Woo Audio WA3 Impressions and Tube-Rolling
Oct 14, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #226 of 267
Depends on the version, some has a range on them such as the WA3+. Which one only will know by looking inside as it’s labeled on the choke. Typically 30-600 ohms according to the manual.
• The 30 — 600 ohms range refers to the nominal impedance of the headphones that can be used with WA3. No amplifier nominal (stated) output impedance is disclosed. My guess, comparing it to other OTL tube h/p/a, is 100 — 120 ohms.

Oct 14, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #227 of 267
• The 30 — 600 ohms range refers to the nominal impedance of the headphones that can be used with WA3. No amplifier nominal (stated) output impedance is disclosed. My guess, comparing it to other OTL tube h/p/a, is 100 — 120 ohms.
Why doesn’t woo audio share this? Seems like important information and we shouldn’t have to guess what it is.

Oct 15, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #228 of 267
Could it not be inferred or calculated in conjunction with the wattage chart for the list of headphones like below;
IMG_0961.jpeg

Why doesn’t woo audio share this? Seems like important information and we shouldn’t have to guess what it is.
Woo is not the only one, lots don’t either. Or they will confuse with an ohm rating in the tap which does not indicate output impedance but rather the headphone impedance in order to plug say a 100 ohm headphone into the 100 ohm tap.

Oct 15, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #229 of 267
Or they will confuse with an ohm rating in the tap which does not indicate output impedance but rather the headphone impedance in order to plug say a 100 ohm headphone into the 100 ohm tap.
That’s interesting you brought this up! I’ve thought a lot about this topic and was planning on posting in a thread here.
I remember hearing someone casually talk about this and if an 8 ohm tap is outputting 8 ohms exactly.

Oct 15, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #230 of 267
The WA3 continues to surprise me. I abandoned the stock tubes on day-1 (bought it new). Right now the input tubes are vintage NOS Mullard CV4033s and the power tube is the NOS Tung Sol 5998. And amazing to say, this little amp really has balls. If it's wooly, warm, fuzzy, "tubey," any of that stuff people say about OTLs, I'm certainly not hearing it.

On the contrary, I'm rocking out on the Verite w/some exciting R&B & funk tunes. The bass is the best I've ever heard from this amp.

This is the second Woo amp I owned; the other was the WA22, a big, heavy transformer-coupled balanced design. I sold that one, but kept the WA3. For a long time I kind of resented the idea that Woo amps don't really come close to their sonic potential until the owner spends real $$ on the best NOS tubes available. That struck me as unfair. Well, I don't feel that way any more. It's almost like a mini-super power: if I get the right NOS tubes, I can turn this polite, compact little amp into an OTL firebreather.

I got through hot and cold periods with the WA3. Right now it's definitely hot...

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #231 of 267
The WA3 continues to surprise me. I abandoned the stock tubes on day-1 (bought it new). Right now the input tubes are vintage NOS Mullard CV4033s and the power tube is the NOS Tung Sol 5998. And amazing to say, this little amp really has balls. If it's wooly, warm, fuzzy, "tubey," any of that stuff people say about OTLs, I'm certainly not hearing it.

On the contrary, I'm rocking out on the Verite w/some exciting R&B & funk tunes. The bass is the best I've ever heard from this amp.

This is the second Woo amp I owned; the other was the WA22, a big, heavy transformer-coupled balanced design. I sold that one, but kept the WA3. For a long time I kind of resented the idea that Woo amps don't really come close to their sonic potential until the owner spends real $$ on the best NOS tubes available. That struck me as unfair. Well, I don't feel that way any more. It's almost like a mini-super power: if I get the right NOS tubes, I can turn this polite, compact little amp into an OTL firebreather.

I got through hot and cold periods with the WA3. Right now it's definitely hot...
And only three tubes in use … (vs ten in Folkvangr 🤪). PS - fuse upgrade works a charm, too, in WA3 ✅.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #232 of 267

That’s a great combo, my main roll aslso included the 5998, with a double dose of Amperex PQ from the 60’s. Did a bunch of you do a group by for this special CV4033 Millard’s? Got any left 😁

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #233 of 267

Totally agree! The WA3 has far exceeding my expectations, and rivals my big boy SET amps for pure musical enjoyment.

Oct 16, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #234 of 267
What is the output impedance of this amp?
For 6080/6AS7G OTL cathode follower amps, like the WA3, output impedance is roughly 1/transconductance for a cathode follower. That puts the 6AS7 with transconductance of 7000micromhos at about 142ohms. Changing the tube to a 5998 with transconductance around 14000 gets you down to 72 ohms. Even better is the 421A at 20000 which gets you close to 50 ohms. For OTLs with two output tubes (like WA2), cut those in half.

Oct 16, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #235 of 267
Did you mean to write 1/transconductance?
For the 6AS7 that would be 1/7000 which is around 0.000143

Edit: what I missed is that there's some kind of conversion from 0.000143 micromhos to 142ohms

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #236 of 267
Did you mean to write 1/transconductance?
For the 6AS7 that would be 1/7000 which is around 0.000143

Edit: what I missed is that there's some kind of conversion from 0.000143 micromhos to 142ohms
Yes, 1/.007000mhos = 142.85ohms
micro is 10e-6

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #237 of 267
When buying rectifier tubes I find it's not uncommon to get a tube that produces no sound or it produces a loud hum, especially with tubes from Ebay. Could this be a sign of problems in the amplifier or just bad tubes?
Is there any way to attempt to fix these? Or any risk? I'm considering putting one in and leaving it on for several hours.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #238 of 267
When buying rectifier tubes I find it's not uncommon to get a tube that produces no sound or it produces a loud hum, especially with tubes from Ebay. Could this be a sign of problems in the amplifier or just bad tubes?
Is there any way to attempt to fix these? Or any risk? I'm considering putting one in and leaving it on for several hours.
For which headphone amplifier are you buying rectifier tubes? WA3 does not use rectifier tubes. WA3 uses 1 x 6080 (or equivalent) and 2 x 6922 (or equivalent) or 2 x 12A#7 (on adapters).

Oct 20, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #240 of 267
@Gemini88 , these cost a little more; I recommend them, I use (rotate) them in a Woo WA3, in a Liquid Platinum. What are they? Genalex / Gold Lion 6922s. These are excellent in balance, detail, soundstage. Mine (several pairs) have all been quiet, non-microphonic. They are ‘new production’ made in Russia; they are sold by The Tube Store, Tube Depot, Upscale Audio, Viva Tubes and other vendors.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back