ZMF Spring Limiteds, CanJam NYC and Estimated Release Schedule for Caldera Closed and BOKEH Open!
Mar 23, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #137 of 311
Bummer, FedEx delayed the delivery.

Probably means I'm waiting till Monday, unless FedEx does me a favor and deliver it on the weekend.
Nothing express about FedEx…just recently my 2 day delivery package was delivered after 5 days…

Mar 23, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #138 of 311
The old ofc cable, which was included in places, is actually good in terms of sound, except that it was quite stiff and tended to wrap around itself, making it quite annoying over time.
In this respect, I welcome the new cables and hope that their sound is the same or better and that they are more comfortable.
I deliberately bought the Lektrik C when I bought the Atrium last year.
It also likes to wind itself up, but much less than the ofc cable.
I think it's a good thing that Zmf has taken things a step further and listened to our voices.
Agreed. I find the sound of the original ofc Japan wire cable to be more than satisfactory, and solid upgrade over the stock one. The stiffness though was borderline unbearable. The new ones are excellent and much better in that regard, I do not experience any of it turning and wrapping itself with normal use. I’m using the silver plated one and find it to offer just a touch more openness and extension than the stiff ofc one.

Mar 23, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #139 of 311
Ordered a pair of the Auteur LTD in Mango wood. The color of the wood along with the yellow accents really caught my eye.

Going to be my first pair of ZMF and I'm really excited to join the club. Going to feel like a long 4-8 weeks :)!
Auteur is very, very good entry point into ZMF. I have a few of them and love them all. Very detailed, but so easy listening.

Mar 23, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #140 of 311
Nothing express about FedEx…just recently my 2 day delivery package was delivered after 5 days…
Agreed...FedEx is terrible. USPS just lost a cable I sent. UPS is the only decent shipping company out there these days.

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #141 of 311
The old ofc cable, which was included in places, is actually good in terms of sound, except that it was quite stiff and tended to wrap around itself, making it quite annoying over time.
In this respect, I welcome the new cables and hope that their sound is the same or better and that they are more comfortable.
I deliberately bought the Lektrik C when I bought the Atrium last year.
It also likes to wind itself up, but much less than the ofc cable.
I think it's a good thing that Zmf has taken things a step further and listened to our voices.
Yes, the new pro OFC cables are much better in terms of flexibility, comfort and aesthetics. ZMF had a lot of the new cables at CanJam NYC so it was nice to get some hands-on with them. Here is a photo I took with it on the Aeolus. Ordered one for my Bokeh and another for my other ZMFs.
1710695060318.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #142 of 311
USPS just lost a cable I sent.
I ordered a pair of ZMF Focal pads, and they took a leisurely trip up and down the West coast before getting delivered.

I'm in the Seattle area, and they got to my local post office from Chicago ok. So I think they'll be out for delivery the next day. Instead, they get put on a truck bound straight to City of Industry (LA). Then they get put on another truck back to Seattle from LA, and the whole "moving through the system" BS in USPS speak. Which incidentally sounds like a description of a giant turd...

Anyway, they do make it back to my area and get delivered, only another week after they'd already been here! F'ing USPS...:angry:

Mar 24, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #143 of 311
Tomorrow the Black Limba batch is being released at 8:30 Am CST // 1:30PM UTC.

https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/stock-headphones/products/bokeh

A couple quick notes!

1. This batch is still Limba wood, but more specifically "Black" Limba which has many natural characteristics. best to watch my YouTube Video below, but expect aberrations, all of which I find very beautiful!

2. PRO OFC 4N cable is available as an add on.

3. BOKEH Case is available as an add-on, it'll be available a-la-carte within a month.

This batch will be 200 units - and it will start shipping in 4 weeks or less. Estimate to complete the entire batch is 12 weeks.

Some pics!
_DSC3374.jpg_DSC3379.jpg_DSC3463.jpg_DSC3478.jpg_DSC3524.jpg_DSC3532.jpg_DSC3560.jpg_DSC3566.jpg_DSC3572.jpg_DSC3579.jpg
_DSC3596.jpg

Those cases look awesome! Do they fit other ZMFs without issue or are they specific to the Bokeh?

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #144 of 311
Those cases look awesome! Do they fit other ZMFs without issue or are they specific to the Bokeh?
These ones work on BOKEH only and will be available a-la-carte in about 3-5 weeks. We are working on a full sized version as well which will be a different color and slightly different but will have correct moulding for the round cups.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 28, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #147 of 311
Queensland Maple just arrived.

Just a couple of quick pics with the smart phone. I'll take some better pictures once the DSLR batteries charge.

The pictures don't do them justice. It has an almost Lenticular 3D affect that is really cool.

This is breathtaking! I don't think I've ever loved a natural wood more. Let alone how perfectly it matches with the rods. I hope you like the sound, cause the looks of this pair is something I'd never want to let go of!
Is there a sound difference between the different woods? I know my mahogany guitars sounded really full, while my basswood guitars sounded very thin.
There is, but it might be both more subtle and more obvious than you'd think. The frequency response isn't changed, but harder the wood, the faster the decay and more aggressive the attack. A wenge (relatively dense wood) OG auteur I had was significantly more "in my face" than a black limba auteur (very light wood), which had more decay, a larger stage, and more distant overall sound. So it's a difference that doesn't affect frequency response, but does impact the overall presentation of the headphone to a subtle but noticeable degree (at least for me).

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #148 of 311
This is breathtaking! I don't think I've ever loved a natural wood more. Let alone how perfectly it matches with the rods. I hope you like the sound, cause the looks of this pair is something I'd never want to let go of!

There is, but it might be both more subtle and more obvious than you'd think. The frequency response isn't changed, but harder the wood, the faster the decay and more aggressive the attack. A wenge (relatively dense wood) OG auteur I had was significantly more "in my face" than a black limba auteur (very light wood), which had more decay, a larger stage, and more distant overall sound. So it's a difference that doesn't affect frequency response, but does impact the overall presentation of the headphone to a subtle but noticeable degree (at least for me).
Thank you for that.

@zach915m do you pick woods based on how they sound? Or are they strictly picked for appearance? Or both? Or maybe it doesnt affect sound?

I don't know much about woods but I remember mahogany being top tier for guitars. The only downside is that it's very soft. I'm curious to know if mahogany was ever experimented with.

Also are the cups easily swappable? Say I wanted to buy a hardwood and a softwood to change the sound.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. Sorry if this has already been asked
Thanks

Mar 29, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #149 of 311
Thank you for that.

@zach915m do you pick woods based on how they sound? Or are they strictly picked for appearance? Or both? Or maybe it doesnt affect sound?

I don't know much about woods but I remember mahogany being top tier for guitars. The only downside is that it's very soft. I'm curious to know if mahogany was ever experimented with.

Also are the cups easily swappable? Say I wanted to buy a hardwood and a softwood to change the sound.

Thanks
It has been extensively discussed with various opinions - here's a search result that might guide your pursuit - https://www.head-fi.org/search/17273512/?q=zmf+hardness+sound&o=date

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #150 of 311
Thank you for that.

Thanks
The short version is it doesn't affect the sound enough to make your choice based on it, choose the wood you find prettiest or most comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back