking about.
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #47 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will never be a Headphoneus Supremus because of the "Contributor X" title under my name.
This is perfect for me because I wouldn't want anyone thinking that I know what I'm talking about.
tongue.gif

Don't have to worry about that.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #48 of 57
Quote:

tongue.gif

It expires if you don't contribute, no?

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #49 of 57
Quote:

Not true, you just have to ask a mod to do it. Like you, I never requested it and then one day something else appeared where 100+ used to be...

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #50 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't have to worry about that.
very_evil_smiley.gif

It's very liberating knowing that I don't have to be right because I have no one to impress, some people here should try it sometime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It expires if you don't contribute, no?

I haven't contributed in a long time and it's still there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not true, you just have to ask a mod to do it. Like you, I never requested it and then one day something else appeared where 100+ used to be...

Yours is different because it's a custom title, I'm stuck with the 100+ ...hopefully someday it'll say something like: "NOT an audiofile"
cool.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #51 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by erlik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They could probably create a 15000+ title, but since jahn is the only one able to post that much it's easier to just call it jahn
tongue.gif

Maybe even a Jahnnabe? I mean how many people could possibly do 15000+ posts that happen to be valid and contributing to a discussion (short of Jahn of course
tongue.gif
)?

Feb 2, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #52 of 57
Quote:

It's very liberating knowing that I don't have to be right because I have no one to impress, some people here should try it sometime.

I haven't contributed in a long time and it's still there.

Yours is different because it's a custom title, I'm stuck with the 100+ ...hopefully someday it'll say something like: "NOT an audiofile"
cool.gif

I am wondering if it is possible to take some cues from popular moives like Star Wars. Maybe this forum/organization needs a "Headphone Council" that determines and acknowledges expertise. There is a lot of very knowledgeable people here who submit very helpful reviews.

Are you ready to become a "Jedi" or a "Darth"?

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #53 of 57
  Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing that worries me about the titles are those users who are posting what I can only believe are junk or completetly offtopic irrelevant posts , just to push their count up. I mean there are people who have been members for a month with like 500 posts. Some of those people do have stuff to contribute, but it bugs me to see people posting on items they dont have, or have no experience of.

there's my rant for the day. thanks for listening
smily_headphones1.gif

This has been brought up several times in the past. To be frank though, the maximum post title at 1500 posts is rather low; you hit member after 100. Look at places like Anandtech that have title levels that go up to 10,000 (I think lifer is 10,000).

Used search to find this thread. Getting closer to finding a list of the current levels. Yes, I'm resurrecting a 7-year-old thread in the process, but doesn't that bring back good memories? LOL

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #54 of 57
The staff here is bribable.
I've payed in order to avoid that annoying "headphoneus supremus" title, but now I'm called a friggin "contributor".
Not that much better if you ask me.
blink.gif

The most honorable title you can get here is the "banned" title, but that's really expensive and also involves lots of attempts, especially if you are craving for a permanent ban.

+1

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #55 of 57
Keep searching the Members Lounge

We went through the different labels 2-3 years back......

http://www.head-fi.org/a/membership-levels-badges-and-custom-titles

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #56 of 57

Used search to find this thread. Getting closer to finding a list of the current levels. Yes, I'm resurrecting a 7-year-old thread in the process, but doesn't that bring back good memories? LOL

Perhaps "Chief Thread Necromancer" could be a title option!

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #57 of 57
And the balance of that is that some newer members like myself (who just went on a 24 hour posting spree to get myself past 50 posts so I could trade in the sale forums again) have been here less than five months but have been an audiophile listening to all manner of high (and not so high) end audio for the last twenty years. Some 'newer' members have more experience listening than posting (I think its partly my generation to some degree - if the sale forum 50 posts rule hadn't come along I probably would have taken almost a year to get to 50 posts!). Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The titles are all helpful (though not foolproof. A few members have gone on notable posting sprees that far exceed their experience) in letting newer members know how experienced the advice is that they are reveiving. A newer member is likely to have heard less and give less valuable opinions, whereas somebody like Jahn (top poster ever) or another of the old timers here is likely to give a view based on more experience with gear.
amen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back