Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV
Nov 6, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #841 of 904
Nov 6, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #842 of 904
Nov 26, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #843 of 904
Quick power bank question again. I know some of you use the Omni 20+ which is quite expensive but anyone using the Omni Mobile 25600? From their web site it looks like it can output 12v like the WA8 charger so I guess it could do the job? People using the Chargetech, which specific model are you using?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #844 of 904
Quick power bank question again. I know some of you use the Omni 20+ which is quite expensive but anyone using the Omni Mobile 25600? From their web site it looks like it can output 12v like the WA8 charger so I guess it could do the job? People using the Chargetech, which specific model are you using?

You need to be able to dial in the exact voltage and amperage for the bank to work with the WA8. And even then, it sometimes won't charge the WA8 adequately. I use the Omni 20 series.

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #845 of 904
You need to be able to dial in the exact voltage and amperage for the bank to work with the WA8. And even then, it sometimes won't charge the WA8 adequately. I use the Omni 20 series.
Thanks Daniel, that choice of voltage in the design is really a bummer. Would have been so simple to just charge with regular USB connection (even if it takes longer) instead of this specific brick that we can't even find a choice of universal replacement.

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #846 of 904
I bought two adapters from yahoo auctions japan that allow me to roll 12AU7 (and compatible) and 2C51 tubes in my WA8. I'm currently enjoying a Western Electric 396A.
IMG_8806.jpeg
Oh my, I must try this. It looks so awkward, I love it!
How much did the heat increase? Notice any difference in the sound?
I was not even aware it could power a "full size" tube.

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #848 of 904
Looking forward to purchasing one of this compare to hugo 2 and enleum hpa-23rm.
I can't help you about Hugo2 but I can talk a bit about my experience if that is any help. To my taste the DAC in the WA8 is "ordinary" sounding. It is not bad at all but it does not raise my spirits that much. I also have an MHDT Orchid DAC that I use to feed the Woo and wow, that is really very good. I also just bought a iFi iDSD Finale and will be using it as a DAC only to feed my Woo. Again the DAC from the iFi is nicer sounding, more refined and less digital than the internal ESS DAC in the WA8.

Now this said, the Woo WA8 amp section is to me a one of a kind, it sounds really really good, it can amplify my IEM as well as my Meze Empy, black background, very tubey sound that I absolutely love, with the IEM it sounds as good as my desktop tube amp and not that far behind with the full size planar.

If I ever need to keep only one kit of audio equipment I would keep the Woo WA8 and be happy. Sure I'd miss my desktop DAC and tube amp but I would not get rid of the WA8 to keep the desktop kit because the WA8 pleases me everywhere in or outside the house, not the desktop kit.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #849 of 904
I can't help you about Hugo2 but I can talk a bit about my experience if that is any help. To my taste the DAC in the WA8 is "ordinary" sounding. It is not bad at all but it does not raise my spirits that much. I also have an MHDT Orchid DAC that I use to feed the Woo and wow, that is really very good. I also just bought a iFi iDSD Finale and will be using it as a DAC only to feed my Woo. Again the DAC from the iFi is nicer sounding, more refined and less digital than the internal ESS DAC in the WA8.

Now this said, the Woo WA8 amp section is to me a one of a kind, it sounds really really good, it can amplify my IEM as well as my Meze Empy, black background, very tubey sound that I absolutely love, with the IEM it sounds as good as my desktop tube amp and not that far behind with the full size planar.

If I ever need to keep only one kit of audio equipment I would keep the Woo WA8 and be happy. Sure I'd miss my desktop DAC and tube amp but I would not get rid of the WA8 to keep the desktop kit because the WA8 pleases me everywhere in or outside the house, not the desktop kit.

Hope this helps you.

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #850 of 904
That's fantastic! Your help has been invaluable in giving me the confidence to purchase one. I'm still on the hunt for the ideal tube sound that suits my laid-back style and love for vocal and jazz music. But I'm confident that with your help and my passion for music, I'll find exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you for being an amazing support in this journey towards the ultimate listening experience!

Jan 25, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #851 of 904
That's fantastic! Your help has been invaluable in giving me the confidence to purchase one. I'm still on the hunt for the ideal tube sound that suits my laid-back style and love for vocal and jazz music. But I'm confident that with your help and my passion for music, I'll find exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you for being an amazing support in this journey towards the ultimate listening experience!

Hugo 2 is completely different presentation. More detail, leaner presentation, and less rich mids.

WA8 as a SET amp is spectacular. The on board DAC is well matched. I agree it is an amp I'll likely not move on.

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #852 of 904
Just wanted to jump in here with some love for the WA8.

Been listening to my Euforia and Bifrost2 lately and went back to WA8 in rotation … WA8 is awesome. Has less soundstage and less detail, but is energetic, sparkles, clear, and just magical. Most enjoyable peice of gear I have seen in this Hobby. Hope that helps anyone on the fence.

Jan 31, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #853 of 904
Hello everyone,

I got a used WA8 about two weeks ago, everything was working, DAC, AMP, both flawless. But tonight when I went to use my WA8 I noticed some odd sounds playing in the background of my music and when nothing was playing. Perhaps the DAC is dying from what I am reading online. Sounds like squeaky static or chatter. If anyone has any info on what might be happening please let me know.

Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 1:29 AM Post #855 of 904
Oh no! Sorry to hear that! Try connecting another DAC through the line in on the back and see if the issue is still there. That should help you figure out if it’s the Internal dac Issue.

although not ideal to need another DAC, the WA8 still sounds great with the line in (tried with Mojo and Bifrost2)
I'll try that tomorrow, I can connect that through my daps 3.5 to the WA8 line in, yes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back