Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Feb 18, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #2,581 of 2,699
I have at least 10-15 pairs of 6SN7 from various manufactures, but i like the Melt 1578s the most. To my ears they are super clear, clean and have the depth of resolution combined the power of TS 5998 and the warm of Cossor 53KU make the WA22 sounds so nature and very dynamic. Yes, they are quite expensive but I like them so much that i bought 1 extra pair for reserve.
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like they are awesome in that setup, and I can totally understand stocking up. It’s not like they’re going to make more of them, so that price is not going down… There is just nothing like that feeling when the synergy links up and it sounds perfect to your ears... I guess the other big question is whether the Tungsten lives up to the hype? Have you heard a Caldera (I have not, but I am assuming that’s going to be the closest thing sound-wise to the Tungsten) - I don’t know much at all about planars, but the Tungsten is incredibly interesting to me, and I think I’m going to end up having to grab one to see what the hype is about. It’s not like it would be hard to resell if it doesn’t live up for some reason. Anyway, curious as to how you liked it!

Feb 19, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #2,582 of 2,699
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like they are awesome in that setup, and I can totally understand stocking up. It’s not like they’re going to make more of them, so that price is not going down… There is just nothing like that feeling when the synergy links up and it sounds perfect to your ears... I guess the other big question is whether the Tungsten lives up to the hype? Have you heard a Caldera (I have not, but I am assuming that’s going to be the closest thing sound-wise to the Tungsten) - I don’t know much at all about planars, but the Tungsten is incredibly interesting to me, and I think I’m going to end up having to grab one to see what the hype is about. It’s not like it would be hard to resell if it doesn’t live up for some reason. Anyway, curious as to how you liked it!
Yes, i did listen to both Caldera and Tungsten DS yesterday, But not side by side, they are very similar in sound. The Caldera a bit warmer more intimate and both have very good base, Tungsten is more open. There were so many gear yesterday and i did not listen for long on both of them so i can not give you more details.

The Caldera has a better build, but at $4000.00. I would take the Tungsten DS without hesitation. They are both very good.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 1:09 AM Post #2,583 of 2,699
Yes, i did listen to both Caldera and Tungsten DS yesterday, But not side by side, they are very similar in sound. The Caldera a bit warmer more intimate and both have very good base, Tungsten is more open. There were so many gear yesterday and i did not listen for long on both of them so i can not give you more details.

The Caldera has a better build, but at $4000.00. I would take the Tungsten DS without hesitation. They are both very good.
Thanks so much! Sounds like exactly what I would expect. Appreciate the insight :)

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #2,584 of 2,699
SORRY man, you missed the meet. So many new gear yesterday for you to audit.
Thanks for the feedback and you impressions of the Tungsten. Good to know that the WA22 can be turned up to 2 O'clock. I know from our previous meets, you listen a lot louder than I do, so I can conclude that the volume on my WA22 would be at Noon or so, with the Tungsten.

Now- Should I be happy with my headphones I currently own or do I *need* to look into things like the Susvara & Tungsten DS. I probably need to cool my jets for a while and really enjoy what I've got. It's just that this site fuels the excitement for new gear and I'm always curious if stuff is "better" than what I've got. Honestly, the Abyss 1266 I just got are amazing. Not sure what else I'd be looking for, beyond its awesome presentation.

I'm really sorry to have missed this weekend's meet, as I was out of town. The snow wasn't enough to cancel my travel plans. It looks like the best meet yet. I hope we can do it again, closer to the summer months. I'll hope to help you plan the next one. I really wanted to check out the above headphones, plus the new LTA DAC (which of course, I don't "need" either, LOL).

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #2,585 of 2,699
Thanks for the feedback and you impressions of the Tungsten. Good to know that the WA22 can be turned up to 2 O'clock. I know from our previous meets, you listen a lot louder than I do, so I can conclude that the volume on my WA22 would be at Noon or so, with the Tungsten.

Now- Should I be happy with my headphones I currently own or do I *need* to look into things like the Susvara & Tungsten DS. I probably need to cool my jets for a while and really enjoy what I've got. It's just that this site fuels the excitement for new gear and I'm always curious if stuff is "better" than what I've got. Honestly, the Abyss 1266 I just got are amazing. Not sure what else I'd be looking for, beyond its awesome presentation.

I'm really sorry to have missed this weekend's meet, as I was out of town. The snow wasn't enough to cancel my travel plans. It looks like the best meet yet. I hope we can do it again, closer to the summer months. I'll hope to help you plan the next one. I really wanted to check out the above headphones, plus the new LTA DAC (which of course, I don't "need" either, LOL).
You should be content with your current headphones, it is expensive hobby. Go to couple meets and see what you like, local meets are the best because you can take your time and the environment much more quieter than CanJam for audition.

The new LTA DAC is nice, i was thinking trade in my MZ3 for it. But after my audition i changed my mind, just too solft and not as dynamic as my current Merason DAC1. Did you see the picture of the AmpsandSound Red October, a guy from MD dragged it in and it weights 70lbs without the Pelican case.

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #2,586 of 2,699
You should be content with your current headphones, it is expensive hobby. Go to couple meets and see what you like, local meets are the best because you can take your time and the environment much more quieter than CanJam for audition.

The new LTA DAC is nice, i was thinking trade in my MZ3 for it. But after my audition i changed my mind, just too solft and not as dynamic as my current Merason DAC1. Did you see the picture of the AmpsandSound Red October, a guy from MD dragged it in and it weights 70lbs without the Pelican case.
The red October has been on my radar for a little while, did you get a chance to demo it?

