Woo Audio WA3 Impressions and Tube-Rolling
Dec 18, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #256 of 267
…. with a classic, altogether sounding like music(!)
F78FED3D-25BF-4C88-8003-0209FFE2E57D.jpeg
🙂👏🥳🍾 (tubes: Cetron 7236, pair Genalex / Gold Lion 6922 [cryo treated])

Dec 31, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #258 of 267
The HD660S2 with the WA3 is seriously mind-blowing. Usually, I'm using the 660S2 with my Vali 2++ at the office. But bringing them home for the holidays, the sound is way better than I thought when they're properly driven!

pQp8meg.jpg
Nice post!

One of my "headphone regrets" is that I didn't have the right NOS tubes in my WA3 when I compared the stock HD650 to my own JAR-650 (heavily revised by Jupiter Audio Research) for a review posted here several years ago. I remember trying both on it, but it wasn't noteworthy--because I was still in the "wander the NOS wilderness" phase, which later decisively corrected when I got the Tung-Sol 5998 power tube and, with the knowledgeable assistance of @jonathan c, the absolute right input tubes.

Really wish I could hear them both on the WA3 now...

Dec 31, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #259 of 267
Nice post!

One of my "headphone regrets" is that I didn't have the right NOS tubes in my WA3 when I compared the stock HD650 to my own JAR-650 (heavily revised by Jupiter Audio Research) for a review posted here several years ago. I remember trying both on it, but it wasn't noteworthy--because I was still in the "wander the NOS wilderness" phase, which later decisively corrected when I got the Tung-Sol 5998 power tube and, with the knowledgeable assistance of @jonathan c, the absolute right input tubes.

Really wish I could hear them both on the WA3 now...

I was considering getting a pair of HD6XX just to see how they sound with the WA3. Then again, the HD660S2 sounds so impressive, way better than what I remember from the HD6XX, that I'd probably just be wasting my time.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #260 of 267
Gents - I'm having a few issues with my WA3 - as it's getting on in it's usable lifespan.

Does anyone on here happen to have a schematic? Or, any detail on the transformer? I called Woo last week - but did not make much progress - even though this is now discontinued, so seemingly not much to worry about from an IP standpoint in sharing.

Mar 15, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #261 of 267
Follow-on to my previous post - should anyone else run into any unknown source of "hum" from their WA3.

The transformer has a large mounting bolt If you remove your transformer housing cover - you will immediately see the bolt.

The bolt on my unit had become extremely loose and somehow was the source of "hum" migrating through my signal path into my headphones.

It was a very easy and simple fix (to tighten). Just sharing as a general FYI.

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #262 of 267
Has anyone used the triple mica 6N1P-E in their WA3? (The Russian letters look like 6H1n-E)
I've tried a couple pairs and the tube I put in the left side fails to heat up or produce any sound even when I then swap the two tubes positions. I haven't seen that with any other 6922 variants, including a pair of double mica 6N1P-E tubes. These have a higher heater current than 6922s but the manual says they're compatible. I'm starting to think there's either a problem with my amp or there's a significant difference between the double mica and triple mica 6N1P-E.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #263 of 267
Western Electric 396A / 2C51 tubes, via 5670 --> 6922 adapters, are unbelievably great in WA3.
IMG_7593.jpeg
What they do with ZMF Verite Closed is 'iiiiinsane 🤪'

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #266 of 267
Got some NOS GE 5670 tubes and 5670 to 6922 adapters for my WA3 and must say I'm quite impressed! The bass is really strong with these tubes, almost boomy, but still controlled. Really good air up top and a nice liquidity to the sound that wasn't as prevalent with the RFT 12AT7 tubes I was using previously. Soundstage is smaller but more uniform and coherent. The RFTs had more width, but depth wasn't as good. Overall a more vivid and aggressive tube than the RFTs without being fatiguing. Really good synergy with the Atrium Closed and Bokeh. I love how they render guitars, good crunch and decay. I think I will explore the 5670 tubes more, I'm really enjoying how they sound. And they're fairly cheap as well! EDIT: Forgot to mention they have a very bright glow, which I love. Some tubes have almost none, I hate that. But these babies glow bright and strong.

5670.jpg

Apr 25, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #267 of 267
Alleluia! Sound to rejoice, sound to lift one heavenward! How?
IMG_7912.jpeg
Woo Audio WA3 driving Nitsch/JAR modified Sennheiser HD-600. Thereness in extremis! 🤪 [Tubes: Cetron 7236, pair Brimar CV455 KB/FB]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back