SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 18, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #15,691 of 15,797
I wonder if most people in this thread would agree with this percentage about the difference between the a306 and the AM2. I know that sometimes, in this hobby, the quest is just to get that final 10%. But, I really want to know the sound of the Sony house. I have some DAPs and I've had others... but I've never had a Sony... Having a collection of IEMs... like listening to music and not having a Sony DAP? This cannot happen under my own laws. 😂

The A306 is a great little DAP, and it is perfect for portable use.
The evaluation of % difference is kind of meaningless, as it really depends on the use case. i.e. If using it while exercising, running (treadmill or outdoors), it should be more than enough. But if listening in a quiet environment, where you want to forget the outside world, then maybe not. While the % may be small, the difference may be that it cannot get you into that immersive state.

Same situation when buying a laptop. The ultra thin/light ultrabook is better for mobile use. But it does not have the power or the features of a heavy gaming laptop. Different tools for different usage requirements. Each has their place.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 7:49 AM Post #15,692 of 15,797
The evaluation of % difference is kind of meaningless, as it really depends on the use case. i.e. If using it while exercising, running (treadmill or outdoors), it should be more than enough. But if listening in a quiet environment, where you want to forget the outside world, then maybe not. While the % may be small, the difference may be that it cannot get you into that immersive state.

Same situation when buying a laptop. The ultra thin/light ultrabook is better for mobile use. But it does not have the power or the features of a heavy gaming laptop. Different tools for different usage requirements. Each has their place.

Of course I just made up the 90%... The point was that you can get a very good Sony experience without spending thousands of $$$... :wink:

May 18, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #15,693 of 15,797
I would however recommend finding an uncapped one if you can to be honest as it just covers you for more headphones if you need it in the future.
as i have had the uncapped and capped version, this is also my view. Low gain for iem = absolutely enough.

however, don't forget that the capped version has even less power in low gain in comparison to uncapped low gain.

May 18, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #15,694 of 15,797
Of course I just made up the 90%... The point was that you can get a very good Sony experience without spending thousands of $$$... :wink:
Yes, I absolutely agree.
Like the 3 bears fairy tale, there is a Large, Medium, and Small. They are all good, in their own way, and each is a perfect fit for people at that particular stage of their musical journey.
So it depends....
For some, maybe the small used to fit perfectly, but their tastes are changing, and it's starting to feel restrictive, or they are just curious to try the next size?
For others, they are happy, and see no need to change.
And this is the hard part, to be happy with what you have, and have no desire, or curiosity, to change. For many years, I upgraded equipment infrequently, and bought and used a player for many years.
Then I was afflicted with an upgrade virus, and the changes became more and more frequent. The cost also kept going up, and up.
Only recently, after a particularly virulent episode, have I managed to regain some control. For the moment, the sickness is under control.
Or at least, exceptions are only made occasionally, for good/interesting/inexpensive experiments.

May 18, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #15,695 of 15,797
Agreed. I have a NW-WM1AM2 but I always bring the A306 to work and portable.

May 18, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #15,696 of 15,797
as i have had the uncapped and capped version, this is also my view. Low gain for iem = absolutely enough.

however, don't forget that the capped version has even less power in low gain in comparison to uncapped low gain.
I do believe that the Sony S-Master, being a clean, and efficient Direct Digital solution, would sound good from a capped player.
But obviously, the capped power limitation does impose restrictions, so I would not want to get a capped player.
My bias about having lots of power comes from home stereo experiences, where I was shocked by how good a pair of small Spendor LS3/5A speakers sounded, driven by 2 x 200Watt bridged mono amplifiers. (Sima W3050 stereo power amps bridged to mono mode, I believe) You would not think these little speakers could handle that much power, but they just sing with that setup. Of course the amplifier quality had a lot to do with it...

Fortunately, this is just a theoretical concern for me, as all the players available where I am are uncapped, so I have not had to make that hard decision, of needing to spend the extra effort, and cost, to import an uncapped model.

May 21, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #15,697 of 15,797
The output power of an uncapped player at low gain is also higher than that of a capped player.
Interesting. Is that listed in Sony's data sheets? Or by measurement?

May 21, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #15,699 of 15,797
Interesting. Is that listed in Sony's data sheets? Or by measurement?
Here is a roundabout answer:

The WM1AM2 specs show lower output power for a capped version. But it does not list the power for un-capped low gain, so this is what is not clear.
The A306, however, does not have a High Gain setting in either the Capped, or Un-capped model, so there is only one setting.
Take a look at the power output for the HK vs the UK version, and you will see what Sony has listed in their Spec.
I see no reason to think that what is shown for the A306 would be different for the WM1AM2, as they are both using S-Master Direct Digital.

Going by this reasoning, the
- WM1AM2 (no-cap), low gain, would have approximately 35mW from the 3.5mm jack
- WM1AM2 (capped) would have 0.4-1.1mW (32Ω) from the 3.5mm jack

The 4.4mm jack would be similarly capped. The low gain un-capped would be much higher than the capped version.

