ZMF Spring Limiteds, CanJam NYC and Estimated Release Schedule for Caldera Closed and BOKEH Open!
Mar 7, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #107 of 311
Im actually not sure? Does it share an attachment and size that's the same as any other hifiman?
Shangri-La Jr uses Susvara-style pads with similar attachment:

IMG_1515.jpg

Shangri-La Sr pads are similarly sized as the other teardrop-shaped HIFIMAN headphone pads but have way more attachment points and an embedded dust cover.

IMG_0854.jpg

For contrast, this is the Arya Organic:

Headphones 15.jpg

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #109 of 311
I'm currently using a pair of ZMF solid hybrid auteur pads on a Hifiman mounting ring, which works well for me and boosts the bass.

Bought myself a pair of the new ZMF Susvara pads, with the mesh. Looking forward to trying them out. I hope they are deeper than the stock Susvara pads.

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #110 of 311
Curious if you’re hearing the loss in sub bass that the graphs are showing?
The typical perception will be an increase in sub-bass, as the boost at 40 hz and then subsequent drop-off past the linear stock pads doesn't occur until 25Hz and below on the oval pads, so most information down there will be boosted unless listening to pipe organs or whatever it is that plays all those notes at like 15 hz?
What Zach said is pretty much what I heard, which I wasn't expecting after seeing the graphs but his explanation makes sense. The XS sounds less thin after the pad swap which is that oomf I mentioned. I think it makes them more enjoyable without straying too far from the stock sound that I want them to have.

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #111 of 311
What Zach said is pretty much what I heard, which I wasn't expecting after seeing the graphs but his explanation makes sense. The XS sounds less thin after the pad swap which is that oomf I mentioned. I think it makes them more enjoyable without straying too far from the stock sound that I want them to have.
Great. I’m not interested in changing the FR really. Just looking to add that ZMF comfort that I’ve always wanted in my HE1000V2 and Edition X V2. I’ll pick up the Hybrids for both.

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #113 of 311
Looking forward to that. For the Susvara pads I'd like to know if they're deeper than the stock Susvara pads, which are too shallow for comfort.
I just received the Susvara pads. A shame that I did not get an answer to this question. They are just as shallow as the stock Susvara pads. Maybe even more shallow. I do not have large ears at all, but with the stock pads they touch the inside of the headphone. A missed opportunity to improve the comfort with these aftermarket pads. I will stay with the Auteur pads + Hifiman mounting ring.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #114 of 311
Tentative Release Schedule for Spring and Summer:
MARCH 9th and 10th:
CanJam 2024 NYC - come check out the Caldera Closed and Bokeh Open as well as the ZMF Aegis Amplifier. All extremely exciting releases. We also will as usual have many LTD edition ZMFs for sale.

Read up on the Aegis DIY version made by @L0rdGwyn here. The version we are releasing is OEM'd for us by Cayin. It turned out great and we're very excited about it!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aegis-diy-tube-headphone-amplifier.965530/

Late March: BOKEH Closed ordering starts again. Another batch of 250 units. These will be natural figured Black Limba wood. Price will be $1099, we will have the new moulded cases available for add on with these as well and for sale to the first run owners.

Early to Mid April: Stabilized and Resin Drop for Various models.

AXPONA Audio Expo - April 12th-14th // Come see us at our local Audio Show in Schaumberg. What a time it will be! Likely will have Aegis amps available for sale by then as well.

Late April/May: Caldera Closed release. Enough said!

Mid to late summer: BOKEH Open Release.

That's all I got for now. See the youtube video for a few looks at the Caldera Closed and Bokeh open. Will be posting more info on these as well as pics as we finish the sets for CanJam.

@zach915m Will there be any Atrium Open in this Stabilized/Resin drop? Or is that a secret for now? :eyes:

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #115 of 311
They are just as shallow as the stock Susvara pads.
For any of our pads, you can put paracord of various thickness below the foam and above the ear covering liner to make the pad thicker, use the thickness of paracord that you desire to make the pad the desired thickness.

Sorry I missed your question earlier, canjam was really a stressful and busy time. It's impossible to change the thickness of a pad without changing the sound sig, and I wanted to retain the OG sound of the susvara, so the thickness is similar, but our foam is a little stiffer.
@zach915m Will there be any Atrium Open in this Stabilized/Resin drop? Or is that a secret for now? :eyes:
Yep there will be some for sure!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 12, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #116 of 311
For any of our pads, you can put paracord of various thickness below the foam and above the ear covering liner to make the pad thicker, use the thickness of paracord that you desire to make the pad the desired thickness.
That does not work on the Hifiman pads though, as the mounting ring is glued tight? I just had a look and I don't see how I can put paracord in there without damaging the pads.
Sorry I missed your question earlier, canjam was really a stressful and busy time. It's impossible to change the thickness of a pad without changing the sound sig, and I wanted to retain the OG sound of the susvara, so the thickness is similar, but our foam is a little stiffer.
No worries, the responsibility is all mine. I could have asked the question again, but I just decided to give it a go. You cannot answer all questions. I think it is impressive that you interact so much on here with all that you have going on running the business and creating those fabulous headphones.

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #117 of 311
Been listening to the Sundara this morning using the stock pads since it's been a while since I used them.

USPS dropped off the ZMF pads, I hit pause and swapped to the Hybrid pads.

Zach you and your team have once again hit it out of the ballpark. The Sundara is no longer too polite on the bass. There is now some authority and body in the bass with the hybrid pads.

The seal is better with your pads and I'm sure that is one of the reasons for the improved bass, and the Sundara is roomier around my ears.

Once again, you've created pads that improve the sound without altering the FR too much changing what makes the headphone special.

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #118 of 311

Yep there will be some for sure!
Great tip. I'm going to test this one out! I wish I was skilled with a sewing machine so I could experiment with weird pad ideas.

Mar 14, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #119 of 311
Did anyone already receive an Atrium Open (or alternatively a Caldera) with Canary or Zebrawood and could share some pictures (in addition to the ones provided by Zach)? I'm about to order my first ZMF but just can't make up my mind… I tend to Canarywood, but I just can't click the button 😬

Mar 16, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #120 of 311
Did anyone already receive an Atrium Open (or alternatively a Caldera) with Canary or Zebrawood and could share some pictures (in addition to the ones provided by Zach)? I'm about to order my first ZMF but just can't make up my mind… I tend to Canarywood, but I just can't click the button 😬
Depending on the one you get, that zebrawood looks 🔥🔥🔥 in the video and on the site. I also am wanting to see images.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back