ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 10, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #377 of 814
... die Suche geht weiter (veni, vidi, emi) ...[ ATTACH type="full"]4758704[/ATTACH]
Is a reputable dealer in the USA.
I bought rectifier tubes from him in top condition.
I didn't even have to clean them.
And the ones I bought were very rare, hard to find, it was an absolute coincidence that I found them.
Also his prices seem to me to be very fair considering the condition.
You should go for these tubes, there's a secret about them that I won't reveal.
They are on the screen for my amplifier, 😁😁😁😁.
The Tungsol's also look very good,👍👍👍👍.

May 10, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #378 of 814
Is a reputable dealer in the USA.
I bought rectifier tubes from him in top condition.
I didn't even have to clean them.
And the ones I bought were very rare, hard to find, it was an absolute coincidence that I found them.
Also his prices seem to me to be very fair considering the condition.
You should go for these tubes, there's a secret about them that I won't reveal.
They are on the screen for my amplifier, 😁😁😁😁.
The Tungsol's also look very good,👍👍👍👍.
What's the secret, that they are made with Mullard tooling perhaps?

May 10, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #379 of 814
I couldn't resist... placed my order a few minutes ago!

May 10, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #380 of 814
... the quest continues (veni, vidi, emi) ...IMG_8025.jpegIMG_8026.jpegIMG_8027.jpeg

My only advice for tube rollers (and not you specifically) is not to get too hung up on one type of power tube at first. After spending a lot of time with the Aegis, I think you'll see more drastic differences rolling different power tube types than 47 different varieties of EL34/6CA7. I would try a bunch of different types and then focus within that type once you figure out what you prefer. Just my 2c.

May 10, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #381 of 814
Also, in general, if buying NOS tubes make sure they are tested! Very important as you don't want to roll the dice and put a tube with a short into an amplifier, which could damage it.

May 10, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #382 of 814
Has anyone paired their Aegis with a Yggy A2? There’s a nagging voice in the back of my mind that hates the idea of using the inferior single-ended outputs of my Yggy with an amp as nice as the Aegis. I currently use the balanced outputs of the Yggy into my Mjolnir 3 and know I’m getting the best out of the DAC and amp.

Am I being crazy to think the single-ended outputs of my Yggy A2 will be a bottleneck with the Aegis?
Here, Yggy's single ended outputs to my rca limited, 1/2 watt tube monoblocks.

Happily, Yggy's balanced lines go to the Mjolnir 3.

It is true however than I must slow down my breathing when I power it all up ... just a little jumpy about it still, but it's getting better.

I am obviously losing a bit of output from the Yggy and for a time used a Lokius to salve the wound. That did help get me over the first week or so, which is the worst part.

Eventually I put the Lokius back with the speakers where it belongs.

If I get urges to buy a transformer based XLR > RCA voltage step down unit, I use a Self-Slapper (tm) I found early days on e-Bay.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #385 of 814
(emoji for extreme confusion)

1715387659535.gif

May 10, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #386 of 814
It's gonna be awesome, to be rocking and rolling the same amp as you again!
... with some ZMF headphone overlap (Atticus, Verite Closed)! :beerchug:

May 10, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #387 of 814
... with some ZMF headphone overlap (Atticus, Verite Closed)! :beerchug:
. . .of which both sound insanely good with the Aegis. You are in for a treat, and some fun tube rolling adventures are soon to be had!

May 10, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #388 of 814
May 10, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #389 of 814
Glad I was able to get my order in this morning. I set my alarm for 5 minutes before it went live....and promptly fell back asleep for another 30 minutes. I got to audition it at CanJam NYC and marked it as a must buy in my notes.

May 10, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #390 of 814
Glad I was able to get my order in this morning. I set my alarm for 5 minutes before it went live....and promptly fell back asleep for another 30 minutes. I got to audition it at CanJam NYC and marked it as a must buy in my notes.
Nice!

Good to know not everyone who snoozes, loses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back