ZMF Auteur Thread
May 8, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #8,356 of 8,441
Has anyone directly compared the Auteur Classic to the Atrium Open? Curious to know how they compare.
Have you tried searching this thread for “Atrium” or the Atrium thread for “Auteur”? That’s how I’ve found some comparisons. Attending a CanJjam and listening to both would be better, but much less practical for me.

May 8, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #8,357 of 8,441
Have you tried searching this thread for “Atrium” or the Atrium thread for “Auteur”? That’s how I’ve found some comparisons. Attending a CanJjam and listening to both would be better, but much less practical for me.
I have, most of the replies seem to be in regard to the Auteur OG though. Not much info on the Classic vs the Atrium.

May 8, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #8,358 of 8,441
May 8, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #8,359 of 8,441
Has anyone directly compared the Auteur Classic to the Atrium Open? Curious to know how they compare.
I did. Had both at home for a few days at one point. The Atrium to me sounded a little dryer in the lower mids tonally, but with more weight and impact in the bass. It had a smoother, more resolving top end, without the slight “tizzy-ness” the AuC can have. The soundstage and layering is on another level completely with the Atrium. Way more depth in the stage and more air. There’s more sub bass on the AuC though, which is interesting, I guess since it has less of a mid bass emphasis.

I went with the AuC because there’s a pretty obvious glare (obvious to me) around 3khz on the Atrium, and it just made the mid presentation sound too aggressive. The Auteur is more balanced and neutral overall with a warmer lower midrange, so finally it won my favor and seems to me the better “all-rounder.” It’s not on the same level as the Atrium as far as detail, soundstage, layering, bass impact, and separation are concerned.

Edit: oh, and the Atrium came across a tab bit slower, softer, and more spaced-out overall than the more intimate and forward AuC.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #8,360 of 8,441
To me the Atrium Open was much darker than AuC, I love the "brightness" and sparkle I get on the AuC. At the end of the day, this made me prefer the AuC over the Atrium.

May 8, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #8,362 of 8,441
I use the Caldera off my solid state and the AuC off the Tube amp.
When I want a bit more details and maybe a bit extra clarity, like when playing classical music I go for the Caldera, when I am happy with Jazz, Soft Rock, Vocals and similar.... I usually get the AuC.
Caldera is more detailed and layered than AuC - but considering the price difference - The AuC is simply amazing.

May 8, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #8,363 of 8,441
I use the Caldera off my solid state and the AuC off the Tube amp.
When I want a bit more details and maybe a bit extra clarity, like when playing classical music I go for the Caldera, when I am happy with Jazz, Soft Rock, Vocals and similar.... I usually get the AuC.
Caldera is more detailed and layered than AuC - but considering the price difference - The AuC is simply amazing.
I can only imagine what the AuC sounds like off the ZMF/Decware Reference OTL. The Auteur scales like crazy and that amp is truly top notch.

May 8, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #8,364 of 8,441
ZMF/Decware Ref. OTL is really amazing with high impedance headphones. I have an Senn HD800 S on order... I am looking forward to trying it on the ZMF/Decware! - just to get a different sound signature from my beloved ZMFs!

May 8, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #8,365 of 8,441
I’ve almost sold my super-rare Manchurian Ash OG Auteurs on multiple occasions, but I can never quite bring myself to do it. They’re amazing to look at and sonically they still hold up, even against my high-end newer acquisitions.

The real question for me these days is whether or not to convert them to Classics. Now that I have another ZMF in the stable (Atrium Closed), I think I’ll probably keep them in their original form. They sound great to me as is, so my Head-Fi expenditures are likely better spent elsewhere.
Leave Auteur OG as is: once converted, cannot be restored. If you want Auteur Classic, save up for one !

May 11, 2024 at 12:16 AM Post #8,366 of 8,441
Can't stop marveling at the Ambrosia Maple of these cups when the light is juuuuust right. They just shimmer.
IMG_8730.jpeg

May 13, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #8,368 of 8,441
I am new to the Auteur Classic but it has managed something that neither the Atrium, Atticus, Verite or Aelous managed before.... it is staying in my system!
I tend to find most ZMFs a bit dark for my taste but somehow the Auteur Classic with Perforated Caldera pads strikes a great balance for me. Besides, it is such a beautiful headphone! I enjoy it the most off the tubes on the Decware ZMF OTL Reference amp, great combination!!!!

May 13, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #8,369 of 8,441
I am new to the Auteur Classic but it has managed something that neither the Atrium, Atticus, Verite or Aelous managed before.... it is staying in my system!
I tend to find most ZMFs a bit dark for my taste but somehow the Auteur Classic with Perforated Caldera pads strikes a great balance for me. Besides, it is such a beautiful headphone! I enjoy it the most off the tubes on the Decware ZMF OTL Reference amp, great combination!!!!
Interesting. Seems to be a good amount of people who prefer the sound of the Auteur over the Atrium, even if the Atrium is the more technical headphone.

May 13, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #8,370 of 8,441

Interesting. I had an Aeolus and sold it a while back. But I really want an Auteur. Someday I will get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back