THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 18, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #586 of 1,068
Anyone tried this in Munich High End??

1716048575488.png
Think there were a few thoughts posted in the Munich review thread. (I'll go see if I can find it)

May 18, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #587 of 1,068
Did anyone listen to the Auris Headonia amp at Munich? I know it's maybe not aesthetically everyone's cup of tea for a tube amp but I know one person who heard it was very impressed (even with psvanes in it!).

Wondering why it's not gaining much traction / talked about vs the other 300b's..?
Auris have been rather left behind the last 3ish years. Maybe something to do with not returning emails from people like me who were considering an Auris over an Envy last year.

Their Nirvana used to be considered tube endgame though, I believe.

Things change fast.

May 18, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #588 of 1,068
Did you listen to different woods with AC and was there a substantial difference in signature? Or is it quite a subtle change akin to cable rolling for example?

I'm not sure how my experience applies but with the Caldera, I was able to compare Kingwood LTD, Cocobolo LTD, resin and normal stabilised.

They definitely don't sound the same and I would say that the effect is bigger than cable rolling but probably not as much as pad rolling.

May 18, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #589 of 1,068
I just learned ZMF is doing current production runs of the Eikon again (back by popular demand). There goes my wallet!

May 18, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #590 of 1,068
I got back home last night at 3am from an overnight business trip. While I've enjoyed listning to my portable gear on the road (getting to know my wonderful new WM1Zms DAP), I'm finally sitted at my desk for a lazy Saturday aftenroon llistening session. Putting on some headphones, kicking back, and losing myself in the music. That's my prescription for the rest of the day... 🙏

Yesterday's posts here made me reach out for the MDR-R10. In what is one of those cases where practice defies theory, these 40 ohm impedance headphones pair well with both the Glenn and Decware/ZMF OTL amps. I'm not sure why, but I don't look a gift hose in the mouth. If it sounds good, I'm happy. And, for today, GOTL it is for; a more assertive (and unusually powerful) OTL amp, with a bit of in-your-face presentation. Suits me fine at the moment.

1716061056903.png

I also had a package in the mail waiting for my return, a CD I orderd from Italy a couple of weeks ago. Fabrizio Bosso is a wonderful Italian jazz trumpeteer. This album, "You've Changed", has him gently accompanied by a string orchestra, and some guests singers on some tracks (as singer Dianne Reeves on the titular track). This mellow album is beautiful. The R10 was made for such recordings, rendering the trumpet sweet. My spirit soars as I listen and type ❤️

1716061086634.png

May 18, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #591 of 1,068
I got back home last night at 3am from an overnight business trip. While I've enjoyed listning to my portable gear on the road (getting to know my wonderful new WM1Zms DAP), I'm finally sitted at my desk for a lazy Saturday aftenroon llistening session. Putting on some headphones, kicking back, and losing myself in the music. That's my prescription for the rest of the day... 🙏

Yesterday's posts here made me reach out for the MDR-R10. In what is one of those cases where practice defies theory, these 40 ohm impedance headphones pair well with both the Glenn and Decware/ZMF OTL amps. I'm not sure why, but I don't look a gift hose in the mouth. If it sounds good, I'm happy. And, for today, GOTL it is for; a more assertive (and unusually powerful) OTL amp, with a bit of in-your-face presentation. Suits me fine at the moment.

1716061056903.png

I also had a package in the mail waiting for my return, a CD I orderd from Italy a couple of weeks ago. Fabrizio Bosso is a wonderful Italian jazz trumpeteer. This album, "You've Changed", has him gently accompanied by a string orchestra, and some guests singers on some tracks (as singer Dianne Reeves on the titular track). This mellow album is beautiful. The R10 was made for such recordings, rendering the trumpet sweet. My spirit soars as I listen and type ❤️

1716061086634.png
Love the tune. This version is nice.

1st time I heard it was on this 1958 recording of Billie Holiday, just a year before she died. Her voice was ravaged, but it didn't matter. She swung like crazy at all times:

May 18, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #592 of 1,068

1st time I heard it was on this 1958 recording of Billie Holiday, just a year before she died. Her voice was ravaged, but it didn't matter. She swung like crazy at all times:

What a singer!

I think I'll dive into this next. A CD set I bought over 30 years ago, the complete Decca recordings (1944-1950). It's been awhile since I spung those up..

1716066224915.png

May 18, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #593 of 1,068
Enjoying the MySphere 3.2 off the SAEQ Hyperion Ge and Holo Spring3 KTE. Using the Shanling ET-3 as source in this instance: Airplay from my iPhone. Streaming from QQ Music. Simple but enjoyable way to spend the weekend. :)

IMG_4786.jpeg
IMG_4785.jpeg

May 18, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #594 of 1,068
1000032546.jpg

Now spinning to my Archel 3 Pro with my JM XTC^2.5 plugged in.

May 18, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #595 of 1,068
"... one of those cases where practice defies theory... I don't look a gift hose in the mouth. If it sounds good, I'm happy".
Words to live by for sure!

Thanks for starting this thread and for the ongoing rabbit hole of discovery and exploration through the sharing of other's experiences 🍻

May 18, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #596 of 1,068

This is probably my favourite Billie Holiday album. Despite her ravaged voice, so much emotions nevertheless. And it helps that for such an old album, it is so well recorded and mastered. :)

May 19, 2024 at 2:03 AM Post #598 of 1,068
Hello ladies and gents, may I humbly ask here for an open or closed back headphone recommendation in the price range of 100 to max.200$?
I need it for my uncle, who wants to enter more seriously into our hobby, away from smartphone and his wireless Bose cans.
He wants to have a DAP actually (prefers a semi-portable setup with a circumaural headphone) and I already selected the new iBasso DX180 for him, because he doesn't want to spend more than 700 max. all together.
I don't know, I maybe thought of the HiFiMan Sundara closed, which is 150 now on Amazon, but I guess there might be some good other, more recent contenders in this price range, and I would be very thankful if someone would point me in the right direction? :beerchug:

May 19, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #599 of 1,068
Hello ladies and gents, may I humbly ask here for an open or closed back headphone recommendation in the price range of 100 to max.200$?
I need it for my uncle, who wants to enter more seriously into our hobby, away from smartphone and his wireless Bose cans.
He wants to have a DAP actually (prefers a semi-portable setup with a circumaural headphone) and I already selected the new iBasso DX180 for him, because he doesn't want to spend more than 700 max. all together.
I don't know, I maybe thought of the HiFiMan Sundara closed, which is 150 now on Amazon, but I guess there might be some good other, more recent contenders in this price range, and I would be very thankful if someone would point me in the right direction? :beerchug:
Sennheiser HD 6XX for sure. I would rather spend more on the headphone than the DAP. Can recommend Hiby R3 II or R4.
If there is more money left over for headphones, maybe Focal Elex?

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #600 of 1,068
I love it. I can't recommend battery systems enough. Granted it won't work for everyone, and if you happen to be fortunate enough to have good, clean electricity eminating from your wall, then your results might differ from mine, but the differences I'm getting are plainly obvious.
A wise audiophile sage once told me way back when that most system noise isn't noticeable until it's gone. I'm finding that to be especially true with my current gear and electricity.

Whether or not you choose Bluetti or another company's product is up to you. I researched all of the usual suspects and landed on Bluetti, but you may find another company suits your needs better. Regardless, I feel like either I have the world's worst electricity, or battery systems are this hobby's best kept secret.
Thanks man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back