***************************************************************************************************************************
WM1AM2
- HK
https://www.sony.com.hk/en/electronics/walkman/nw-wm1am2/specifications
Headphone Out (Stereo mini-jack)
FREQUENCY20-40,000 Hz​
MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW)60mW+60mW (High Gain)
Headphone Out (Balanced standard-jack)
FREQUENCY20-40,000 Hz​
MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW)250mW+250mW (High Gain)
*********************************************************************************************************************​
- UK https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nw-wm1am2/specifications

FREQUENCY 20-40,000 Hz

MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW)0.4-1.1mW (32Ω)

FREQUENCY 20-40,000 Hz

*****************************************************************************************************************************

NW-A306
- HK https://www.sony.com.hk/en/electron...layers-nw-nwz-a-series/nw-a306/specifications
  • Headphone Out (Stereo mini-jack)
    • FREQUENCY 20-40,000 Hz​

• MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW)
      35mW+35mW

- UK https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/...layers-nw-nwz-a-series/nw-a306/specifications

0.4-1.1mW (32Ω)

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #15,700 of 15,797
I have a WM1AM2 from today and I have a couple of questions.
1: In the Walkman app, is it possible to go back one step from the playback screen back to a folder and then one step back to where I selected the folder from? It's terribly tedious and annoying to always start over at the library's home screen and curse to a folder that's below the one I'm currently playing from.
2: 320 GB on an SD card, loading the database in about 10 minutes (debloating).
3: Is the sound from the Walkman app better than when I use Poweramp for example?

May 21, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #15,701 of 15,797
1: In the Walkman app, is it possible to go back one step from the playback screen back to a folder and then one step back to where I selected the folder from? It's terribly tedious and annoying to always start over at the library's home screen and curse to a folder that's below the one I'm currently playing from.
3: Is the sound from the Walkman app better than when I use Poweramp for example?

1. Yes, use the Android previous icon at the bottom of the screen. i.e. Home screen, pull down, select Folder/folderx/song. While playing the song, from Sony Player home screen, previous icon, will go back, one level at a time.
2. First database build is longer. Afterwards, if no changes, it is shorter. If the boot up/database time bothers, just leave the DAP on all the time. Or start the boot up, and do something else for a few minutes.
3. The Walkman app is fine, and I have never had a desire to change it. It's a personal preference, though, so an option to try, and you can decide for yourself. I should also say that I have not even bothered to try any, so it is more fair to get feedback from people who have have tried, and have favorites other than the Walkman app.

May 22, 2024 at 3:45 AM Post #15,702 of 15,797
Here is a roundabout answer:

The WM1AM2 specs show lower output power for a capped version. But it does not list the power for un-capped low gain, so this is what is not clear.
The A306, however, does not have a High Gain setting in either the Capped, or Un-capped model, so there is only one setting.
Take a look at the power output for the HK vs the UK version, and you will see what Sony has listed in their Spec.
I see no reason to think that what is shown for the A306 would be different for the WM1AM2, as they are both using S-Master Direct Digital.

Going by this reasoning, the
- WM1AM2 (no-cap), low gain, would have approximately 35mW from the 3.5mm jack
- WM1AM2 (capped) would have 0.4-1.1mW (32Ω) from the 3.5mm jack

The 4.4mm jack would be similarly capped. The low gain un-capped would be much higher than the capped version.

***************************************************************************************************************************
WM1AM2
- HK
https://www.sony.com.hk/en/electronics/walkman/nw-wm1am2/specifications
FREQUENCY20-40,000 Hz​
MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW)60mW+60mW (High Gain)
FREQUENCY20-40,000 Hz​
MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW)250mW+250mW (High Gain)
*********************************************************************************************************************​
- UK https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nw-wm1am2/specifications

FREQUENCY 20-40,000 Hz

FREQUENCY 20-40,000 Hz

*****************************************************************************************************************************

NW-A306
- HK https://www.sony.com.hk/en/electron...layers-nw-nwz-a-series/nw-a306/specifications

35mW+35mW

- UK https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/...layers-nw-nwz-a-series/nw-a306/specifications

0.4-1.1mW (32Ω)

Thanks for that detailed overview. I have a 1ZM2 uncapped. And the original 1Z/As. I never use high gain. Work in audio - my hearing is my living and passion. There have been high gain discussions on this thread. Sony engineers dont like it as it compromises the music signal - so it's there to accommodate more inefficient headphones.

The fact from your data that uncapped has a less throttled non-high gain output would be reason enough for me. 😄

May 22, 2024 at 3:52 AM Post #15,703 of 15,797

I have roughly 500GB and it takes like a Minute for a complete rebuild and around 10 seconds for a refresh (not debloated)

May 22, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #15,704 of 15,797
How long will the w1am2's battery last if we use streaming (Tidal or UAPP) with wifi turned on. Airplane mode activated. Google apps disabled. And the screen is off almost all the time?

I have heard and read many reports that Sony's claims of long battery life can only be taken seriously for offline use.

Is it true that with the wifi on and streaming hires the battery evaporates quickly?

How long have you been using it?
Does anyone have this experience and can share?

Thanks!!

May 22, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #15,705 of 15,797
How long will the w1am2's battery last if we use streaming (Tidal or UAPP) with wifi turned on. Airplane mode activated. Google apps disabled. And the screen is off almost all the time?

I have heard and read many reports that Sony's claims of long battery life can only be taken seriously for offline use.

Is it true that with the wifi on and streaming hires the battery evaporates quickly?

How long have you been using it?
Does anyone have this experience and can share?

Thanks!!
The longest i've managed have been 14 hours (stock). At that point, the battery was at ~20% so i plugged it in to not damage it.

That is significantly shorter than playing offline music files with W.Music where i get around 30h before im at 20%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back