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #2,587 of 2,699
The red October has been on my radar for a little while, did you get a chance to demo it?
Yes i did, it has the wildest sound stage of any amps that i have audited and ton of power. May be too much power for my ZMF VC, but properly great with speakers.

PXL_20240217_200313691.jpg

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #2,588 of 2,699
Yes i did, it has the wildest sound stage of any amps that i have audited and ton of power. May be too much power for my ZMF VC, but properly great with speakers.

PXL_20240217_200313691.jpg
I almost started with a Kenzie, but when I went to buy it, the price jumped by a significant amount, and I didn’t see a proper justification for it, so started looking at others. Then ended up with the WA22

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #2,590 of 2,699
WA22 is a great amp. You can buy 4 1/2 WA22 amps = 1 Red October.
True! I’m a sucker for industrial design, and think the red October looks great. I heard it sounds wonderful too. I don’t regret the WA22 in the slightest, in fact, I’m making a list of tubes I want to pick up for it lol

Feb 25, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #2,591 of 2,699
Picked up and installed a new 5U4G-Mesh Emission Labs rectifier. Swapped out a Sophia Aqua II

Oh good Lord. Right out of the box. Oh good Lord.

Smooth as cool whip. Low end TIGHT and punchy. Details deliciously evident. But the 3D glorious mid-range simply says, “sir, this is what your WA22 should sound like.” Sweet tone with solid energy and drive.

One thing I know it’s doing is pushing my TS5998 output tubes harder. It takes another couple of spots up the volume dial to get the same SPL as with the Sophie. That’s asking for more out of the TS5998s, which I think is unleashing their magic too as they put more of their muscle in.

Toe-tapping now in ways the Sophia just could not do. And it is hour 1.

Attachments

• IMG_1949.jpeg
    IMG_1949.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #2,592 of 2,699
Great topic: What are you guys using for power? Curious about the power conditioners, strips, rack mounts, etc. you all are using for power.

As many have noted, there can be some hum with the WA22 and I don't know that it's necessarily the tubes all the time. It can be that (as others have concluded on this thread), the WA22 is not a perfect match for sensitive headphones (> 95 dB sensitivity, for example). I note there is faint hum with my HD800S and ZMF headphones, but dead silence with my Abyss (88 dB). For the HD800S & ZMF, I run the Hi impedance setting on the WA22. Maybe I should stick with Lo?

Some have suggested ground loop protection or perhaps there are power conditioning options to explore. For my guitar gear, I use a Furman rack mount conditioner, which is great. I might consider something similar for my hi-fi gear.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #2,593 of 2,699
Great topic: What are you guys using for power? Curious about the power conditioners, strips, rack mounts, etc. you all are using for power.

As many have noted, there can be some hum with the WA22 and I don't know that it's necessarily the tubes all the time. It can be that (as others have concluded on this thread), the WA22 is not a perfect match for sensitive headphones (> 95 dB sensitivity, for example). I note there is faint hum with my HD800S and ZMF headphones, but dead silence with my Abyss (88 dB). For the HD800S & ZMF, I run the Hi impedance setting on the WA22. Maybe I should stick with Lo?

Some have suggested ground loop protection or perhaps there are power conditioning options to explore. For my guitar gear, I use a Furman rack mount conditioner, which is great. I might consider something similar for my hi-fi gear.
My WA22 has a bit of hum no matter what tubes I use. And I have it hooked to a PowerPlant 12 AC regenerator. Now I do only have 1 pair of headphones....the ZMF's VC's which are are high sensitivity at 99db. Other tubes and headphones could produce better/different results. But I have resigned myself to the Woo design plus my headphones having a bit a hum.

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #2,594 of 2,699
My WA22 has a bit of hum no matter what tubes I use. And I have it hooked to a PowerPlant 12 AC regenerator. Now I do only have 1 pair of headphones....the ZMF's VC's which are are high sensitivity at 99db. Other tubes and headphones could produce better/different results. But I have resigned myself to the Woo design plus my headphones having a bit a hum.
As i mention in the Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite. One trick that i use to either NEW NOS or USED NOS to reduce the buzz or hiss. A small piece of sandpaper 800 grit 1x1 in, folding in half, wraps around each pin, sands it around, up and down for about 10-15 times. After that , i use DeoxIT D5 with a cotton Q-tips to clean and lubricate the pins. This will definitely help to reduce the noise of the tubes.

With the volume off, it is dead silence. No hiss or hum on my amp until you turn the volume to 11:00. You can barely hear a hiss, but my normal volume always around 10 to 10:30. When i plug 2 headphones simultaneously, then the volume goes up to 11:00.

Feb 27, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #2,595 of 2,699
As i mention in the Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite. One trick that i use to either NEW NOS or USED NOS to reduce the buzz or hiss. A small piece of sandpaper 800 grit 1x1 in, folding in half, wraps around each pin, sands it around, up and down for about 10-15 times. After that , i use DeoxIT D5 with a cotton Q-tips to clean and lubricate the pins. This will definitely help to reduce the noise of the tubes.

With the volume off, it is dead silence. No hiss or hum on my amp until you turn the volume to 11:00. You can barely hear a hiss, but my normal volume always around 10 to 10:30. When i plug 2 headphones simultaneously, then the volume goes up to 11:00.
I will give this a try. My tubes are NOS, but you never know. Just for a quick test, I swapped my rectifier tube this morning and it's quieter and the hum is barely audible and you have to concentrate to hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back