Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 4, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #150,541 of 152,243
Qobuz is GREAT for every kind of music I've ever spun through it. From extremely well-recorded harpsichord to Run The Jewels, the sheer layered intensity of metal lords Sumac to the shimmering beauty of Julia Holter. Even really weird dungeon synth. It plays them all with aplomb. :)
EDIT to the above post: I'm realizing the query was actually more about the depth of the catalog on Qobuz and not the sound quality. To that end, Qobuz's catalog has increased significantly over the past couple of years. When I first joined up it was somewhat common to not be able to find something I was searching for but now I very rarely have to jump over to Apple Music to spin an album I cannot find in Qobuz.

May 4, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #150,542 of 152,243
Monday I get a Vali 3, Tuesday some Bendix 2C51’s, most likely by then a GE 5670 or two.

May 4, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #150,543 of 152,243
I don't use any streaming music service as a primary source, but like the way Qobuz sounds and that it is fully integrated into Roon. I use it for Roon Radio and for exploring new things. When I find something I really like and want to hear over and over I don't rely on the idea that Quobuz nor any other service will be there tomorrow, I purchase it either as a CD or as a download and store it on my server.

May 4, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #150,544 of 152,243
We first "met" in an AOL chat room. :)
4447e683-85bf-4adc-a623-0e373ec5f624_text.gif

May 4, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #150,545 of 152,243
I met my wife in a Hobbit room, reading Lord of the Rings was very big prior to the movies. It was part of a coffee house scene where musicians, artists, and a specific generation hung out. And yes Bill this was after the Beat Generation.🤪
I met wifey while on the road playing at a Holiday Inn back when they had great live bands playing in huge lounges.

May 4, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #150,546 of 152,243
Have you used a green CD marker to color your ears green for maximum audio enjoyment? 🤔
Well, duh. Yeah. You mean you don't? Newbie. 🤣

May 4, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #150,547 of 152,243
I like Heart too, and I'm happy you've discovered them. But they are not exactly prog... if you want prog, listen to Strawbs, Soft Machine, Camel, Budgie, Gentle Giant, King Crimson. Gong... even Genesis, Yes, ELP, some Kansas..... and newer stuff like Porcupine Tree or Marillion or Dream Theater. Some people insist that Rush, Pink Floyd and Tool are prog, but they don't fall into that category for me. To each his own!
Oh for sure, they aren't prog. That was more a point to the catalogue and rock in general.

Ooo thanks! I'll check your list, I have several there already but some are things I probably heard growing up but forgot about. The great thing about having an Yggy is finding old stuff and enjoying it once again. Sad to say, but the last cd player/dac I enjoyed was my Carver 18bit 8x unit. Early prog and art rock always seem to get lumped together which provides some nice variety. Rush and Pink Floyd are unicorns for me. Procol Harum is prog-ish. Fun fact, my mom sang in the choir for their live with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra album. I was 2 so I probably missed the show! How times have changed....

Edit: I also buy what I like on Qobuz or others because artists should be compensated, and remasters of music I purchased in the 80s+ frequently make trade offs or reinterpretations that don't add value to my experience.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #150,548 of 152,243
We'll hit 42 this coming October.
42 as well with Mrs. G., this July.

Using a Node 2i to an outboard DAC since 2018. I only use it for my main system. Other rooms are Sonos. I like the Bluesound controls from my iMac Pro and iPad Pro.

I'm not in an upgrade mode currently although I keep eyeing a Yggdrasil or future Gungnir and two bathroom remodels are keeping that in check.

Looking forward to seeing Jonathan Butler live at Jazz Alley in Seattle in a couple week and listening to him on Qobuz now.

By-the-way, don't mind the WA State liquor tax as being retired and no state income tax, it works for us even as a whiskey and gin guy.

Cheers (Also, with spending time with grandchild, travel, and projects, it is sure hard keeping up with you all!)

May 4, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #150,549 of 152,243
Don't say 'yech' until you listen for a while (on Qobuz). Kuniko is an out-of-this-world percussionist. Great test for your gear's dynamics/attack/decay.

RoonShareImage-638503686521457410.png
This Kuniko album is a fantastic listen!!! Extremely enjoyable and fun. I really appreciate all of the subtle nuances of her playing. Stellar recommendation!

