Power Cable Recommendation
Feb 27, 2024 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ceremonsen

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a couple of power cables for Dynaudio LYD 48 to improve their performance.
A friend of mine recommended AudioQuest NRG-4, but I'd like to know other opinions as well.

They connected to Yggdrasil LiM DAC, which is connected to PC via USB.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 8
Power cables have never been measured on any equipment to make a difference because they just carry electricity. A UL listed power cord is all you ever need. Do research and you'll find they all measure the same. Check a real world test comparing a ratty extension cable to a high end one.

Feb 28, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #4 of 8
seriously other than peace of mind for gear, not sure a kettle chords worse, but i got lps and power chords

May 16, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #5 of 8
I use a Furutech for powering hdvd800 headamp and really hear how it changes the output from hd800s drivers.
Even a very short IC cable one pure silver stranded and one coper silver platted has at least, difference in bass range: kicking harder and punchy with silver, while coper with silver plate's bass is rich and fuller.
Pure copper is darker.
I found price is sometimes not correlation to sonic or individual preference

Attachments

• 20240516_215910.jpg
    20240516_215910.jpg
    565.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240516_220125.jpg
    20240516_220125.jpg
    872.6 KB · Views: 0
May 16, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 8
The link in post #2: did they pull out the fuse then shortened it?
I think the fuse can blury the contrast among cables.
Power cable store electron that feed to the amp but a fuse is between them.
Like you watching after a small gate then count how many people goes through it in certain amount of time and how smooth, equally at any bit of time. Right beside the gate is a big space/ground with many people stand there in lines, ready to go forward. That is imagine of a good power cable.
A wire like found inside a wall imagine like smaller space with less people standing random position.
Once time, one moment call for 5 people may be OK, call for 50 people may happen a conflict, fighting and just 48 people go forward. Next call may got 51.
Powering a rice cooker surely no matter.
If exchange place, good power cable install inside walls and wall cable use for connect amplifier to AC socket, in energy consumtion device, a rice cooker, desktop fan...there's no change but audio amplifier

May 16, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 8
Power cables are not likely to make any significant improvement, just as post #2 stated. If you want to change power cords, I would look into power cables for medical devices. They're designed not to cause interference with medical devices and are UL rated; very important in regards to fire hazards.

If you live in an old house and think the power is suspect, you may be better served with a power conditioner. Most people, this is unnecessary.

To improve performance, I would suggest checking your amplifier has the appropriate power--watts and ohms--for the speakers. You could try changing your speaker cables with a lower gauge; helps with resistance. Check it has decent insulation. Also, try to keep your power cables away from your speaker cables.

The other stuff you listed, it's all digital. It's more about how severe the cord bends are than interference since it's transmitting 1s and 0s.

May 19, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 8
A friend of mine recommended AudioQuest NRG-4, but I'd like to know other opinions as well.
I have been very happy with the

AudioQuest NRG-Z3/Z2 Mains Power Cable. Great dynamic and fullbodied sound and better resolution then generic cables. They are a bit stiff and thick though.​

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back