Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
May 6, 2024 at 4:34 AM Post #1,486 of 1,511
I'd be curious as to how it compares to the Immanis, and how well the HM1 would drive the Immanis. I'm considering one, but not sure it would have enough power to bring the best out of it.

Specs are fitting the official requirements perfectly. It reportedly drives the Susvara perfectly, thus it should have no problem with the Immanis.
I have an Immanis on order and I'm going to use it with an HM1.

Edit: one user got his Immanis and tested it with the HM1, all seems to be fine
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/raal-1995-headphones-magna-and-immanis.971610/post-18106062

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #1,487 of 1,511
Specs are fitting the official requirements perfectly. It reportedly drives the Susvara perfectly, thus it should have no problem with the Immanis.
I have an Immanis on order and I'm going to use it with an HM1.

Edit: one user got his Immanis and tested it with the HM1, all seems to be fine
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/raal-1995-headphones-magna-and-immanis.971610/post-18106062
I should also be able to test with my HM1 when the Immanis arrives -- hopefully this week. Will report back.

May 6, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #1,488 of 1,511
Yes it's the amp I wouldn't want to miss in my setup anymore. Both on its own or as pre for my other amps. It's just spectacular.

1695191313987.png1695191342659.png
Hi it seems you also have the A6. How it pairs with the HM1? Do you use A6's internal DAC or use it as a streamer?

May 6, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #1,489 of 1,511
Hi it seems you also have the A6. How it pairs with the HM1? Do you use A6's internal DAC or use it as a streamer?
I'm not using the internal DAC of the A6. It's pretty mediocre imo. I'm currently using Wandla as DAC. A6 as streamer is great though.

May 8, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #1,490 of 1,511
Hi guys... I'm seriously considering this unit right now... so much so that plan to fly from Thailand to Singapore to listen to a demo unit soon.

Can anyone give me some idea how this amp pairs with Utopia 2022 and ZMF's Verite Closed / Atrium Open? I much prefer warmer sound, and my concern is that, with this amp, my headphones may sound a bit clinical.

Lastly, I'm I correct that HM1 allows me to adjust the output level of its XLR out (planning to use it as a pre-amp)? This is required as my Tube amplifier (driving the Susvara) was built with very high gain (4X KT120 in push&pull), so I had to lower the pre-gain of my V281 to the lowest, otherwise, I will hear background noise through my Susvara. I'm sure HM1 is in different league comparing with the V281 but unsure whether I will have the same noise (from gain) problem with my power amplifier if the pre-gain output cannot be adjusted.

Thanks!
I use utopia22 pair together and it sounds great. Having option to switch A or A+ servos adds some extra flavors.

HM1 is very neutral and transparent. If you like a warmer sound with it then it will depend on your dac.

I'd be curious as to how it compares to the Immanis, and how well the HM1 would drive the Immanis. I'm considering one, but not sure it would have enough power to bring the best out of it.

Me too. I’m really curious about the immanis and magna recently.

May 8, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #1,491 of 1,511
I've said it before, but to get the best out the HM1 make, sure your DAC outputs 5-6v minimum. The headroom is almost limitless, and the more input signal you give it, the more power that gets to the headphones.

May 9, 2024 at 6:09 AM Post #1,493 of 1,511
Does anyone have experience comparing Zahl hm1 with Niimbus?

May 15, 2024 at 5:02 AM Post #1,494 of 1,511
So this week I received my Puritan PSM156, and while I'm confident that it made the gap between the HM1 and my HPA4 widen considerably there was also another interesting side effect.
Before I had everything plugged into a generic power strip and there would be a quite audible pop when shutting the HM1 off with the headphone connected. Now shutdown is silent, and I'm intrigued how in the world a power conditioner can affect that..
Anyone with similar experiences?

May 15, 2024 at 6:05 AM Post #1,496 of 1,511
So before the gap was smaller?
Maybe you shouldn't buy psm156? :wink:
Maybe I should clarify since you seem to have misunderstood, before the PSM156 the HM1 had more punch and was more natural but the HPA4 had better staging and cleaner treble so while I preferred the HM1 I didn't prefer it 7k more, the gap was pretty small.
Now after I feel the punch and naturalness of HM1 is even better while staging and treble are basically on-par or better with HPA4 now.

Of course it's only been a week and I didn't do a blind test so time will tell if those impressions solidify or whether it was new-toy syndrome :wink:

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #1,498 of 1,511
For those that don't know. At Munich there was talk about a cheaper HM1 without the tone controls, preamp, and some other different things.

The amp will be untouched and it should be considerably cheaper. Might be shown off next years Munich high end.

May 15, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #1,499 of 1,511
For those that don't know. At Munich there was talk about a cheaper HM1 without the tone controls, preamp, and some other different things.

The amp will be untouched and it should be considerably cheaper. Might be shown off next years Munich high end.
No preamp? 😲that sounds like a feature, the one annoying thing about the HM1 is it doesn't have a power-amp mode and the volume pot is always in the signal path

May 15, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #1,500 of 1,511
No preamp? 😲that sounds like a feature, the one annoying thing about the HM1 is it doesn't have a power-amp mode and the volume pot is always in the signal path
I love the HM1 as a preamp so not having it kills a lot of my interest. Granted I paid for the full HM1 so wouldn't get it anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back