Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 9, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #37,816 of 42,298
  For what it's worth, I've never gotten screwed on a tube deal on ebay. Most tube sellers have sold many, many tubes on ebay, and are much cheaper than other places. It is a little bit of a hassle, but I doubt it actually takes any more time than contacting someone and asking about their stock.

That's good news.  I'll start to check them out. 

May 9, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #37,817 of 42,298

I agree with that statement. The worst 6F type I heard was the Sylvania 6F8G and that was better than the best 6SN7 type I heard.
I've also got a RCA 6F8G with the same plates as the 6SN7 type and it sounds way ahead.
TSRP 6SN7 is suppose to be superb but goes for a fortune ($600-$800 a set). I use the TSRP 6C8G and it is suppose to have the same sound for a fraction of the price for a 6SN7 type.

I haven't read any comments on the contemporary 6SN7 made by Sophia Electric or PSVANE TIIs.  What are the reps on those?

May 9, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #37,818 of 42,298

I haven't read any comments on the contemporary 6SN7 made by Sophia Electric or PSVANE TIIs.  What are the reps on those?

I quite like them, but a lot of decent original 6SN7's can still be found. I picked up some NOS Tong-Sol GTB Tall Boy for $35, RCA 6SN7GTB Parallel Black Plate for $75, RCA 6SN7GT Grey Glass for $40 and KEN-RAD JAN-CKR-6SN7GT VT-231 Black Glass Military for $100 a few weeks ago.

May 9, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #37,819 of 42,298

The PSVane 181 Treasure 2s are.... awful.  I have a pair-- I pull them out every once in a while to see if they're still awful, and they're awful.

There is a crunchiness to them that is difficult to listen to.  If you're that curious, I'll sell you mine.  I have 10 hours on them, at most.

I had someone tell me once that if I stick with them, after 300 hours they begin to clean up.  Sorry, if I have to listen to 300 hours of garbage to get to something that's listenable-- you've made a bad tube.

May 9, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #37,820 of 42,298

The PSVane 181 Treasure 2s are.... awful.  I have a pair-- I pull them out every once in a while to see if they're still awful, and they're awful.

There is a crunchiness to them that is difficult to listen to.  If you're that curious, I'll sell you mine.  I have 10 hours on them, at most.

I had someone tell me once that if I stick with them, after 300 hours they begin to clean up.  Sorry, if I have to listen to 300 hours of garbage to get to something that's listenable-- you've made a bad tube.

LOL, no thanks.  I just got a pair of Mullard rectifiers NOS GZ34 fat base.  They sound significantly more muddy in the mid to highs after several hours of listening.  I wanted to return them but the dealer says to put 48+ hours on them and they will substantially improve.  Can this be true?

May 9, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #37,821 of 42,298

LOL, no thanks.  I just got a pair of Mullard rectifiers NOS GZ34 fat base.  They sound significantly more muddy in the mid to highs after several hours of listening.  I wanted to return them but the dealer says to put 48+ hours on them and they will substantially improve.  Can this be true?

I've just been listening to a Mullard GZ34 metal base over the weekend that has a lot more than 48+ hours on them.
I agree with your muddy statement.

I was gonna keep quiet as it will upset some members but I have to say the Mullard GZ34 is very highly over rated. What. Where is the treble?
confused.gif
Just my opinion but the Brimar 5Z4GY is better.

I'm getting things together for a Rectifier shootout. As it stands now here is my favorites that I have listened to (first to last).
TAK274B, Brimar 5Z4GY, Mullard GZ32, Mullard GZ30, Fivre 5R4, Mullard GZ34.

May 9, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #37,822 of 42,298
I've just been listening to a Mullard GZ34 metal base over the weekend that has a lot more than 48+ hours on them.

I was gonna keep quiet as it will upset some members but I have to say the Mullard GZ34 is very highly over rated. What. Where is the treble? :confused: Just my opinion but the Brimar 5Z4GY is better.

I'm getting things together for a Rectifier shootout. As it stands now here is my favorites that I have listened to (first to last).

The metal gz34 is known to have a transparent midrange which I think is true. It is definitely not technically superior to the transparency and soundstage of the we274. When I had a wa22 it had a really nice transparent holographic midrange I'm surprised to hear it as muddy. I suggest the we422a as something approaching the 274 signature.

May 9, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #37,823 of 42,298
The metal gz34 is known to have a transparent midrange which I think is true. It is definitely not technically superior to the transparency and soundstage of the we274. When I had a wa22 it had a really nice transparent holographic midrange I'm surprised to hear it as muddy. I suggest the we422a as something approaching the 274 signature.

Muddy might be a bit harsh. It certainly has the most bass. I liked the mid-range but to my ears the treble was completely rolled off. Which could make it sound muddy.

