Who has an iriver H1xx and an dac or amp that shows the bitrate of the optical SPDIF input?
Jan 7, 2010 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ElEsido

Head-Fier
Hi!

Does anyone have the mentioned items and would be so kind to to check what bitrate the H1xx delivers over optical when a high-res file is played?

It nas been claimed over here that rockbox on an iriver H120 can output a 20bit optical signal. Could anyone verify that?

Some high-res files can be legally downloaded here:
High Resolution Music DOWNLOAD services.
There is no need to register, use the username HD and the password 2L.

Cheers!
ElEsido

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 17
To the best of my knowledge the iRiver can only output 16/44 on the optical regardless of RockBox or native bios. Higher res files gets downsampled and rather crudely to.

Jan 7, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 17
only 16/48, dont think its 44.1 nc8000. I might be wrong, but that would be a strange thing for the dac to do, 48 is much more likely

Jan 7, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
only 16/48, dont think its 44.1 nc8000. I might be wrong, but that would be a strange thing for the dac to do, 48 is much more likely

Yes you are naturally correct, I was for a moment thinking cd.

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 17
abyrvalg, thanks a lot for finding out! How did you mod your iriver? Would you mind posting some pics here or on misticriver.net?

qusp, actually the rockbox player engine processes things in 32bit and downsamples everything to 44.1 before sending it to the player's internal dac chip. The speculation was if it's also being downsampled when the spdif out is used.

nc8000, I remember there was a thread in the rockbox forums about a 24/06 version in which some feathers were ruffled and some misunderstandings got somepeople feel insulted. However I believe the thread was very informative from a technical point of view. I still hope that a 24/96 engine for rockbox will be written and I've asked what the developers think about sponsoring features (aka bounties for features). They were hesitating but it should be possible, however the devs with the most technical knowledge prefer to work on what they like and would ask for usual rates when programming on request. Their suggestion was that I find someone who can code and is willing to spend some time on this, so I keep on asking friends if they wanted to contribute some code. Unfortunately I aven't found an audiophile programmer with a bit of free time yet.

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElEsido /img/forum/go_quote.gif
abyrvalg, thanks a lot for finding out! How did you mod your iriver? Would you mind posting some pics here or on misticriver.net?

Well, I removed the LED and used one of the line out connectors (tip connector to be precise) to output SPDIF. It required some soldering, but nothing serious. Naturally, line out doesn't work any longer, but it sucked anyway. As well, you can not use optical anymore. However, the result is well worth it - coax spdic is superior to toslink and it can be clearly heard even with portable DAC. Not dramatic improvement, but worth trying.

Dang. I just thought that I could use a second socket - line\optical input, for SPDIF mod. This way I would keep both toslink and line out, AND add coax. Well, silly me... Anyway, for me, it works great, and I don't use line out anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

I will try to make some pics later this week and post'em.

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 17
That's a gread modding project! Looking forward for some pictures!

Quote:

Originally Posted by abyrvalg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
coax spdic is superior to toslink and it can be clearly heard even with portable DAC.

Dang, I've ordered another 60$ optial cable from sysconcept a couple of days ago.

Quote:

keep both toslink and line out, AND add coax

Now THAT would be something!

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

I will mod it once more, this time input socket, and make pics so people will have a "proper" mod
smily_headphones1.gif
It may be not really 100% proper, it does not use any output transformers, caps etc, but it works great nevertheless
smily_headphones1.gif

I would be very interested in coax modding one of my iHP-120.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #11 of 17
i just went to ibasso D10 thread, and they talked about D10 mod, and then come here, and here also talking about mod

i think the legend of D10+iriver ihp100 combo will become crazier and crazier

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #12 of 17
ok
frown.gif
well thats a bit stoopid that it downsamples to 44.1, its bound to be a worse conversion than 48; oh well. yeah hopefully the programmers get it done at some point. because it is the only thing stopping us from having 96khz out to D10. is it done when sending i2s I wonder? I would say so if its on software. yeah i'm keen to see these pics of coax mod as well, I was planning on something similar myself; either this or modding both the iriver and D10 for I2s transfer. since its a very short distance i2s should be very effective

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hopefully the programmers get it done at some point. because it is the only thing stopping us from having 96khz out to D10.

There has been quite some talking in various threads of the rockbox forum and it doesn't look as if the usual programmers there thought of is as a high priority. I believe the fastest way to get 24/96 on rockbox is for the audiophiles (us and maybe people from other forums) to take it in their own hands. Either convince a programmer to contribute some code or to pay someone to do it.

I've been asking around trying to find someone who would be interested in coding, but with no success so far. Thought about talking to a tech school to see if they would make it a summer project or a student's bachelor/master work. Would also be happy to contribute some $ if someeone wanted to get paied for it (in the range of a good donation, but I couldn't pay a substantial amount of what a programmer would charge).

I'll start a thread specifically on that topic...

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #14 of 17
Hi all

A rockbox developper suspects that the 16/44 limitation that abyrvalg found out about is a hardware limitation of the H1xx and he is of the opinion that rockbox should be able to output 20bit (see this thread).

Can anyone shed some light on whether the h100 series is capable of outputting a signal higher that 16/44 if the firmware supports it?

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElEsido /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all

A rockbox developper suspects that the 16/44 limitation that abyrvalg found out about is a hardware limitation of the H1xx and he is of the opinion that rockbox should be able to output 20bit (see this thread).

Can anyone shed some light on whether the h100 series is capable of outputting a signal higher that 16/44 if the firmware supports it?

Is that for the native or iRiver firmware?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back