Woo Audio WA3 Impressions and Tube-Rolling
Oct 20, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #241 of 267
I have a pair, they are among the best I've tried. Those are what sent me down the rabbit hole of Russian tubes. I bought a pair of 6N1P-Es on eBay which sounded very very good until one only produced a quiet hum. They didn't have quite the same musicality as some of the 6922s but the separation and soundstage was top-notch.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #242 of 267
Mind if I become a member of your club? :wink:

gjJkB3A.jpg

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #244 of 267
I know that combo sounds good!

Yeah, the WA3 is a great amp, and it pairs really well with the Atrium. I had my eyes on pre-ordering the new LTA Velo, but now I'm questioning if it's worth dropping that much money for a new amp when the WA3 is already nailing it?

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #245 of 267
Yeah, the WA3 is a great amp, and it pairs really well with the Atrium. I had my eyes on pre-ordering the new LTA Velo, but now I'm questioning if it's worth dropping that much money for a new amp when the WA3 is already nailing it?
That LTA is fascinating. In some ways more fascinating than any of their other stuff (all renowned for sound), based on the preamp functionality.

The WA3 is a completely different value & functional proposition:
  • It's an OTL, so best for high impedance dynamics like the Atrium:
  • Most of the WA3s I know of are amp only, not + pre-amp. Mine can be used as a preamp, but since the preamp out and headphone output are paralleled with no auto on/off switch we're used to, preamp functionality is somewhat compromised
  • Size is quite compact
  • New it cost ~1/3 of the Velo
I seen far bigger and more expensive OTLs than the WA3 at shows. Difficult to tell in show conditions, but I think they're on a different sonic plane from a compact amp like the WA3.

But so what? The WA3 sounds really good, very powerful, great bass, a nice taste of tube dimensionality, especially once you sort out the NOS tube puzzle...

I never listen to the WA3 and wish I had a different OTL...

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #246 of 267
Mind if I become a member of your club? :wink:

gjJkB3A.jpg
Welcome! The WA3 is so good with ZMFs, it's one of my all time favorite amps even though I haven't owned it for that that long. But it's just so musical and enjoyable, how can you not love it? Plus I love its small size and aesthetics.

Dec 15, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #247 of 267
That LTA is fascinating. In some ways more fascinating than any of their other stuff (all renowned for sound), based on the preamp functionality.

I'm really curious about the new Velo, mainly because of that preamp feature. I was also thinking of using it with my SS integrated amp and Forte IV speakers. I'll have to make a decision soon because I'm unsure how long the 15% discount promotion will be available.

Welcome! The WA3 is so good with ZMFs, it's one of my all time favorite amps even though I haven't owned it for that that long. But it's just so musical and enjoyable, how can you not love it? Plus I love its small size and aesthetics.

Thanks! I think I love the WA3 just as much, if not more, compared to the Quicksilver and Icon HP8 I used with the Atrium before.

Dec 15, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #248 of 267
I'm really curious about the new Velo, mainly because of that preamp feature. I was also thinking of using it with my SS integrated amp and Forte IV speakers. I'll have to make a decision soon because I'm unsure how long the 15% discount promotion will be available.

Thanks! I think I love the WA3 just as much, if not more, compared to the Quicksilver and Icon HP8 I used with the Atrium before.
One of my fun things to do is to compare the HP8 to the WA3 on my favorite high imedance ZMF headphone, the silkwood Verite Open. Each time I get a little tutorial in how a good OTL amp differs from a TC-tube amp, the relatively strengths (many) and weaknesses (few) of each.

As for the Velo, I have a real thing for high quality headphone amps that can also be used as a preamp--particularly those that are remote control operated (Exhibit A: Violectric V281). There are very few such units, and of the few, some are described as having sound I would have trouble living with.

All to say that when another likely suspect comes along & has the very good sonic & design pedigree LTA has, I get very interested.

Dec 16, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #249 of 267
Note that LTA Velo has a stated output impedance of only 1.1 ohm. That for Woo WA3 is (estimated to be) 110 ohms. With a lower joint ‘damping factor’ (headphone impedance ➗ amplifier impedance), Atrium sound will ‘blossom’ more with WA3.

Dec 16, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #250 of 267
Note that LTA Velo has a stated output impedance of only 1.1 ohm. That for Woo WA3 is (estimated to be) 110 ohms. With a lower joint ‘damping factor’ (headphone impedance ➗ amplifier impedance), Atrium sound will ‘blossom’ more with WA3.

That's a valid point you're raising about the output impedance. I've come across some positive feedback from people who've tried the Velo with the Atrium at CanJam, but you never know until you try it yourself.

Dec 16, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #251 of 267
That's a valid point you're raising about the output impedance. I've come across some positive feedback from people who've tried the Velo with the Atrium at CanJam, but you never know until you try it yourself.
I have enjoyed my ZMFs (dynamic-driver) with LTA MZ3; I have preferred those headphones with Beyerdynamic A20, Icon Audio HP8, Woo WA3. 🤷🏻‍♂️😀

Dec 16, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #252 of 267
I heard the LTA Velo at Capital Audiofest this past November, that and every LTA headphone amp is the exact opposite of a WA3! If I didn’t know there were tubes inside I would have sworn it was a solid state amp tuned flat!

Dec 16, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #254 of 267
To some that is LTA's unique value proposition.

Maybe it's not that simple: maybe LTA amps do SS as well as SS can.
I totally agree with this, it is their value prop. I had not heard a blacker and clean sounding amp driven by tubes. Hell it beat out some very good solid state amps I own!

Dec 17, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #255 of 267
LTA MZ3, to my ears, is at its astonishing best with headphones of moderate-to-high sensitivity and of moderate-to-low impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back