I have test tracks that I listen for treble detail. This was the first rectifier that I couldn't hear the treble detail at all. Most others it is there but it is how that detail is treated.
I had to listen to the brightest music I have to even tolerate the tube. Even then the bright music sounded dull. Nice but dull.

Not really what you want from a rectifier. I would go for something transparent and dynamic then tweak to your preferred sound signature using power or drive tubes.

May 9, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #37,824 of 42,298
The biggest "problem" with the metal base gz34 is that they test "as new" even when they have been used/abused. I really like mine and put it into the top 5 rectifiers I have. I did a shoot-out of the rectifiers I own on the Woo tube rolling thread, and these were my favorites in order. No surprises here. Fairly similar to the Dubstep rectifier tube rolling thread.
WE24A > Cossor Fat Bottle 53KU = Brimar U52 > Metal Base GZ34 > Valvo/Philips GZ34.

Trying to get NOS or low hours is key. For this reason, a new buyer might be well advised to save the cash and go for the Tak.

I also tried out the Brimar 5Z4GY. Nice tube and great value for the money.

May 9, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #37,825 of 42,298
  The biggest "problem" with the metal base gz34 is that they test "as new" even when they have been used/abused. I really like mine and put it into the top 5 rectifiers I have. I did a shoot-out of the rectifiers I own on the Woo tube rolling thread, and these were my favorites in order. No surprises here. Fairly similar to the Dubstep rectifier tube rolling thread.
WE24A > Cossor Fat Bottle 53KU = Brimar U52 > Metal Base GZ34 > Valvo/Philips GZ34.

Trying to get NOS or low hours is key. For this reason, a new buyer might be well advised to save the cash and go for the Tak.

Good shootout. I wish you were just down the road so I could give ya the TAK to try. It would be great to see where it would sit in the list.

May 9, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #37,826 of 42,298

I was gonna keep quiet as it will upset some members but I have to say the Mullard GZ34 is very highly over rated. What. Where is the treble?
confused.gif
Just my opinion but the Brimar 5Z4GY is better.

To be clear, my pair is not the metal base but the black plastic base.  I'm going to run it total for at least 48 hours for the next 2 weeks and then make a decision.  I have 30 days to return with a restock fee but these cost $500/pair.  These sound less optimal than the stock PSVANE and new EML 5U4G out of the box which sound fine to me.  FWIW, I'm listening to Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, guitar licks in judging detail and spacing of the treble.

May 9, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #37,827 of 42,298

For the WA22 amp, I think I agree except I think the metal gz34 edges out the u52 a little bit. 53ku has better bass response iirc than u52.

May 9, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #37,828 of 42,298
I have listened to the Metal Base GZ34 and my impressions were that it was an overrated tube as well.  To me the tube sounded like it lacked emotion unlike the GZ32.  The Bass on this tube is very good, but the rest did sound slightly muddy in comparison to the top tiers.  The best tube I have heard is the TAK274b and then the WE422a in second. Maybe, Metal base GZ34 is not suited for the WA22 and definitely not worth what it sells for.   

May 9, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #37,829 of 42,298
  I have listened to the Metal Base GZ34 and my impressions were that it was an overrated tube as well.  To me the tube sounded like it lacked emotion unlike the GZ32.  The Bass on this tube is very good, but the rest did sound slightly muddy in comparison to the top tiers.  The best tube I have heard is the TAK274b and then the WE422a in second. Maybe, Metal base GZ34 is not suited for the WA22 and definitely not worth what it sells for.   

I think Contrails has a good point here.  A lot depends on what amp is being used. 

For instance, the famed Brimar, is a good price for a NOS tube and WA22 users really like it, but for me in 6SE it is pretty much MEH.  I can make it sound good, but only with specific drivers and cans.  On the other hand, I have numerous rectifiers not dependent on a specific combo to excel.

So it is very probable to me that the metal base GZ34 and or variations, in specific amps may be outstanding.  The fat base Mullard GZ34 take 6SE to a very high level.

May 9, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #37,830 of 42,298

I think Contrails has a good point here.  A lot depends on what amp is being used. 

For instance, the famed Brimar, is a good price for a NOS tube and WA22 users really like it, but for me in 6SE it is pretty much MEH.  I can make it sound good, but only with specific drivers and cans.  On the other hand, I have numerous rectifiers not dependent on a specific combo to excel.

So it is very probable to me that the metal base GZ34 and or variations, in specific amps may be outstanding.  The fat base Mullard GZ34 take 6SE to a very high level.

We need to start developing a database on what works in particular amps.

I agree about amp snergy. I couldn't believe that this tube was not sounding great by the reviews it has. Some reviews by members I respect. So it must be the amp not the tube.

GZ34 metal base is not a fun tube in the WA22. Very flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back