May 4, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #150,551 of 152,243
IMG_7873.jpegIMG_7874.jpeg

Just enough flex and bend. I liked the idea of using shorter body connectors with springs so the bend could begin earlier. Neglex 2549 cable by Mogami, a favorite.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #150,552 of 152,243
and newer stuff like Porcupine Tree or Marillion or Dream Theater
+1, +1, +1

Porcupine Tree makes definitive Prog Rock. That Steven Wilson guy... is a genius. IMHO/YMMV

May 4, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #150,553 of 152,243
I like Heart too, and I'm happy you've discovered them. But they are not exactly prog... if you want prog, listen to Strawbs, Soft Machine, Camel, Budgie, Gentle Giant, King Crimson. Gong... even Genesis, Yes, ELP, some Kansas..... and newer stuff like Porcupine Tree or Marillion or Dream Theater. Some people insist that Rush, Pink Floyd and Tool are prog, but they don't fall into that category for me. To each his own!
Don’t forget Transatlantic, Spocks Beard, The Flower Kings and even Enchant. Especially the first mentioned.

Oh, and my wife has put up with me for 44 years so far. We passed that anniversary a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #150,554 of 152,243
It is fascinating to me (as an engineer) that there are no proper standards, such that any service would be supporter by a streamer, and vice versa.
Totally agree on having standards,
Standards are nice for the consumer, if those standards are any good.
Standards also have their problems.
One of them is that they tend to inhibit progress, as they're usually designed around a lowest common denominator without leaving too much wiggle room to innovate without breaking something.
And then there's the fact that each and every streaming service is using their own DRM, their own encryptions, their own data formats and APIs for library and event management…

Granted, all of the above are just implementation details, they could all be standardized.
Iff there was a will to do so.
But there isn't.

And there isn't for a reason so simple and straight forward that it's almost comical:
Unless you're running a non-profit, walled gardens work. If your goal is to make payroll each week, you have little choice but to retain control over every aspect of your customers' experience.

Tidal and Qobuz are tiny in comparison to the rest of the streaming services landscape. For small players in tech, the calculation is a little different. For them, it pays to let a third party do some of the work for them. The small guys can benefit hugely from letting someone else spend tens of thousands of hours on writing player suites and endpoint integrations, it affords them to spend more of their already limited resources on perfecting the core parts of the streaming service itself. That's why you see KKBOX, Tidal, and Qobuz integration in Roon, but none of the other services. I'm sure Roon would love to be able to support Apple Music and Spotify, as it would drive millions of new potential customers to their subscription. But the larger streamers have little to no interest in letting a third party control how the end user experiences their service. From their own point of view, allowing a third party to control the user-facing aspects of their services would turn what they perceive as a first-class service into a mere commodity.

The small ones can afford giving up this control over such a large and important aspect of their product. They might even have to just to be able to survive against the top dogs in the field. But even for the small ones there comes a day when they have to make a decision if they want to stay "open" like that, or if they should rather put up a few new walls to protect their growing brand.
Just look at Qobuz' own native player apps, for example. Just a few years ago, they were nothing short of infuriatingly useless. Not any more, though. The Qobuz player applications are getting good enough to work as well or better and more stable than Roon does. In terms of polish and feature set, they no longer need to hide from industry standards like macOS' Music app or Spotify's mobile applications.
I would not at all be surprised if and when the day comes when Qobuz decides that they can grow faster and with less friction by reducing their reliance and dependence on a third party like Roon. They're not quite there yet, of course. But they're getting there, and Qobuz Connect is a clear step into that general direction of taking back more control over their product.

Standards are nice and all. In the physical world, they can save a lot of money and make a lot of companies' and people's lives easier. But in tech, particularly in digital services, standards are problematic. Especially in the eyes of the brass and most marketing folks, standards are a mortal enemy to everything they're working towards. And that's why I'm not holding my breath for a streamer to one day support them all, or even just most of them. It's more likely for the world to figure out a way to travel and communicate faster than light than to figure out how to build and market a streamer that offers first-party support of all of the big streaming service providers. It's just not going to happen.

Endpoints, though? They're a whole different story, and might be worth looking into.

I'm sure we could rant for days on that subject but it would diminish the percentage of cat and dog photos. That would be bad.
Amen to that!

66446881040__22A383FA-28AB-40BB-96E1-8BAA5D959FBF.jpeg

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #150,555 of 152,243
I can access any and all of my music without Roon as well, I just never found the need.😁

Thanks go out to @Moondog55 for some amazing smoked salmon. A wonderful surprise today!

IMG_7861.jpeg

Lots of sanding, finish, and final assembly left but my dados are cut into Indian rosewood. The only tricky part but I have my methods.😁

Beauty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back