ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
May 15, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #2,416 of 2,488
Have you ever tried red cedar? Imagine that on those lovely Bokeh cups..... If you do it i'll have a 2nd Bokeh! :)

1715788972145.png
Not only beautiful, but your headphones would keep the moths away as well
Have you considered woods that fluoresce? I made a list with approximate hardnesses last year because I got curious about it. I’ve never even heard of a lot of these, so I don’t have a clue about suitability or availability.

Albizia 1,020#
Amendoim 1,780#
Coffeetree 1,390#
Lebbek 1,330#
Locust, Black 1,700#
Locust, Honey 1,580#
Mango (heartwood) 1,070#
Myrtle (heartwood) 1,270#
Pistachio 1,930#

(After looking at my list I realized you just did a Ltd. with Mango. Haven’t seen any black light pics yet though.)
Blacklight activated headphones?!? Oh man! I'm not sure they'd ever actually make it onto my head.

giphy (2).gif

May 16, 2024 at 6:37 AM Post #2,418 of 2,488
I think my Bokeh overall sounds better than the Atticus I just got. Not that the Atticus is bad but by comparison it's definitely lean in the bass and fullness of sound.

May 16, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #2,419 of 2,488
May 16, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #2,420 of 2,488

That's just my impressions. The Bokeh has deeper bass and is more lively than the Atticus to my ears. Especially on my Feliks Echo Mk2 tube amp.

May 16, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #2,421 of 2,488
That's just my impressions. The Bokeh has deeper bass and is more lively than the Atticus to my ears. Especially on my Feliks Echo Mk2 tube amp.
Do you know if the pads that came with it are the Ori lambskin pads? I do agree the Bokeh is bassier, but shouldn't be by that much. Both my Atticus' midbass is just a hair less than the Bokeh. On a decent amp it slams with authority. What you're describing sounds off, like either the pads are not the stock pads, or something is wrong with the drivers. I've owned the Echo MK2 and ran my Cherry Atticus on it for months with tremendous success. Even on stock tubes the bass was full and plentiful. It shouldn't sound lean. Any driver deformations? If you remove the pads and inspect the driver, it should look smooth and domed outward. Any dents, divots, or creases would alter the sound.

May 16, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #2,422 of 2,488
Do you know if the pads that came with it are the Ori lambskin pads? I do agree the Bokeh is bassier, but shouldn't be by that much. Both my Atticus' midbass is just a hair less than the Bokeh. On a decent amp it slams with authority. What you're describing sounds off, like either the pads are not the stock pads, or something is wrong with the drivers. I've owned the Echo MK2 and ran my Cherry Atticus on it for months with tremendous success. Even on stock tubes the bass was full and plentiful. It shouldn't sound lean. Any driver deformations? If you remove the pads and inspect the driver, it should look smooth and domed outward. Any dents, divots, or creases would alter the sound.

My Atticus came with the Ori Suede solid pads. I want to get new pads but don't know which ones to get. I'm guessing one of the Ori options. My Atticus is the Cocobolo version if that means anything.

May 16, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #2,423 of 2,488
My Atticus came with the Ori Suede solid pads. I want to get new pads but don't know which ones to get. I'm guessing one of the Ori options. My Atticus is the Cocobolo version if that means anything.
Try the Ori Lambskin pads, that's the pad that was the stock pad and came mounted on the Atticus when new. The Ori Suede pad was the alternative pad that lessens the midbass hump and brings the treble up more. That would probably explain why you're finding it lean, i'm guessing.

May 16, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #2,424 of 2,488
Try the Ori Lambskin pads, that's the pad that was the stock pad and came mounted on the Atticus when new. The Ori Suede pad was the alternative pad that lessens the midbass hump and brings the treble up more. That would probably explain why you're finding it lean, i'm guessing.

I'm assuming the solid pads and not perforated right?

May 16, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #2,426 of 2,488
Correct, solid pads for sure.

Okay I'll try that and see what happens. I also wonder what non Bokeh pads would work well with the Bokeh. My ears touch the drivers so maybe a deeper pads would be better.

May 16, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #2,427 of 2,488
Okay I'll try that and see what happens. I also wonder what non Bokeh pads would work well with the Bokeh. My ears touch the drivers so maybe a deeper pads would be better.
Can't hurt to try any you have. I have a bunch of pads and tend to just stick anything on any set just to see what happens. Most of the time it's not good hahaha. But sometimes you find something that works well for you. I love the Auteur suede pads on the AC, and think it's decent on the Bokeh as well. Not as good as stock, but not too far off either, and much more comfortable. You have an Ori suede set right there, give it a try! :)

May 16, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #2,428 of 2,488
If you haven't and have some, try the paracord trick where you put it inside of the pad under the foam part so it lifts the pad a bit and move your ears maybe enough not to touch. It's what I do on my pads.

May 16, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #2,429 of 2,488
I love the Auteur suede pads on the AC, and think it's decent on the Bokeh as well. Not as good as stock, but not too far off either, and much more comfortable.
I've been using the Auteur solid suede pads on the Bokeh for the past month or so and really like them. Main reason was, as you mentioned, the comfort was a lot better for me than the Bokeh pads but they don't muck with the sound too much. They seem a bit bassier and warmer/thicker sounding than the Bokeh hybrids but don't sound muddy at all to me - mids and highs are still crisp and clear.

May 16, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #2,430 of 2,488
I've been using the Auteur solid suede pads on the Bokeh for the past month or so and really like them. Main reason was, as you mentioned, the comfort was a lot better for me than the Bokeh pads but they don't muck with the sound too much. They seem a bit bassier and warmer/thicker sounding than the Bokeh hybrids but don't sound muddy at all to me - mids and highs are still crisp and clear.

I was considering the Caldera lambskin thick for my Bokeh. But they are perforated. Is that bad for the Bokeh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back